Author Topic: To Auto or not to auto, that is the question  (Read 2661 times)

Motorrad

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
To Auto or not to auto, that is the question
« on: Apr 30, 2007, 10:59:57 PM »
Plan on running a 4.3L chevy in my 82 pickup... Now, Im torn between running an auto trans or a stick.
I have access to  a TH350, TH400, and possibly a 700R4, in the auto catagory.
In the stick catagory I have access to  an L45 and possibly others (havnt looked for more yet)

I plan on running dual cases (yota), just curious as to what others run, or oppinions on running a auto. all my 4x's have been stick, except my wifes stock 91 4.3L blazer. which is not a 4x if you ask me....

olemisstoy88

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -381
  • Male Posts: 521
  • Member since Dec '05
    • View Profile
Re: To Auto or not to auto, that is the question
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 06:53:25 AM »
no auto, stick is more fun and better. nuto is easier , i guess, but stick is more control and better manuverability
88. 4x2  Total chaos 6.5" caddy uniball kit  Racerunner 2.5 x 14" coilovers on front, 62" deavers, fabbed engine/shock cage, bed cage, roll cage and great frame, complete int., (5) 5x4.5 outlaw II w/235 buckshots <----- parting out! make offer

'84 4x4 . 5 speed 22r  3.5" lift  33x10.5s bfg MTs  Hannamann Glass frontcap, 32/36weber, LCE swirlie plate, Magnaflow,
"Im madder than Toby Keith at a Dixie Chicks concert"

Yota Tony

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 08:28:58 AM »
This is openning a can of worms.
It's dependent on the you, the driver.

I've wheeled both auto and manual rigs, I like my manual.
Anthony

Looking For 82-83 Hilux - Must Be 5spd, able to run and drive, Square headlights and no rust!
82 Build - http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=31283 - Dead

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 07:50:32 PM »
A good friend of mine owns both a 4runner with a 22r, 5 speed with a Marlin Ultimate and a Truggy 4.3 and an auto trans (I believe its a TH 400) and a Marlin Ultimate backing it up. Both do very well and they both have plus' and minus'. If you go with the auto you should get a custom torque converter with as low of a stall as possible so that it won't feel like you're in neutral going downhill but the downside of this is when it's sitting still it won't want to stay put. You almost don't need crawler gears since not only can you create your own reduction with the proper use of the skinny pedal but you can use your left foot to slow your progress with the brakes. The auto is also easier on parts since it will absorb a lot of the pressure put on other parts, the stick is unforgiving in this area. The stick with crawler gears is awsome though, I love a stick with gearing. Just drop it in double low and watch it climb walls. It really boils down to what you personally like, I like the autos they make it cheaper to build a crawler since you don't really need the crawlbox saving you some $ to put somewhere else on your rig.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

7Jake

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 24
  • Member since Jun '06
    • View Profile
    • Norcal Crawlers 4WD Club
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2007, 02:59:00 PM »
You may want to look into smog and the use of your pickup depending on where you're located.  I'm in CA and currently setting up my 4.3L with a 4L60E tranny and dual stock cases.  It'll be a few months before I know how I like it, but for the reason that my engine is a '94 vortec and the computer controlls the transmission as well as the engine, I stuck with the stock auto tranny. As previously noted, it's "your" choice. I had a 5 speed with duals and loved it, but now I'm excited about checking out the Auto.  Most say they like their manual, but I don't know anyone in my club that isn't anxious to see how my auto with duals will perform.  I was going to put 4.7 in the second case, but decided to try stock cases after much deliberation and a few comments from Marlin's shop.  One thing with the Auto, the adapters require that the output shaft be changed to match the toyota cases and depending on who does it, it could be a few extra bucks.  I've been quoted from $ 900.00-1200.00 just to pull everything out and put in the new shaft. However, I've got one guy who said he can do it for about $350.00.  I though about trying it myself, but ruled that one out. Depending on vehicle use and particular tranny's you may even have to look into a torque converter lockup kit and a reluctor ring kit. For my 4L60E I've got about $750.00 just in the adapter and reluctor ring kits, add the installation of the output and your looking at about a grand for the tranny setup.  Not sure how that pencils out compared to a manual, but worth investigating.  Also, if you're in CA, smog may dictate which tranny you run, based on engine model year etc.,  Check out this simple write-up I did on notes while I was planning my swap. http://www.nv4wd.net/Default.aspx?tabid=52&forumid=12&postid=8&view=topic

SQUIRREL MONSTER

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 151
  • Male Posts: 657
  • Member since Jul '05
  • squirrel powered by hampsterous oxide!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2007, 10:58:43 PM »
see now i agree with evrything evryone is saying altho think of this.... with a manual, you can pick a gear and go up, in an auto, if you want a taller gear your tranny has to shift through the first unwanted gears to get to that one. this may be a good or a bad thing depending in wich way you look at it. also, while a stick you can idle up or let the clutch out and move onto obsticles, what will the auto tranny do once it hits an obsticle that makes the tranny slip? obviously you could romp on the gas a bit for the trans to lock in but at the same time this requires more effort then allowing the gears and idle rpms to do it.

being the tranny choices you have other then the 700R4, you have 3 gears on the other trannies. making a combination of 15 gears instead of 20. now as far as selection goes, i dont ever see a problem with finding that "right gear" with a stick. 3 speed you always have 1st gear you need to start with in order to get to that right gear.

......... not to mention the manual trans from a toy is only 85lbs. compared to the massive weight of an auto.