Author Topic: tow rating  (Read 2757 times)

red

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 199
  • Male Posts: 1,616
  • Member since Jan '05
  • irish redhead texan, interesting combo
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
tow rating
« on: Mar 22, 2007, 04:18:33 PM »
out of curiosity how much can the 2 door 4 runners tow at highway speeds? what mods would be required to tow a ski boat at 65-70mph safely?
read and comment :whip:

USAF EOD tech

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: tow rating
« Reply #1 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:38:57 PM »
you should not tow that fast. it will NOT be safe.
how much does the trailer and boat wight?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:46:00 PM »
I think a good rule of thumb is not to tow anything thats that weighs more than the tow rig. Which doesn't leave alot of stuff for Yota's.  I jet ski or two or maybe a couple of dirt bikes is probly the limit.
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:50:57 PM »
I think a good rule of thumb is not to tow anything thats that weighs more than the tow rig. Which doesn't leave alot of stuff for Yota's.  I jet ski or two or maybe a couple of dirt bikes is probly the limit.
That's a good thumb rule to go by, for a yota I'd even cut it down a bit. My toy weight is 4K and I try not to tow more than 3K, at lest not out of town.

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 22, 2007, 06:55:54 PM »
I don't think my 80 would even to a small trailer with a quad on it. To gutless!!! :smack:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Mar 22, 2007, 07:09:07 PM »
I don't think my 80 would even to a small trailer with a quad on it. To gutless!!! :smack:
I regularly pull a 2.5K tent trailer, max I ever pulled was 4K to the landfill (ran it over the scale) don't want to go that high again. for the last few weekends I've been going down and getting  1/2 to 3/4 of a yard of concrete and taking it home in a U-cart. don't know what it is, butt its HEAVY! (best mithbusters voice) don't try this at home!

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 22, 2007, 09:05:13 PM »
I hand loaded 1995 lbs. of rocks into the back of my 84 XtraCab 4x4 at the quarry...the lady running the scale was shaking her head at me when she read the weight off.

The guy at the jobsite was moaning at how they'd have to carry it all up the hill to the pond, i just shifted into 4WD low and backed up over the curb, up over a spot in the terraced landscaping where it had collapsed, and right up the hill to the pond.
The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 23, 2007, 03:35:33 PM »
i was afraid yall would say it was low. so about 3500 is the safe max on the highway?

not certain on the exact weight of a boat/trailer, planning ahead right now if i sell my gmc for a 4runner. but i figure 5000 lbs would be a good estimate of a ski boat and trailer. is there any way to safely  get an old 4runner to pull that on the highway? trailer brakes of course, but is it possible to pull that safely with a 4runner? keep in mind this is in texas so mountains and big hills are not a problem. i figure a power boost would be required, maybe swap to a diesel would be a good idea. trailer brakes as well as upgrading the brakes on the 4runner. i dont wanna slam on the brakes or do a hard maneuver and cause an accident.

USAF EOD tech

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #8 on: Mar 23, 2007, 09:23:39 PM »
i was afraid yall would say it was low. so about 3500 is the safe max on the highway?

not certain on the exact weight of a boat/trailer, planning ahead right now if i sell my gmc for a 4runner. but i figure 5000 lbs would be a good estimate of a ski boat and trailer. is there any way to safely  get an old 4runner to pull that on the highway? trailer brakes of course, but is it possible to pull that safely with a 4runner? keep in mind this is in texas so mountains and big hills are not a problem. i figure a power boost would be required, maybe swap to a diesel would be a good idea. trailer brakes as well as upgrading the brakes on the 4runner. i dont wanna slam on the brakes or do a hard maneuver and cause an accident.

Again I would not tow over 3K, and I would not go faster than 55 (ok maybe 60 tops)
how big a boat are you thinking of? 5K is a lot of boat and trailer.

I had a 23ft glasspar with a chev 350, vo280 out drive in it. on the trailer it came to
5.5K it was an off shore boat.

if your thinking 17-20ft, out board, flat botom or mild V I think that would put you about in the 2.5 to 3K range.

RRMike

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Dec '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 23, 2007, 10:00:12 PM »
out of curiosity how much can the 2 door 4 runners tow at highway speeds? what mods would be required to tow a ski boat at 65-70mph safely?

The only way you're going to go 65-70 mph with  5klbs and a 2 door runner is to drop them out of a plane so I'm not too concerned about the safety of it.  My pretty decent running 22r can't even lug my rig up to 70 without a tailwind  :gap:

brc

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 139
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Famous last words - Hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 24, 2007, 07:27:26 AM »
I drive a 85 four runner and tow m 19ft north river jet boat all over washington.  I have 5in lift 35's and 5.29's.  I drive 60-65mph on level highway.  45mph on big hills.  I was never to worried about towing it, the problem I had was stopping.  I installed rear discs and FJ80 MC and it will stop "ok" now.  I have never weighed my boat and trailer but I am guessing 3-3500lbs give or take a few hundred.  I bought a 1 ton now and it doesn't know the boat is even behind it.  Jsut my 2cents

BRC
1999 CTD 2500 Sport TST/MBRP/AFE/K&N and Quadzilla 315's yada-yada-yada
1985 Four runner 5in lift 35's lockers etc.
1973 FJ buggy project INWK 3RZ SM420 Mini Axles and Aluminum tub/cowl building to be light weight

moto

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:13:14 AM »
1 ton running gear and a small block would solve your problem

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #12 on: Mar 24, 2007, 01:34:56 PM »
Again I would not tow over 3K, and I would not go faster than 55 (ok maybe 60 tops)
how big a boat are you thinking of? 5K is a lot of boat and trailer.

I had a 23ft glasspar with a chev 350, vo280 out drive in it. on the trailer it came to
5.5K it was an off shore boat.

if your thinking 17-20ft, out board, flat botom or mild V I think that would put you about in the 2.5 to 3K range.
ok, so i was thinking a boat would weigh more. the size boat i'm talking about is right around 20ft, possibly a small block v8 at the biggest motor, probably an outboard (i dont own the boat, just planning here). so you think a ski boat with a mild V would weigh in with a trailer at roughly 3k pounds? if thats the case then with some power upgrades an old 4runner should be able to tow it on the highway and with the v6 brake upgrades should stop it easily. not looking for an offshore boat, just a plain old ski boat.

USAF EOD tech

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Mar 24, 2007, 08:55:48 PM »
if your not going into salt water you maybe able to use elct. trailer brakes.

stopping is going to be the biggest factor. even with brake up grades.

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 24, 2007, 09:30:28 PM »
The only way you're going to go 65-70 mph with  5klbs and a 2 door runner is to drop them out of a plane so I'm not too concerned about the safety of it.  My pretty decent running 22r can't even lug my rig up to 70 without a tailwind  :gap:

I dunno My 87 22r P/U with New 30x9.50 TXR's does 70 no prob. Then again going up this one hill on I-90 There always seems to be a head wind and even then i keep a sustained 70mph. However I do not recomend going all "Fast and Furious" with our yotas. At 86mph things are gonna get real crazy. HAHA
Starting from scratch again...

YotaChris

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 274
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 24, 2007, 10:58:53 PM »
my 85 4x4 xtra-cab 22r pulls alright with a cam and doug thorley header and a v6 radiator. I towed a trailer loaded down with firewood, golf cart, a Quad, and A dirtbike with some gear and more firewood in the back of the truck out to the desert with no problems except one hill took me down to 45. But that wasn't no 5000 pound boat trailer either. I don't think the 4 runner suspension could even take that much weight. And don't listen to these guys,   sure it gets a little hairy around 82-95mph but at 100 it smooths out and purrs like a kitten! :gap: I wouldn't recommend it towing a trailer tho. :screwy: LOL
I LOVE MY YOTAS!!

SACD_Runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 217
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Mar 25, 2007, 01:57:59 AM »
my 85 4x4 xtra-cab 22r pulls alright with a cam and doug thorley header and a v6 radiator. I towed a trailer loaded down with firewood, golf cart, a Quad, and A dirtbike with some gear and more firewood in the back of the truck out to the desert with no problems except one hill took me down to 45. But that wasn't no 5000 pound boat trailer either. I don't think the 4 runner suspension could even take that much weight. And don't listen to these guys,   sure it gets a little hairy around 82-95mph but at 100 it smooths out and purrs like a kitten! :gap: I wouldn't recommend it towing a trailer tho. :screwy: LOL

And on the 5 o'clocknews "there was an idiot doing 100mph on the freeway in a toyota, when it lose control and rolled 32 times befor coming to a rest on it's top." haha ill be watchin out for ya. lol
Starting from scratch again...

brainlessfool

• Member since Jun '02
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #17 on: Mar 25, 2007, 05:57:54 PM »
 :funny:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #18 on: Mar 25, 2007, 06:16:08 PM »
 :headscratch: :screwy: I used to tow a 18 ft. travel trailer with my 4runner, and with my 84 truck I used to tow 2 Sea Doo's with a cabover camper on its back. I also would flat-tow my Willys with my 80 longbed. Never had any issues in any instance, just make sure whatever you are towing has its own brakes to help stop.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

red [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #19 on: Mar 25, 2007, 07:47:38 PM »