Author Topic: Sloppy knuckles  (Read 3214 times)

rmoore

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
Sloppy knuckles
« on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:48:10 PM »

I have an 85 straight axle.  It has slop in the drivers side knuckle and I know that it has something to do with the trundle bearings { I think}.  Can any body give me an idea on how to fix this or service the bearings.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Sloppy knuckles
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:58:12 PM »
   I have an 85 straight axle.  It has slop in the drivers side knuckle and I know that it has something to do with the trundle bearings { I think}.  Can any body give me an idea on how to fix this or service the bearings.
what is the preload set on your trunions bearings? have you ever replaced the bearings? if not, they are probably worn out. Jack it up and wiggle the knuckle around see how much play is in it
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

rmoore [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 44
  • Member since Jan '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 16, 2007, 03:15:19 PM »
There is slop only in the drivers side. I have no idea on how to set the preload.  Is this basically like wheel bearings?  Can I just pull the steering arm off and chek them or do I have to pull the axle and and go thru a bunch of bs?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:15:52 PM »
actually  they are  alot like wheel bearings,  the inside rides  on the steering arm  and the outside  , the taper, rides  on the axle ball

if its really sloppy  im sure  when you take it  out  the bearing will fall to peices

but its GOT  to come out.

Marlins  knuckle rebuild kit is like $75  and  has  all the gaskets  and felts/wipers  and the trunion bearings  for both sides  of your truck, 

you'll need  some snap ring pliers  and basic METRIC hand tools, 
a 10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm

lots  and LOTS  of towels,  a couple of  cans of bearing grease  and  some more towels
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:20:42 PM »
actually  they are  alot like wheel bearings,  the inside rides  on the steering arm  and the outside  , the taper, rides  on the axle ball

if its really sloppy  im sure  when you take it  out  the bearing will fall to peices

but its GOT  to come out.

Marlins  knuckle rebuild kit is like $75  and  has  all the gaskets  and felts/wipers  and the trunion bearings  for both sides  of your truck, 

you'll need  some snap ring pliers  and basic METRIC hand tools, 
a 10mm,12mm,14mm,17mm

lots  and LOTS  of towels,  a couple of  cans of bearing grease  and  some more towels
I would have to add make sure you are getting STOCK toyota bearings (which are NGK and Koyo) I believe the trunion bearings are NGKs. Dont try to save a buck by getting cheaper kits which do NOT include these... (like the ones trailgear sells, chinese bearings) just my two cents

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #5 on: Feb 16, 2007, 05:35:11 PM »
Amen brotha
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

tufsurf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 68
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:11:44 PM »
Just finished my "Sloppy Knuckles"   :rofl2: rebuild, used Marlins kit it worked perfect. also used every rag I had in my garage, all my old t-shirts,bed sheets, curtains and any other fabric I could find. get a bucket of grease too. maybe a 56mm socket. research some threads on the subject before you go through all this...as you put it, "bs". you dont want to do this more than once per side.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:43:11 PM »
maybe a 56mm socket.
u mean a 54 mm socket?
RIP KYOTA

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2007, 07:44:38 PM »
maybe a 56mm socket.
u mean a 54 mm socket?
RIP KYOTA

tufsurf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:37:54 PM »
 :smack: i stand corrected :hammerhead:

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Member since Nov '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 02, 2007, 05:54:05 PM »
:smack: i stand corrected :hammerhead:
thats what i'm here for :yesnod:

haha just kidding cheers :beerchug:
RIP KYOTA

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 02, 2007, 06:10:42 PM »
if your going to do one side, why not think about doing both.  esp if you don't know when the last time the axle was rebuilt.  x2 on the toyota bearings.   And yes repacking the birfs is a greasy messy job, but fun..   :yesnod:
I like to Drive!

tufsurf

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:26:35 PM »
gotta admit it all that mess and work was well worth the reward when you drive away and every thing works  :thumbs:

Fearofrunner

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Male Posts: 620
  • Member since Dec '06
  • HOW AN 84 SHOULD LOOK
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Mar 09, 2007, 01:50:25 PM »
Come on guy's all this great info and no link for the guy

http://www.birfield.com/~morgan/tech/axle/

thank pirate's FAQ thread, i have used it many time's and has some of the absolute best info! Next to marlin that is  :cool:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=459180

Wermz84

• Rock Nerd!
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 921
  • Male Posts: 3,518
  • Member since May '05
  • Ouch My Eye!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Mar 10, 2007, 10:35:58 PM »
gotta admit it all that mess and work was well worth the reward when you drive away and every thing works  :thumbs:

Good Job!  :thumbs:

I like to Drive!

hollywood_toy90

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 79
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 12, 2007, 09:37:05 AM »
this isnt that bad of a job really, if your good it might take you like 30-40 min a side and like i said earlier it really isnt that bad. if you take your time you wont even get that messy, wear rubber gloves when packing the birfs and your hands will stay pretty clean.  i did it this weekend when i re-geared and it didnt take long at all.  make sure when you put the steering arms back on you torque them back to the 100 ft-lbs!!!!! that is very important!  good luck man!!!

P.S. think of the "bs" more as practice for when you are on the trail, the more you have done it the better you will be and faster, which in turns means you are back wheelin faster, and i know we all want that!