Author Topic: Cut and Turn Knuckles  (Read 3052 times)

CRSHROX

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
  • Crashin' Rox and having fun !
    • View Profile
Cut and Turn Knuckles
« on: Sep 17, 2006, 09:53:37 PM »
 :confused:   Im trying to get some information on how to or who has experience in cutting and turning the knuckles on a solid axle front end to improve pinion angle and regain some caster ???? HELP !!
Happiness is shiny new parts for the beater truck !

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
Re: Cut and Turn Knuckles
« Reply #1 on: Sep 17, 2006, 10:31:08 PM »
It'll limit your compression travel, by way of the pinion angle.  Why do you have to cut/turn? How about a drop hanger, or some caster wedges? 

What kind of truck are we working on?

EDIT: I just reread your post, a cut and turn is done to improve one or the other, but not both.  To get a better pinion AND caster angle, your whole axle needs to be rotated forward(more negative caster).

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 18, 2006, 06:19:30 AM »
Here's a good write up

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/rotated_housing/

How did you "lose" caster?

Do you have, or plan to have, dual boxes?

How much lift do you have?
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 18, 2006, 12:03:18 PM »
i did mine useing the 4x4wire page and it diffently works awsome if you are in need of help feel free to ask me some q's. before you start cutting make sure that you have you fronf sussnetion done and the hight that you want it. i did mine in about 8 solid hours. i did mine a little different than that 4x4wires page just.i simplified rotating the pinon part of it and if you have a dial caliper my way will work more precise .
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

mudaddict

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -82
  • Male Posts: 1,829
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
    • All Pro Off Road
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2006, 02:57:17 PM »
i had mine rotated 6 degrees  for me by my cuzin. pinion angle is alot better now! my cuzin read the 4x4wire write up! he made a jig that works with a d44 and also a toy just a little different with the spring perch places!
98 Taco- Super charged, sas'd, bobbed, locked,taco boxed with 39's
Taco Build http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=88901.0

I work At
All Pro Off Road

Tice

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 881
  • Member since Feb '05
  • I named my son Wheeler!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2006, 05:02:36 PM »
A friend of mine, who is in Iraq right now, was wandering this. I will pass it on the him too. :thumbs:
I don't need a winch, I wheel a TOYOTA!!!!!!!

www.wheelingarizona.com

CRSHROX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2006, 06:09:49 PM »
Thanks for the response everyone !  :thumbs:
I have an 85 Gen 1 4 Runner , All Pro 4 inch stock length springs , long travel Bilsteins All Pro Heavy duty shackles. Im running a single case with no plans to double up. My problem is even with the lengthened front CV driveshaft im getting some bind. I dont want to limit down travel and also want to get the pinion up out of the rocks.

yotadork83

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 18
  • Male Posts: 705
  • Member since Mar '06
  • ninja turtules rule!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2006, 06:16:37 AM »
if that is the set you are going to be running for a while than its a good starting point.to figure out what Angle you want to rotate get a piece straight piece of filler rod one that wont bow. next remove drive line completely and cut filler rod till it fits between center points, next you will need a protractor to measure what the angle is at the pinon side, make sure you measure the angle it will take to make it a ninety degree angle.then you will have to decide how much droop and compression that you have if you have more compression than droop than you want to rotate a degree less than what you angle is,and if you have droop than compression than you want it a degree more. next comes the dissemble of the front axle. you can leave it bolted to the truck if you want to for rotating makes it a little easer to twist them loose. grind the weld smooth that holds the ball on. now get a pipe cutter and slowly cut behind the weld go slow so that you don't cut into the ball sleeve. i will rite more up for you soon but that is a good start.
83 toyota shortbed, 90 rear axle, 5.29's f/r, spools f/r, 22/20 hybrid w/propane, 37 mtrs. dual transfer cases. http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=22712.0
yotas 4 life homie!

CRSHROX [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2006, 07:41:39 AM »
Ive had this set up for a couple of years now and am very happy with it. If and when I decide to try this its  going to be on a spare front end I have so I think I might set up a jig of some sort on my welding table to hold the front end.
Thanks for great insight , sounds like a great starting point.