Author Topic: What do you think?  (Read 1676 times)

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
What do you think?
« on: Nov 16, 2006, 01:58:11 PM »
I had a buddy call me about a toyota 4x4 the other night, saying I know this kid who has a rig for sale!  I say ok what's his #.  So, I call him and I didn't get the year, but I got the list of things that's all wrong with the rig!  It's a 86 to 88 from what I understand, std cab, short box, plain jane p/u, and he wants $1500.  But, the first thing he says it needs a turn signal assembly and that will cost $9 to fix.  So the turn signals don't work!  Then he says the heater needs a relay switch cause it doesn't work either!  Oh, and the headlights and taillights are all hot wired to work too!  And he thinks the alternator is over charging, because after a couple days of driving around he will have to have it jump started (those are his words!)  And here is the clincher, after I asked is there anything else wrong?  There was this long pause, and he procedes the tell me that everything runs great, motor, tranny, t-case and axles all run good!  And then he says, "I don't have the title!  "What," I said!  He didn't get the title from his neighbor, who he bought the truck from last june, because he lost the title! 

Sounds like the entire electrical system is shot!  It just might be the fusible links might be burned out or just needs fuses or relays, but with him hot wiring the lighting system, I don't know how far or what he did to get it to work.  If he took any of the existing wires out to make it work or not! 

He tells me I (me) will have to apply for a lost title if I buy the truck!   

Well, I really want a toyota bad, but I don't want a major electrical project!  And then hope to get the lost title thing staightened out!  Am I wrong on this!  What do ya guys think!  If it was just a small electrical thing, but from what it sounds like I will need to rewire the whole rig!  That's after, I try to find the original owner of the rig!  I know I could just chew him down on the price, and just get a salvage title, but I want a rig that has a clear title!  I know that some ins. co. won't insure a rig with a salvage title!  Am I just being picky here or am I being right on the fact that he should have the title in his hand before he even tries to sell the rig?  Help here!  If I was into buying a project rig, this would be the rig to buy, but... :dunno:   What do ya'll think?
« Last Edit: Nov 16, 2006, 02:03:25 PM by cheesemaker »
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

olivedrab85

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 102
  • Male Posts: 548
  • Member since Jul '05
  • "Ghost ride the whip"
    • View Profile
Re: What do you think?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 16, 2006, 02:01:38 PM »
I'd say title in hand and no more than $1000 for a truck imn that shape
"Gotta keep it G rated for Marlin"   my runner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=26527.0

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 16, 2006, 02:09:54 PM »
ditto, title in hand, i got my "plain jane" w/ electrical problems (rat ate the harness behind dash & a couple more in the engine bay. and lights not working, etc, etc, other than a few scratches, dings stc, its in decent shape, I paid 500 and toys go pretty high around here (its a 1991 too) and it came with clear title, ofcourse the weight tax is 2 years behind, other than that, its good to go. MAke sure you do a title search on it before you buy, not sayin anything but, be carful.
Oh my DD has a salvage California title , here i insure with Geico, no problem (Hawaii) in fact, they have never seen the title or the registration. 1500 is steep w/o title. offer 900 cash in hand.
just my thoughts.
-John

TOYOTA4X4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '02
  • That's nuttier'n a squirrel turd!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 16, 2006, 02:57:49 PM »
I agree, 1500 /no title is too high for a truck with electrical probs. I'd offer him 750 and go from there...

Just my  :twocents:
BEAT IT INTO SUBMISSION WITH THE CONTENTS OF YOUR WALLET!!

Hottrod81

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -2
  • Male Posts: 1,392
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Full Trucker Effect
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 16, 2006, 04:26:47 PM »
You can find trucks all day long for $1,000 and they all run good and have clear titles.  I would only give him $750 for it.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 16, 2006, 05:30:36 PM »
I bought a 1988 toy 4x4 extcab shortbed, tagged with a bad tranny fo 425 the only thing was it had a rusted bed whitch was fine because I had a bobbed one from a 85 so I think that kid is smokin more weed than all of us put together, Its on you I can get a 1989 4 runner with a bad a/t trans for 1000 2 months out of date on 33s I personally would not pay over 600. just my opinion.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 17, 2006, 03:12:02 AM »
Thanks for all your comments.  I felt the same, but just wanted to throw it out there!  It's really hard to find any rigs for $1000 around here.  If you do, they are pretty beat up!  I live in a hole in the wall, and the dealerships would rather prison sex you than give ya good deal!  I look at Craigslist as often as I can!  I want a toyota really bad, but I got to try to sell my pos nissan first!  Thanks again!  Soon I will be wheeling again!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2006, 01:20:44 PM »
ok your in oregon right? my friend has a 1985 extcab shortbed, the body is fairly straight except for it needs paint it runs a little slugish (carb) and the inside is a 5 out of 10 but he only wants 1100 for it and it is a straight axle and its tagged in reno NV my cell is 7172692679 if you would like to get a hold of him. good luck.

Cheesemaker [OP]

• Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2006, 09:33:37 PM »
Thanks for the offer, but that would be one hell of a road trip!  :beerchug:  (nw corner of oregon, due west of portland!)  I really am trying to get my junk sold!    So I don't have a lawn ornament.  It's already becoming an eyesore!  I've ran across one of those adds that say we will buy anything you got, running or not!  I'm just about willing to get whatever I can get out of it!  Anybody know of somebody in need of a 85 nissan 4x4?  Just needs a head gasket.  I'm so sick of wrenching on something that I hate!  I've got a burned out bulb in the bumper turn signal, and I'm not going to even take the time to put in a $1.25 bulb!!  Is that sad?  Same goes for the leaky wheel cylinder, but I've got the parts, I just don't want to touch the rig!  I hate it!  I want something that I will be happy and excited to be wrenching on again!  I just sounded like Tim Allen there for a second!  Grunt Grunt Grunt!!!

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 19, 2006, 07:31:51 AM »
I got a 83 no title on 35's running for $200.  It was a buddies fathers farm truck.  So I know it wasn't stolen.  I stripped everything I wanted and took the rest to the scrap yard.

Oddmar

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 74
  • Male Posts: 402
  • Member since Aug '04
  • J3 Productions
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 23, 2006, 10:58:57 AM »
Well, i've got this 87 Flatbed Toy with a 22R, 5-speed stick for $1800, has a roll bar and acc lights now, or this 87 4-runner, 22RE rebuilt with broad range cam, header, auto-trans, immaculate interior for $3200...both have clear titles...309-202-1682...i'm in central Illinois, but i might take your Nissan in trade for the Flatbed...never had a Nissan.

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Only when i am finished will there be peace: The peace of an empty wind as it blows across a land strewn with the bones of my enemies.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 23, 2006, 02:05:04 PM »
i like that green/blue truck for some odd reason. the wood sides are pretty cool
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco