Author Topic: Replacing 22R exhaust manifold.  (Read 9009 times)

tintop

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Replacing 22R exhaust manifold.
« on: Nov 19, 2006, 07:04:09 PM »
I have a 1987 toyota pickup, single cab, I have this interesting Exhaust leak going on.. its very noticeable now, its louder than the stock exhaust.. I want to replace it,

I have a stock 22r exhaust manifold, that has the ports blocked off were the EGR stuff would go, So that would mean i have to Elimanate all the EGR bullshirt, to be able to install this Header thats Not Installed yet

The EGR stuff is still in the truck, and so is the back leak..

My question is How do i remove all the EGR stuff off my motor,?

I would like to have this taken care of soon,----8MPG +Loud Annoying Exhaust+ $2.50 a Gallon.. =  :yikes:
« Last Edit: Nov 20, 2006, 01:21:23 AM by tintop »

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing 22R exhaust manifold.
« Reply #1 on: Nov 19, 2006, 07:21:07 PM »
I have a 1987 toyota pickup, single cab, I have this interesting Exhaust leak going on.. its very noticeable now, its louder than the stock exhaust.. I want to replace it,

I have a stock 22r exhaust manifold, that has the ports blocked off were the EGR stuff would go, So that would mean i have to Elimanate all the EGR bull crap, to be able to install this other Header..

And does anyone know were i can buy a Exhaust manifold gasket for cheaper than @$26.99  :-\

I would like to have this taken care of soon,----8MPG +Loud Annoying Exhaust+ $2.50 a Gallon.. =  :yikes:
:)
make a block off plate for egr on new header and just buck up for a toyota gasket. or dont and see what happens :dunno:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

tintop [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 19, 2006, 09:17:42 PM »
:)
make a block off plate for egr on new header

Did you read the whole thread ? the new header already has block off on it..

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 19, 2006, 10:12:49 PM »
dont skimp on the exhuast gasket, yeah the $30 seems a bit steep, but think of that when you get anotehr leak.....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 19, 2006, 11:08:23 PM »
I have a stock 22r exhaust manifold, that has the ports blocked off were the EGR stuff would go, So that would mean i have to Elimanate all the EGR bull crap, to be able to install this other Header..

This post is really confusing... If the ports are already blocked off then why are you asking how to remove the EGR??? Seemingly, it would have already been removed. It's late and maybe I'm reading this wrong, but can you please clarify because I don't think I'm the only one not understanding what you're asking.  :headscratch:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

tintop [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 20, 2006, 01:17:09 AM »
yeah sorry about that, i fixed it, took out the word other..

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 20, 2006, 06:24:58 AM »
ok maybe im also still reading it wrong, but the way you worded it it sounds liek your current stock manifold has blocked of egr ports, and so does the new header.. but you want to remove all the egr stuff.

i think you might be trying to say everything is intact and connected currently and the new header has blocked off egr ports and you wnat to remove the stock egr system.

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

tintop [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 20, 2006, 10:34:28 AM »
Just delete this thread please.... are you guys serious ? I have a 22r motor in my truck, it has all the egr stuff on it, I have a leak, i also have a stock 22r header, with the egr port blocked off.that i want to install, but if i do that i have to remove the egr stuff..

Understand that ?>

TRHS1980

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 234
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 20, 2006, 12:26:59 PM »
Just delete this thread please.... are you guys serious ? I have a 22r motor in my truck, it has all the egr stuff on it, I have a leak, i also have a stock 22r header, with the egr port blocked off.that i want to install, but if i do that i have to remove the egr stuff..

Understand that ?>

Wow man... people are just trying to help you, but it's hard to even know what you're asking from your posts... If you want to get an attitude about it why don't you head over to pirate... I'm sure they'd be more than happy to help you over there. :flamer:
2007 Tacoma 4x4 6-speed on 35's

"In all affairs it's a healthy thing now and then to hang a question mark on the things you have long taken for granted."

toyotatuner

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 20, 2006, 01:11:18 PM »
if your new header (manifold) has block off plates installed, thats all that needs to be done, the EGR (exhaust gas regulator) is removed.(blocked off) period. Excuse me, its not removed its obsolete, defunkt, no workie. just follow all the existing EGR piping back to the...wherever...and block off that too. your not using it.
 So, in answer to your question ( i hope) No. you do not NEED to remove it, but YES you can remove it, IMO, I would remove it just to simplify the under hood.
hope that gets it all figured out.
 Oh, and def go with a good quality gaskets.
-John

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 20, 2006, 01:14:02 PM »

Understand that ?>

explained liek that, it makes sense, the way you did it in the first place, confused me and otehrs.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

tintop [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Nov 21, 2006, 10:49:20 AM »
.. I dont know much about 22r's..  dont want to try to play with the egr stuff, with out some detailed write-up.. :inthedark:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Nov 21, 2006, 11:10:38 AM »
First of all, where do you live!  If you live in Cali, you'd be screwed taking it off!  If it's got a brain, it'll trip that & make it run poorly!  I've seen guys take the smog crap off and have the motor run terrible.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

tintop [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Nov 21, 2006, 03:36:42 PM »
we dont have smog or any emmisions in Oregon..

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Nov 22, 2006, 01:45:04 AM »
Most of the Willamette Valley does!  What town you from?  I'm from Tillamook! 

Research some on it, and find out if it will trip your sensors!  If your rig runs the same without it, then go for it!  Just plug, cap, bolt or crimp off what you don't want!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

tintop [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Nov 22, 2006, 10:34:37 PM »
we dont have it in are valley, I live in Springfield

kneedownnate

• Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Nov 23, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »
Tintop, if you go to the top of the general 4wd section there's a sticky thread about getting a discount on factory toyota parts.  If you're looking for a toyota exh. manifold gasket then you should email the hookup, cause it's not that far from you :thumbs:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Nov 23, 2006, 09:10:33 PM »
i didn't know that stock manifolds came with the ports blocked off?

Ewong

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '02
  • I love Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:17:49 PM »
87 huh?

Off the top of my head - SOME 22R engines came with block off plates and others did NOT.
Also there were at least two DIFFERENT types of EGR cross overs that I can think of.

Basically you have two options.

1) Take the block off plates OFF the new exhaust manifold and  bolt yer existing EGR stuff on

2) unbolt the EGR to where it connects to the intake manifold (I ASSUME we are talking EFI here).
Get an OEM gasket and MAKE a block off plate with some steel plate (Id go at least 1/8 thick)

Also - LC Engineering might have an OEM block off plate if yer fussy that way.

THe EGR itself has a few vac hoses going to it - trace em back to where they come from and cap em off.
yeah yeah - still IFS...

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Nov 25, 2006, 01:29:14 PM »

Also - LC Engineering might have an OEM block off plate if yer fussy that way.

I know Downey does
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

ticketguy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 22
  • Member since Sep '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Nov 26, 2006, 09:34:21 PM »
my stock manifold leaked real bad when i bought my truck.  instead of putting on a header i decided to get my stock manifold fixed.  those manifolds warp and i had to take mine to a engine shop to sand it smooth.  i than put a new gasket on it and it sounds great.