Author Topic: Somewhat new clutch chatter and other questions. Almost at 400k.  (Read 3096 times)

LotOMiles

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Cool board. I would like to pick the collective brain of this board and bounce a few questions off ya. I am trying to keep my little Toyota running forever, but I am having drive line issues. 

My truck is a '93 4x4 with the 3L and R150 5sp.

At 340k, the clutch pressure plate gave up the ghost. Foot down on clutch, but nothing happened. Since to this point, the clutch had not been touched, I replaced the clutch, pressure place, bearings, and had the flywheel resurfaced. All factory parts. All was well and good, but now at 375k, I am getting a bit of clutch chatter. Not a lot and it really takes starting from a stop on the right hill to make it do it, but the second before it grabs fully, it will chatter.

What is the source of the chatter? It never did this on the old clutch. I have not smoked it or changed the way I drive. No oil has gotten on it and I have not driven the truck in any deep water.  It's not a bad chatter, but I ask because right now, I can get easy access to it because I have the transmission off.

On to the second question.
I am looking at buying a rebuild kit for the 150 from Marlin here. The bearings on the input shaft are gone.  With the high miles on the thing, I figured I would just rebuild the entire thing with all new bearings and syncs.
I split the case on it last night. The gears looks to be in good shape, with the exception of a few of the gears having nicks in them. It's just the larger straight cut gears. Is this anything I should be worried about?

Also, reverse is somewhat gone in the thing. For the past 100k or so, I have to put it in 2nd, then reverse or it will grind going into reverse. Will the rebuild kit fix this, or is this a different issue?

Thanks for the help.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
with that many miles  i would suggest sending it to Marlin  and having them  completely  go thru it

clutch ?  was it factory TOYOTA  parts  from your dealer  or was it  OEM  from a  parts house ??

also  when the flywheel was resurfaced  was it  stepped?? if not  thats why you have the chatter
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
I am thinking about sending it to Marlin, but then I would be missing out on the learning experience of doing it myself. Not sure.

Since I got such long life out of the factory parts, I only use factory Toyota parts. The guys at the Toyota dealer know me by name.  :thumbs:
I got the flywheel resurfaced at a local shop by and 80 year old guy working on a 1950 machine. He didn't step the flywheel at all. The flywheel I took off did not have a factory step in it. It still had a few of the cracks after the resurfacing, but not deep. Perhaps it time for a new flywheel then?

Thanks for the help.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
i know  on a 22R  they dont have a noticeable step  but  when resurfacing Marlin always does a .026  inch step

i did the same with mine  and its awesome
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
i know  on a 22R  they dont have a noticeable step  but  when resurfacing Marlin always does a .026  inch step

i did the same with mine  and its awesome
As does my local machinist. You need that step.

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Frankly, I didn't think the engine was going to pass smog again or I would have replaced the flywheel. But last month, it passed with flying colors. I can't get that engine to die.

So I will order a flywheel from Marlin. I am assuming the pressure plate and clutch will be OK.

Last question. How long do the transfer cases last? It's the chain type. Can I remove it without taking off the transmission?

Thanks for the help.

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
I am in the middle of the R150 rebuild. I think I found the source of the Model A cross cut gears sound.

This bearing seems to be missing something. New bearing on right.

Surprising for all the shrapnel this released, all I see is a few chips in the bigger gears and a mass of mangled metal on the magnet.

The rest of the tranny looks great. I figured this thing would be a slop bucket by now, but I have to be real careful as almost everything I take out (bearings and syncs) looks a lot like the brand new parts I am putting in. It's easy to get them mixed up.

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Chips on the corners of the gears are ok (where there isn't any gear to gear contact)

Just dremel them smooth.

Post a picture of your reverse gear(s) where you think you have problems....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile

I made a mistake. It's not the larger cross cut gears that have chips in them. It's two of the others. I don't have the manual in front of me so I don't know what they are called. 

This one has about 4 nice size nicks in it.

The small 5th gear is also chewed up on the edges. I am just going to replace both to be on the safe side.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
The small marks all the way around are machining marks, no problem......

That chips pretty bad,  I'd only dremel it if it was reverse and be done with it.

If the other chips are less than 1/3 - 1/4 the length of the one shown, I'd dremel them and put them in.... 

Are they on the power transmission side of the gear or the coast side of the gear?   

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
The gear has 3 chips all about that size. I think one is larger. It also has some smaller nicks.

I think it's on the power side of the gear. Not sure tho.

I forgot to order a bearing, so I will just order the two new gears then. Hoping Toyota does not charge 200 bucks for them.
Also need to order a C-clip. One shot off and has yet to land.  :burnout:

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
Hate to burst your bubble but Toyota will want close to $300 for each gear. As far as the c-clip goes it has definitely landed, gravity is a bi*ch.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Call Marlin for the gears (and the clip (get a spare)).....
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
3rd gear, the one with a lot of chiped teeth, was 150 bucks. I am debating replacing 5th. Only some smaller chips on it.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
3rd gear, the one with a lot of chiped teeth, was 150 bucks. I am debating replacing 5th. Only some smaller chips on it.

post a picture of the worse part....   
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Plekto

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 27
  • Male Posts: 863
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
IME, it's always good to fix any damage when you can, no matter how minor(unless it's REALLY of no consequence at all)

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile

I think it's still good.  :greengrin:

I will get a real photo tomorrow.

Normally I would take my time with this and do it right, but I am in a bit of a rush since I wasted so much time waiting for the MC rebuild.

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile

This is the worst of it.

Since I needed some more c-clips, I ordered a new 5th gear too. But this came.

New gear on left. What do you guys make of it? Next to the missing splines, it's the same gear.  It pressed on fine, but I still have time to remove it. I forgot to order two of the bearings so no install this weekend. Toyota should make a bearing kit or something. All the bearings under one part number.

Oh-well. I made some good progress cleaning stuff and working on the AC. Got to get that R134 conversion done sometime.

emsvitil

• Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
Well if it was just the chips I would have dremeled them smooth since there's usually no tooth contact the close to the edge with helical cut gears.

It's the pits in the teeth that get to me.........

If you got the gear from Toyota, I wouldn't worry about it...
Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

LotOMiles [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '07
    • View Profile
Tranny rebuilt, assembled, and back in truck. It works perfect. A little tight, but it will loosen up.
I also put a new starter in at the same time, and pushed the ADD hoses against the exhaust manifold and didn't realize it. So no 4x4 till I get some new hoses. Today, I played around in the dirt a bit and got a photo of the road scared beast for ya.   

I would put it up aginst any domestic truck with 375k any day. Oh, wait, they don't exist.  :laugh:

Thanks for all the help guys.

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer

I would put it up aginst any domestic truck with 375k any day. Oh, wait, they don't exist.  :laugh:

Thanks for all the help guys.
:headscratch:
Hang on, I'll go grab a Cummins.