Author Topic: suspension???  (Read 1261 times)

Yoter Corey

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
suspension???
« on: Apr 03, 2006, 12:54:15 AM »
Alright, so i saw this suspension idea where this guy cut a leaf spring pack in half. and then used just the main leaf. what he did wuz, used that main leaf (that had been cut in half) and he put it in the correct direction, but he put it upside-down. and then he connected one end to the top of the shackle and the other end connected to the frame of the truck. this then gave him more drop flex. and now instead of the leaf spring lookin like a normal half moon, now it looks like a 3/4 moon. now i wuz just kinda curious as to how good this would work or even if it would work? and if its worth the time. just let me know and thanks for your help

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: suspension???
« Reply #1 on: Apr 03, 2006, 02:01:33 AM »
 ??? 

What am I thinking?   :headscratch:

Oh!  Pictures just might help!
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

billy hill

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -102
  • Male Posts: 150
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 03, 2006, 06:05:53 AM »
Do a search on 3/4 eliptical (sp.) suspensions. Or buggy leafs.

To me, those things are a waste of time. They allow for too much axle wrap.
« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2006, 06:12:58 AM by billy hill »
official mall crawlin pavment pounder #1

FIREBALL

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 190
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Hi Ho Marlin....u talkin to me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 03, 2006, 08:53:48 AM »
Like billy said, that's a buggy leaf or 3/4 eliptical. Been around for a long time. Yes, it works. BUT it also has it's draw backs. Many people have complained about it "unloading" during steep down hills causing a potential "endo".
I tried this setup for awhile and always had a hard time finding a main leaf that was flat enough to lay flat on the frame but soft enough to still droop. It also has a tendancy to make the ass end lift when under hard forward torque situations.
There are still guys using this setup but not as many anymore.
Some people, like myself, have gone to a dual shackle setup. Search for dual shackle, missing link and also revolver shackles. Many of us have had success with this setup, while others didn't like it at all.
It's always hard to get a lot of travel out of the rear of our trucks. Part of the reason the front move so much better than the rear is the front springs are quite a bit closer togeather. The rears are far apart, whic gives better stability, but it takes some of the leverage away. Some guys have moved there rear springs a couple of inches closer togeather on each side. It takes some fab work, but makes a huge differance in flex.
Good luck on what ever you decide to try, just make sure it's safe, it's not just you're butt on the line, it's the family in the other lane too.

Yoter Corey [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Apr 05, 2006, 12:33:47 PM »
hey fireball i just wanted to say thanks for the info. i really helped out and got me thinkin. i think i might go ahead and just do 63" chevy springs. but my friend started thinking bout moving his leafs closer together. so he wuz wondering how much closer you would suggest???
alright well thanks for your help