• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
3.0?
« on: Mar 12, 2006, 11:25:41 AM »
Are the 3.0 V6 really THAT bad? reliablity wise? Im gonna start saving money soon to buy a DD and I like the 2nd gen $runners buy doubt that I'll find a 4cyl, I was hoping if I found a decent 3.0 I could drive on it for a while then if it does blow stick in a 3.4 :yesnod:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

IronClad

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 635
  • Male Posts: 2,284
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Annihilation Fabrication
    • View Profile
Re: 3.0?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2006, 02:39:25 PM »
if it helps any    remember i have the 3.0  in my camry.. and that thing rips !  and you know i rod the piss out of it.
Annihilation  Fabrication
Do you need a Hammer?
My build thingy... http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=39885.0
(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Word hard, Keep your head in the game and if anyone gets in your way tell them you don't give a damn !

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Mar 12, 2006, 05:21:16 PM »
Are the 3.0 V6 really THAT bad? reliablity wise? Im gonna start saving money soon to buy a DD and I like the 2nd gen $runners buy doubt that I'll find a 4cyl, I was hoping if I found a decent 3.0 I could drive on it for a while then if it does blow stick in a 3.4 :yesnod:

do a search.. there are a million yay/nay threads based on this engine.. I think its good and there are millions of these engines out there... they are easy to wire up for an engine swap and parts from toyota are really cheap for them here in canada..
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Mar 13, 2006, 06:14:48 AM »
jeff from what i have seen and heard,  there are good ones and bad ones,  the good ones go on and on,  the bad ones  well  they are BAD 

try and get a back ground on it,  if its had the head gaskets replaced more than once  run away
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

rEdnECkwHeE1eR [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -68
  • Male Posts: 1,430
  • Member since Jun '02
  • Still tipin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2006, 05:37:47 PM »
jeff from what i have seen and heard,  there are good ones and bad ones,  the good ones go on and on,  the bad ones  well  they are BAD 

try and get a back ground on it,  if its had the head gaskets replaced more than once  run away

I see, man its too bad toyota didnt stick with the good ol' 22re or designed the 3.0 better :dunno:
Liquor up front
Poker in the rear

toyrokcrwlr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Jun '05
  • My Yota
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2006, 05:45:29 PM »
my 3.0 still rips on! I trial ride in it every other weekend and still running strong, it has 268,000 on it now and I had the head gasket replace just once. I changed the oil pump in three times since 1988, they say if you change out the oil pumps in it, it will last forever. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles. I personally think you constantly have to keep these motor well maintained and taken care of it will last.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 15, 2006, 02:28:18 PM »
some are good, some are bad.  If you take care of it, they'll last, if you don't, they won't its that simple.

I've still got a 3.0 in my truck, this is the 3rd one.  1st one had 185k on it when the block cracked (not sure why) 2nd had about the same , ran it for about 6 mos. before the piston rings were shot9 that one never did run well)  3rd on ruyns great, pulls strong, and has 195k on it. 

I wouldn't shy away from a vehicle that has one, if you like the rest of it, and the motor is running well, and has been taken care of, but nor would I go out loooking for one
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

toyrokcrwlr

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 124
  • Male Posts: 128
  • Member since Jun '05
  • My Yota
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 15, 2006, 06:34:14 PM »
When I buy any toyota it would be the all the v6 4-runners and pick-ups because it already has a bomb proof rear axle carrier and 5-speed trannies, but i also love the chain drive cases but just not low enough, but I think there great for racing purposes.

CTENG in KS

• Turtle Points: -501
  • Male Posts: 4,295
  • Member since Jun '04
  • ^Alfred the Great
    • View Profile
    • CTENG's Eco-Rant
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2006, 01:01:10 PM »
Biggest issue is that head gasket problem.  The cast iron block and aluminum heads don't expand and contract at the same rate during temp change which wears away at the original style gaskets.  There are new more better designs out there so if HG needs replacing then spend the money for a high end gasket set.  I'd pimp a 3.0 if I had one though.
IFS is best kept at ambient temperature in a pile of scrap in the backyard.  When kept under a functioning vehicle, it tends to greatly diminish said vehicle's offroad ability.     -reklund5

4Runner: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=4580.0
Beastmaster: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=34339.0