Author Topic: Center Differential and manual HUB  (Read 2795 times)

klunk

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Center Differential and manual HUB
« on: Feb 01, 2006, 05:39:42 AM »
Hi all, sorry for this two very stupid question, i'm really a beginner with a couple of doubts, so better ask.... :hammerhead:

I have a toyota hilux, pratically is a pickup 95-03 model, is there a center differential in this model? in 4x4 mode....rear wheels can spin?
I have never heard about central lockable differential so i suppose there is nothing to lock.....but i wait your answer....

Second question, my car came without any manual hub in the front, it is suggestable to install manual Hub and why?

I'm near to use the car to cross the africa, any reply will be really appreciated.

Thanks,  ;)

Andrea - klunk :headscratch:

79coyotefrg

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: Center Differential and manual HUB
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2006, 07:56:13 AM »
its ok   we like newbies :wave:

no  its not a center differential  its a transfer case,  you should have a  2hi  which is 2wheel rear drive  , then a 4hi  which is basically  a locked in all 4 wheel drive,  then 4 lo  which is all 4 wheels locked  in lo range,  this is for deep mud/snow  ultimate traction

now  im not sure about the newer trucks as to the locking hubs i have a 1979 model  hilux  yea they were even called hilux here back then 

does your hilux have a rear locking differential ??   this would be a button on the dash
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Male Posts: 5,120
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
    • Simpson Brothers Photography
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2006, 08:25:37 AM »
I've got the Center Differential Lock in my 2001 4Runner and I don't see a need for Manual hubs.
You've got 2wd normal, then hit the 4wd button on the transfer case stick and you have AWD, then hit the lock button on the dashboard (left of the steering column) and you've got true 4wd, then put it in 4low and you've got 4x4Low or put it in AWD Low.
It would be a pain in the ass if you had to get out and lock and unlock the hubs every time you wanted to change your options.
Currently I am loving the system, especially in snow.

skid

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 144
  • Male Posts: 295
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:25:52 PM »
I've got the Center Differential Lock in my 2001 4Runner and I don't see a need for Manual hubs.
You've got 2wd normal, then hit the 4wd button on the transfer case stick and you have AWD, then hit the lock button on the dashboard (left of the steering column) and you've got true 4wd, then put it in 4low and you've got 4x4Low or put it in AWD Low.
It would be a pain in the ass if you had to get out and lock and unlock the hubs every time you wanted to change your options.
Currently I am loving the system, especially in snow.

So why have the 85?

hubs are around to help with mileage and minimize wear and tear on the front end.
Diggin a hole with plastic
90 ext cab toy, short 40 Iroks, detroit and diamond, mco8-r10 duals with twin stick, 4.7 gears and 30 spline Longs/hub gears-studs

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2006, 01:56:33 PM »
So why have the 85?
Cause I'd feel bad about rolling and denting and thrashing on my $20,000 4Runner, I wouldn't feel too bad about doing that in my $900 1985.

klunk [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Feb 02, 2006, 04:22:00 AM »
thanks for the reply....my hilux got no button to push....only 2wdhi, 4wdhi and 4wdlow lever....so if i have understood well no differential in the center....

i really dont know hoe toyota can be so mess with so a lot car equal but with differnt name....i mean....the mine is hilux....but if you see the car you tell...this is a pickup!!

is very difficult for me to understand wich are the parts in common between pickup 4 runner and hilux.....who can help me? i can provide detailed picture of the bottom....

thanks again

Andrea-klunk

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Feb 04, 2006, 06:03:49 AM »
you live in africa  so there are differences  from some of our "luxury" model 4runners, probably what you call a Surf

if you  can get a picture or 2  that will help
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

reklund5

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:31:02 PM »
So you guys know:

I've replaced a few transfercases in the trucks/4runners equipped with the pushbutton 2hi/4wd switch.  The trucks equipped with the pushbutton DO have a center diff, and it'll burn up if used in an environment where the front and rear wheels DO spin at different speeds.  FWIW, only use the stick and manually select 2wd or 4wd by moving the stick from 2HI to 4HI- don't use the pushbutton.

These trucks have a silly electric actuator on the transfer case that controls things when the pushbutton is used.  If that acuator is knocked out of adjustment by anything, the whole transfer case can be damaged and needs to be completely disassembled to investigate.  There is a planetary gearset inside them that makes the magic happen, and is susceptible to damage if not fully locked into 4WD by using the stick.

IF one desires to use the pushbutton, it should only be used on icy/snowy roads where theres no chance of enough traction to damage stuff if the wheels try to spin at different speeds.

My $.02

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

79coyotefrg

• Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:46:30 PM »
so what your saying is, the push button is for like my sis driving in the rain :dunno:  or on slushy snow?? like awd  but not for real 4wd

Bazzi

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 97
  • Male Posts: 1,095
  • Member since May '04
  • From Reykjavik Iceland...
    • View Profile
    • R&T
« Reply #9 on: Feb 04, 2006, 05:58:33 PM »
thanks for the reply....my hilux got no button to push....only 2wdhi, 4wdhi and 4wdlow lever....so if i have understood well no differential in the center....

i really don't know hoe Toyota can be so mess with so a lot car equal but with different name....i mean....the mine is hilux....but if you see the car you tell...this is a pickup!!

is very difficult for me to understand wich are the parts in common between pickup 4 runner and hilux.....who can help me? i can provide detailed picture of the bottom....

thanks again

Andrea-klunk

If I am not mistaken your truck has a normal transfer case. Normal here in Iceland that is.
You will have 2wd or 4wd and of course 4wd low.  in the 4wd and 4wdL your trans is locked betwean the front and rear that means that if you will get into a spool the front and the rear tiers will have the same traction.  = the same as the center differential lock will do.
But  it is possible for you to have one wheel spinning in the front and one wheel spinning in the rear often cross spinning.

I would recommend the manual hubs. Because the auto hubs that we have seen here are vacuum controlled and the are known to fail.

And it is possible that you will have a locking device in you rear axle.
If you have a button on you left site of the steering wheel that says rear axle lock you have a electric lock in there. known to fail if not used often.
But it is also possible that you have a limited slip differential, you can see that by a little red sticker on the axle, that says LSD
4runner body on a hilux frame = Hi-Runner.
 2,4 dti duals 2,28 x 2,28 to 8" 5.71 with arbīs  and 39,5" trxus
gathering parts for my goal which is
350 Chevy 700r4 auto to 2.28 x 4.70  and 4.88 9,5" cruisers diffs,diamondaxles and cable lockers, 44" richard cepecs

MiniSimp

• Outdoor Enthusiast
  • Member since Jan '05
  • SimpsonBrothers.net
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Feb 05, 2006, 12:31:17 PM »
so what your saying is, the push button is for like my sis driving in the rain :dunno:  or on slushy snow?? like awd  but not for real 4wd
Yeah, the push button on mine is for AWD, then you hit the dash button for 4WD.

V-Man

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 29
  • Male Posts: 792
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2006, 06:50:12 PM »
So you guys know:

I've replaced a few transfercases in the trucks/4runners equipped with the pushbutton 2hi/4wd switch.  The trucks equipped with the pushbutton DO have a center diff, and it'll burn up if used in an environment where the front and rear wheels DO spin at different speeds.  FWIW, only use the stick and manually select 2wd or 4wd by moving the stick from 2HI to 4HI- don't use the pushbutton.

These trucks have a silly electric actuator on the transfer case that controls things when the pushbutton is used.  If that acuator is knocked out of adjustment by anything, the whole transfer case can be damaged and needs to be completely disassembled to investigate.  There is a planetary gearset inside them that makes the magic happen, and is susceptible to damage if not fully locked into 4WD by using the stick.

IF one desires to use the pushbutton, it should only be used on icy/snowy roads where theres no chance of enough traction to damage stuff if the wheels try to spin at different speeds.

My $.02

Ryan

Hey dude, I got a shift on the fly for 2HI to 4HI, but it's stop and neutral time if I want to switch to 4LO..  It's a true transfer case, the reduction box is gear to gear, but the transfer case portion is chain drive.  The guy at the local toyota dealership thinks, I maybe able to change the stock gears in the reduction box out for some 4.7 from Marlin, just like any VF1A with a stick.