Author Topic: transmission ? noise...  (Read 1680 times)

skippy

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
transmission ? noise...
« on: Jan 23, 2006, 07:36:16 PM »
Hey there, I am new to this forum, but I wonder if you can help me? I have an 87 4-runner with 138,000 miles on it. I had a work truck for several years, so the Toyo sat in the driveway in all the elements, only getting driven on the weekends. Well I lost my work truck, so I have been driving the Toyo daily now for months.  I figured it would be good to change ALL of the fluids (manual trans, transfer case & differential) since it sat so long.  Maybe its me, but I swear it has been harder & slightly "clicky" to get into 1st & 2nd gears.  Worse, when it has been cold at night, the next morning just as I'm starting to drive, I get this crazy noise under my shifter when I go from 1st to neutral (stoplight right near my home only allows me to go from 1st, maybe to 2nd, but then I put it in neutral & coast to the light)...something is spinning at a higher rpm than the motor, completely independent of the speed I am going / rpm of motor, which winds down and then "thuds" like its slamming into a gear or something & then it stops.  It only happens once when I first get going, and not everyday.  What the heck is that?  What "spins" under the shifter area?  Any help is appreciated.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: transmission ? noise...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:35:16 PM »
First question is what weight of oil did you use?
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2006, 08:45:07 PM »

x2  80/90 is too heavy, especially in the winter.  Gotta use 75/90!  Also, the trans output seal can fail, causing the fluid to build up in the cavity between the trans and the transfer case.  Double check your fluid weight, type, and fluid level.

Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

skippy [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '06
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2006, 12:08:51 PM »
Thanks for your reply.  I had a local shop do the work, "cause the in-laws just had their driveway paved, and no way were they going to let me drain "petro" fluids on it. So, I don't know what weight they used. All I know is that when I checked the level in the tranny, it wasn't up to where it should be, and what I sampled out of the tranny looked like what I added to bring it up to level. What I added was an API 5 (90 weight) I believe.  It's all I had.  Do you have any idea what component would "spin" under the shifter area, that is independent of the rpm's ??