Author Topic: LED problem  (Read 2426 times)

yota-tota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 17
  • Male Posts: 232
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
LED problem
« on: Dec 04, 2005, 05:15:28 PM »
i got a set of combination tail lights (stop/turn/tail) with a resse adapter box. when i flip my tail lights on they turn on like they should but nothing happens when i hit the break and when i hit the signals nothing but a buzzing noise. Yet if i don't flip the tail lights on the brake works perfect and the turn signals work but flash fast since i converted the front marker lights to my front turns.....i know i need to upgrade the flasher to fix that but i'm not too sure on the tail light probem.

For anyone that wired one of the adapter boxes into the harness did you do it before it splits into each light or before?
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: LED problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:07:12 PM »
you wired something up wrong... this si the same problem the left side of my bosses flatebed had.... it turned out to be a bad ground
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:38:32 PM »
after freakin' around with it some more i got the right side to flash for a bit but it was VERY fast.......faster then it flashes when the tail lights are turned off. I think it could be the flasher because when i had my regular lights hooked up it flashed fast since i wired my turn signal straight to the marker light without changing the bulb, combine that with the fact that LED's will cause the light to flash faster i think it's going too fast and shutting down or somthing. make any sence or am i out to lunch.
91 toy truggy on h2 injection, hacked n chopped n locked n SAS'd rolling 36" IROKS........doubler comming soon

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:40:40 PM »
leds should have resistors and nothing should be different with them, unless you wired leds up straight?

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:48:14 PM »
well the adapter i got had the 4 wires: stop, L turn, R turn, tail, that you have to splice into your existing harness that goes into 3 for the LED connections. But when i wired it i took the wires from after the split in main harness, so i could be getting some kinda weird ground from that.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2005, 06:52:35 PM »
Go to Napa and buy an EL-12 electronic flasher.  That will solve your problem.
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:00:28 PM »
Go to Napa and buy an EL-12 electronic flasher. That will solve your problem.

Thanks WHITE_TRASH for comfirming what i figured all along.

WHITE_TRASH

• Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:04:27 PM »
Im running ALL led's in my truck right down to the indicator bulbs in the dash for the blinkers so Ive figured out what happens when ther isnt enough resistance.  ;)
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2005, 07:09:13 PM »
that pinout is not correct....

there should be a total of 3 wires per side.... ground is given as 1 in the housing, the other is marker light, turn, stop

this is in a system with no reverse light.... jsut the red light.... also this is in one side.....

~ John F. Kennedy ~

yota-tota [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling over Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2005, 06:53:05 PM »
the harness was correct.......the only thing keeping it from working correctly was the fact that my battery wasn't charged enough to power the relay for the signals ::) . Turning the key on and off for 2 hours took a drain on the battery, two mins on the charger the lights worked perfectly and look BLING!!! :biggthumpup: