Author Topic: welding classes....  (Read 2321 times)

94runner

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 279
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
welding classes....
« on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:05:39 PM »
ok..... so i am looking into welding classes at the community college and uh... theres like 4 different types.. i was wondering which type of welding should i learn. thers arc welding, gas tungsten welding(t.i.g), wire feed welding and acetylene welding..

which would i benefit from the most.... all i want to do is work on my truck and be able to weld tubing and pipe together and basically fab up stuff for my rig.
if you could also tell me why this would benefit me the most that would be helpful
thanks
-Sid
1994 4runner: toy axles, 37's, armor,

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Re: welding classes....
« Reply #1 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:24:22 PM »
I'd say mig, wire feed.  Arc is strong and all, but you'll always hafta be busting off the slag and cleaning your welds up.  Tig is strong and pretty, but is also expensive to get into.  Mig is a very good choice for most anything you're gonna do on your trucks.  If you mig with flux core you might still hafta clean your welds, plus they won't quite look as nice as your gas mig.  If you can hook up gas to your mig welder you can get some really nice welds, and if you start with a good enough welder you'll have no problem making strong enough welds for anything on your truck.  I just plain don't like acetylene welding, but it does have it's pluses.  If I were able to do it I'd talk to the instructor and tell him what your plans are and see what he suggests.  Maybe take all the classes you can afford to. 
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

94runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Nov 18, 2005, 06:32:07 PM »
thanks man, unfortunatley i dont have the time to take all the classes :sad2: so you think i should take wire feed welding, correct?

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #3 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:06:06 PM »
MIG! if your only going to take one.
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Willy Mammoth

• Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 4,252
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:35:40 PM »
Mig to start. Oxy Acy is good to know especially the brazing part. You can pick up on that on your own, but the safety part of that may save your life.

MIG is easy with practice, but formal instruction is a plus.

Good luck and have fun. :thumbs:
:usa: American by birth, redneck by choice. 

Making Of http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=6472.0  

Sightings Of  http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=10805.0

94runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Nov 18, 2005, 07:50:49 PM »
cool. thanks willy.... looks like alot of people are telling me MIG... i'll probabley end up taking that

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 18, 2005, 08:01:52 PM »
If you check out "making of the willy mammoth" you'll see why he's definately one to listen to on this subject.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:22:56 PM »
you might want to check the pre-requisis (sp) some colleges make you take arc before you can take the mig class

94runner [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:25:56 PM »
really?..... why the hell would they make you do that? ( im being serious, not sarcastic) why would they make you take an arc class before the MIG class... is there some connection between the two?
-Sid

kneedownnate

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Nov 18, 2005, 10:46:54 PM »
Arc is kinda viewed as the into to welding.  It's very good as an industrial application, like big buildings and the like.  Some schools will require it so you can pick up the basic welding skills before moving on to the more advanced styles/techniques.  First time I ever welded was arc, welding boat cleats to the dock.  Guy that I was learning from got butt hurt cause my welds looked better than his.  Funny thing is, several years later those cleats are still welded to the dock, but where the factory welded them together they've busted off.  I tried mig after that and I couldn't run a bead to save my life.  A few years later we had to weld in new supports for a new style generator and my sup. kept trying to get me to try it.  We had a miller suitcase welder that ran off a big self contained miller arc welder.  I tried it doing what he told me and once again my welds looked pretty decent, and have yet to crack.  I now own the exact same type of welder and love it, but still don't have a big arc to run it off of.  My dream trial rig will have an arc mounted in the back with my suitcase welder handy.  With a long enough lead you could do trail repairs 2 or 3 trucks away.
RIP KYOTA

snowshoebrue

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 447
  • Male Posts: 1,152
  • Member since Jun '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Nov 18, 2005, 11:02:34 PM »
ya i wanted to take a mig class just to refresh and they told me i had to take the arc first.   so i just practiced on my own.  this was at modesto junior college