Author Topic: johnny joints VS the revolver shackles  (Read 3008 times)

yotacrawler4

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -167
  • Male Posts: 137
  • Member since Mar '05
  • "Just hold it to the floor"
    • View Profile
johnny joints VS the revolver shackles
« on: Oct 11, 2005, 04:00:34 AM »
what s the best to use and why and how much left would the revovler shackle give. :turtle:
86' yota, extra cab, duals, HP frnt with detroit 4.88s, V6 rear with detroit 4.88s, bobby super set, driveline tech dl's, neat lil upgrades on the way can someone say 4link and dovetail front...

bluetoy84

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -100
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Jun '04
  • rice bouncer
    • View Profile
Re: johnny joints VS the revolver shackles
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2005, 08:11:17 AM »
I've never used either , but from what I have seen and heard the johnny joints are awesome and the revolvers are junk.

I'm sure with the revolvers it would flex better and look impressive on a ramp , but having extreme flex is not everything. If you have to use some type of shackle like a revolver or a buggy leaf setup to get enough flex out of your springs then you probably need to just get some better springs.

The johnny joints are not gonna give you a lot more flex , but they will help some. The good thing about the johnny joints is that they will keep your springs from twisting as they flex, which takes a lot of stress off of the main leaf.

I would much rather have a good solid suspension setup (such as marlin's) over a super flexy ramp queen that does not work good on the trail . My  :twocents:
TOYOTA FOUR WHEEL DRIVE..............need I say more?

whiteman

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 669
  • Male Posts: 1,276
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Oct 11, 2005, 09:44:58 AM »
My friend has revolvers on his yj and they are crap! 
They havent broke but on on run they put him on his lid twice.
The problem with them is when on side hills, or in a rear wheel stand they unfold and it's not a pretty sight. 

However the jonny joints,  :yesnod: , Now those are a work of art.  Buy them.  They work awsome.  Not sure on how long they last though. 

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 11, 2005, 03:28:58 PM »
I have heard mixed things about the revolvers. (obviously)  Some rigs they work and work well but others it can be more of a headache then anyhting else.

What your asking about are 2 different items.  The revolver shackle is designed to not only twist but drop as well.  The Johnny Joints only allow for twist.  I don't know that it is fair to say "witch one is better"  I do know though that the Revolvers require very little maintenance, the joint "does" wear out and needs servicing from time to time.

Would I run both, yep but only on the right rig.  I have a "missing link" shackle in the rear now (drop shackle)  I like it. :thumbs:

Stewy
It's built Chevy tough with Toyota stuff!

Hyena

• I'm Legit!!!
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2401
  • Male Posts: 6,715
  • Member since Feb '04
  • AKA Baja Brad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 11, 2005, 04:00:16 PM »
I have also heard some good and bad things about the revolvers.  some people like them and some don't.  It is all about user preference.  Just becasue some people don't like the revolvers doesn't mean you won't like them either.

WideOpen

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -241
  • Male Posts: 163
  • Member since Apr '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 12, 2005, 01:33:51 AM »
I ran the revolvers on the rear of my old truck, they helped out good on the trail lots more droop, but i had crap nwor no flex springs :stopit: . On the road they sucked, everytime i would take off from a stop the shackles would open up lifting the ass end of my truck. then as soon as i went to shift, BANG they would unload. not fun on a daily driver.With good springs i don't think their needed. I noticed a 1" lift from the revolvers and about 9" more droop. I still have the shackles if your interrested.

S-10 Stewy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 127
  • Male Posts: 161
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Oct 12, 2005, 07:15:51 PM »
Yep .... heard this before also.  With a little thinking I bet a guy could design a strap or some kind of an arm to "lock" the shackle down on the street and then simply "un hooking" it when your on the trail. :beer:

Let us never forget the age old rule: in our world of wheeling ... there is ALWAYS give and take!  :thumbs: 

Stewy
It's built Chevy tough with Toyota stuff!

sbc1875

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 37
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Oct 12, 2005, 11:15:18 PM »
i heard revolvers would work good of the front of a toy but not that back.  i am going to try it out pretty soon
83 shortbed frame / 88 extra cab / toy rears up front / grand cherokee in rear i believe / stock gears and motor / first time out rolled it with a broken neck

dizzydevil

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -70
  • Male Posts: 1,491
  • Member since Dec '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 14, 2005, 01:28:54 PM »
i heard revolvers would work good of the front of a toy but not that back. i am going to try it out pretty soon
DONT USE REVOLVERS!!!!
you get nasty kick back on trails and snap drive shafts.
there great for the ramps but on trails there unstable and load up alot.
I have seen a set on a friends truck load up on a waterfall at johnson valley and seaperate his driveshaft from his truck.

notajeep

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -108
  • Male Posts: 703
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Crawler #3289
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 14, 2005, 04:48:10 PM »
I have revolvers on my 80. They are good and bad in their own ways.  But like anything else it is more about learning aobut YOUR truck and how your setup reacts in different situations. I like the flex that the revolvers give... But yes... they can unload.  I have semi solved this problem by using a single limiting strap in the middle of the rear end.  that way one side or the other can fully extend but it does not allow them both to fully unload at the same time.
You have a Jeep?  That's cute.... So does Barbi.