Author Topic: Opinions on Downey springs  (Read 1775 times)

8D3TOY

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Member since May '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Opinions on Downey springs
« on: Jul 26, 2005, 04:24:47 PM »
I know all the major  mfg. springs are way stiff But how about Downey? I know rears in front and all the other ones just looking for an opinion on these, if you or any one you know has run them. Thanks!

KWP

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 878
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Ghost Hunter
    • View Profile
    • East Central Oklahoma Paranormal Society
Re: Opinions on Downey springs
« Reply #1 on: Jul 26, 2005, 04:51:55 PM »
    I ran them on an 85 std cab front and rear. They aren't to bad for the money.I now have the front springs on my 92 runner and they seem much better with the added weight of the v6,they have a realy soft ride. On the 85 they rode a little rough but I had a flat bed and a four banger overall with a little weight on them they seem to be a good spring IMO.
88 Toyota truck ( Under Construction ) Dana 60's front and rear 5.38's, welded diffs, 3inch Downey rears up front,one link rear with aerostar coils rolling on 39.5x16.50/17 Pittbull Rockers and 17x9 Pro Comp extreme alloys.http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=40816.0

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2005, 12:52:22 AM »
A little stiff by today's standard but not bad. I ran mine with Downey's load leaf, 2 1/2 inch shackles, anti-rap kit, on the rear. On the front tossed the sway-bar and replaced the torque arm with a shock, that helped keep the axle from twisting under hard braking and sending you into the weeds but allows for less binding when you are articulating in the rocks.  Oh, my current rig the same set up but I have a set of National springs ready to go in the rear and am going to put the old rears up front and add in a couple of the old front pack in too.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2005, 06:02:25 PM »
Downey springs :yesnod:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

kyle_22r

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Male Posts: 1,233
  • Member since Dec '03
  • yellow beast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2005, 07:39:41 PM »
i ordered mine from some truck performance place a couple weeks ago, i've got my 2" rears in the garage but my fronts haven't been shipped yet(hopefully soon, they say 2 weeks average from the factory).  i would've gotten skyjackers, but the selling point for me on the downeys is that they're the only "cheap" spring with a military wrap.  the rears seem springy so i'll see how they are when i put my overload leave(s) in the packs.

anyone else who has them, did you use just one or both of your overloads?

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2005, 03:48:34 AM »
I used to have them all the way around on my runner and I thought they were kick ass for the cost..At the time i thought they were the bst spring on the market,,but that was along time ago,,before all the changes in springs today..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2005, 09:30:47 AM »
i ordered mine from some truck performance place a couple weeks ago, i've got my 2" rears in the garage but my fronts haven't been shipped yet(hopefully soon, they say 2 weeks average from the factory).  i would've gotten skyjackers, but the selling point for me on the downeys is that they're the only "cheap" spring with a military wrap.  the rears seem springy so i'll see how they are when i put my overload leave(s) in the packs

anyone else who has them, did you use just one or both of your overloads?

If you are refering to the factory Toy overloads, get the Downey overloads and toss those factory ones in your scrap pile. The first set of Downey's I purchased I got them with the Downey overloads and loved it. The set I have now don't and I wish they did, all those factory ones do is limit your travel and flatten (sag) out the pack. A couple of my club members got their first (and last) set of Downey's when I got my first set and they didn't get the Downey overload, they sagged out in a year, while I ran mine for 4 years before I sold the truck and as far as I could tell they never sagged, and I used to put a cab-over camper on my truck.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you