Author Topic: Injector Connector removal / installation  (Read 4133 times)

gonzo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 2000
  • Male Posts: 734
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
Injector Connector removal / installation
« on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:07:12 PM »
To remove a contact from an injector connector you will need a very small flat blade jewelers/miniture screw driver or a suitable substitute (what that means is if you can make one out of a small rod then go for it).  During this process you MUST NOT FORCE ANY OF THE CONNECTORS OR CONTACTS.  Use light pressure and you will get a better result.  The FIRST picture is of the miniture screwdriver I used.  The SECOND picture is of one of the contacts that has been removed from the connector.  Notice the small tab at the top of the contact.  I "pried" it back up after I removed it from the connector.   It is now ready to be reinstalled in the new / old connector.  When you are removing the contact from the connector you want to bend that tab down so the contact can be removed. The THIRD picture is of the front of the connector. 

NOTE:   See the photos of the bail wire (this wire holds the connector to the injector) to get an idea of there location on the connector.  The same miniture screw driver that is used for contact removal is used to remove the wire bail that holds the connector to the injector. 
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005, 05:11:23 AM by gonzo »

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
Re: Injector Connector removal / installation
« Reply #1 on: Jun 11, 2005, 10:56:27 PM »
The FOURTH picture is of a connector with the "bail" wire removed.  This wire holds / locks the connector on to the injector.  These are a royal pain in the butt (PITA) to remove.  I use the mini screwdriver to do that.  When you are trying to remove the bail wire be easy with the connector they crack if to much pressure is applied (to much is not very much for them).  Be sure to keep an eye on the bail wire, it will escape if given a chance.

The FIFTH picture is of the rubber "boot" on the back of the connector.  The boot will have to be split to remove any wires from a damaged connector.  The reason for splitting them instead of just pulling them back is that they have become very stiff and brittle.  You want to protect the wire contacts as much as possible.  Reinstalling the boot after removing it is very important.  Trying to just pull them off will result in damage to the boot and the connector.  Carefully cutting one side of the boot is the best way I have found to make them "re-installable".

The SIXTH picture is of a boot that has been split to allow the removal of the wires.  The connector is removed.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005, 05:12:59 AM by gonzo »

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #2 on: Jun 12, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »
The contacts are removed from the back of the connector, but they are released from the front.  The next TWO PICTURES show the miniature screw driver inserted in the connector contact hole.  A very LIGHT PRESSURE is needed to remove the pin.  I have found that a very slight twist is the easiest way to bend the tab down.Twist one way then try pulling on the wire, if it doesn't come out twist the screw driver the other way and pull the wire again.  Remember use LIGHT PRESSURE and a very minimal twist.  It may take several tries to get the contact to release.

NOTE:  The connectors shown are damaged.  I used these for ease of illustration of the contact removal process.
« Last Edit: Jun 15, 2005, 05:14:02 AM by gonzo »

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
These are pictures of the "bail" wire installed on the connector.  As soon as you remove the connector from the injector the bail wire should be installed on the new connector or re-installed on the same connector, this will help keep the bail wire from getting lost.  Besure to install them with the ends of the wires pointing in the direction shown.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2005, 08:35:32 AM by gonzo »

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
Completed connector.  The boot is wrapped with electrical tape. I actually glued the boot together (where I cut it) just before I wrapped.  I have the bail wire installed on the connector.  Now you can just carefully push the connector on the injector until you hear/feel it lock in place.
« Last Edit: Jun 14, 2005, 08:31:03 AM by gonzo »

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
If you have questions I will do my best to help.  If you have some personal experience to add......please do.

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #6 on: Jun 30, 2005, 10:11:17 AM »
If you have to splice a new connector or contact on to the harness, then take care to make sure that the spliced wires have a good electrical and mechanical connection.  Spend some time verifying what wire goes to what contact hole in the connector.  Mark the wire so that when you cut the old contact off you know to what connector hole it goes (the remaining wire on the harness is what should have the mark, not the piece in you hand).

Before you get started replacing the contact be sure to put some heat shrink tube in place on the harness side of the remaining wire.  I prefer this to electrical tape.

The best way I have found to have a good electrical and mechanical connection is to use an uninsulated butt splice and then solder it.  Install  heatshrink and if possible use a heat gun to shrink the tube (preferred method).

NOTE: DO NOT USE ACID CORE SOLDER.

gonzo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Climb Baby Climb!
    • View Profile
    • My 8E6 runner
« Reply #7 on: Jun 30, 2005, 10:15:29 AM »
NOTE:  If you are not able to find an uninsulated butt splice you can remove the insulation from a insulated splice.  Use care when doing this to avoid injury.