Author Topic: the Marty project – Axle and Steering  (Read 674 times)

ASI H8

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 47
  • Male Posts: 12
  • Member since Sep '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
the Marty project – Axle and Steering
« on: Sep 08, 2023, 06:24:58 AM »
I know suspension plays a part in what can/can’t be done with the axle and steering.  I have a post in the suspension titled “the Marty project – Front Suspension Ideas”
Project is an all Toyota, 1985 Resto-Mod from 2wd to solid front axle 4wd.  Use is a part time DD that will pull an overlanding trailer from time to time and do some mild wheeling.  It will start on 30” tires though the suspension will be designed for 33” tires.  I have a mini truck front axle housing now.  I’ll use IFS outters from the 2000 4Runner donor.  I’ll need to gather the rest of the parts to complete the front axle to include steering arms and pitman.
First - With the front end of a SAS, what should one consider first, Steering or Suspension?
Second - Can the donor pump and cooler be adapted to an older box?  If so, what is the recommended steering box to source and what is the correct mounting location/position of the steering box?
Third - Should the pitman arm be flat or drop? Or should you gain drop through the drag link? Or should the drop be split between the pitman arm and drag link?
Fourth (showing my ignorance here) - Original to the 1985 4wd trucks, was the tie rod above or below the front springs?  I know it is nice to have the tie rod above the springs for additional protection.  To elevate the tie rod over the springs I would need to source the correct tie rod ends, correct? 

Additional considerations:  The added weight, HP and torque of 5VZ-FE, A340, reduction box, T-case.
Thank you in advance.
A traveler has no destination.

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: the Marty project – Axle and Steering
« Reply #1 on: Sep 10, 2023, 09:18:01 AM »
I’m far from knowledgeable on this topic, but you should start by looking at the various high steer kits that are often used in combination with a SAS.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 10, 2023, 01:32:43 PM »
https://www.marlincrawler.com/tech/guide/high-steer-install-instructions

I'm a fan of the flat pitman arm. MC should sell one.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

ASI H8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2023, 12:19:05 AM »
Thank you both for the input.  I am going to do high steer.  Now for the other parts.

As mentioned, I have a front housing from, what believe to be a 1985 Toyota and I'll recycle the IFS outers as well.   I'm building a hybrid high pinion third member.  The rest of the parts I still need to source.  Because I don't intend of running tires over 33", would there be an advantage to source "performance" items like oversized king pen bearing arms (don't recall the exact mane of it), six shooter knuckles, chromoly axle shaft/birfs/outter, etc., or will stock stuff be fine for the application?

Any suggested sources for the rest of the needed parts?
Also looking for a required parts list for conducting an IFS outter swap, donor being a 2000 4Runner.  My fortunate / unfortunate situation is I'm not starting with a complete front axle.

Did I mention I hate sand?

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2023, 04:54:56 PM »
For 33s and what you are doing I wouldn't worry about front axle upgrades to much. The stock birfields will be the weak link. 30 spline RCV's (w/hub gears) and ARP steering arm studs should have you pretty bullet proof on 33s I would think. Front range off road is a good place to get the ARP studs.

80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 

ASI H8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 28, 2023, 04:56:33 AM »
Roger on the birfs.  I've seen more than a few messed up.  Because of the hybrid HP third, Pre-86 housing and IFS outer, I think I'll have to mix and match stuff to make a complete axle shaft for each side.  That sounds fun.  More junk to get figured out.  What I think I'll need are 30 spline inner ends on standard inner length inner shafts to ?? spline Birf.  Birf ?? Spline to outer ?? length and ?? Spline.  I'd like to have manual locking hubs as well.
Thanks for the suggestion of the APR steering arm studs.  I just picked up twin sticks, T-case skid and T-case support from those guys. 

Well off to order studs and figuring out lengths/splines/etc.

Rob

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sep 28, 2023, 09:17:39 AM »
I have only heard of using 86-95 ifs wheel hubs, they do not require any change to the axle shaft.

Cruiser outfitters offers complete Aisin manual locking hubs.
« Last Edit: Sep 28, 2023, 09:26:23 AM by toyodaaddict »

ASI H8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sep 28, 2023, 10:38:31 PM »
I have only heard of using 86-95 ifs wheel hubs,

Dam.  Thanks. 

ASI H8 [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '23
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 09, 2023, 01:02:44 AM »
Dam.  Thanks.
Might be easer to find a complete FJ 60 or 62 series axle?