Author Topic: Horn issues  (Read 1973 times)

Jarhead

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 435
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Horn issues
« on: May 12, 2017, 06:41:55 PM »
Does anyone know what goes between the steering wheel and the horn pad? My horn is not working and it seems like if something is supposed to be between these two things. If you look at the pad, it seems like if something broke off. I bought the truck like this and it never worked. Oh this is on a 85 4runner.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
Re: Horn issues
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2017, 07:21:42 PM »
Okay, heres the little wire that should come off your horn pad http://imgur.com/CGjNMBP

Here's how it should look http://imgur.com/a/OQDPe

And another thing that will be an issue with your horn is the little tab that makes contact with the steering wheel. if you pull off your plastics from around the column, you'll see a ring around the wheel and a little thing that pops out of the column. as you make 300,000 miles of turns, it wears down. there are tons of tutorials on how to fix that, this video should cover it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TjpKTgq9Vjs (make sure with your plastics off, you see it making contact)
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

Jarhead [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2017, 09:37:42 PM »
Thank you for all that info. I did see the metal piece that contacts the ring in the back. One plroblem was that it doesn't even touch the ring. I'm not sure if I can unscrew it a few turns so it can touch the ring. I also figured that the male connector needed to be connected to the portion of the pad that was broken off so I temporarily got some alligator clips and connected the 2 together. When I did that and I also grounded the pad to the steering wheel, the problem whith that it was constantly on and only shut off when I pushed the horn pad in. This is why I thought something was supposed to be there. Maybe I need to pull the pad apart to see what is touching that should not be touching.
Either way thank you 300k for the info it is good to know that I was only missing the connection.

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3744
  • Male Posts: 623
  • Member since Jun '15
  • GREEN NAME MAN BAD!
    • View Profile
    • Please ban me!
          OK!
      I am banned!
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 10:43:39 AM »
Thank you for all that info. I did see the metal piece that contacts the ring in the back. One plroblem was that it doesn't even touch the ring. I'm not sure if I can unscrew it a few turns so it can touch the ring. I also figured that the male connector needed to be connected to the portion of the pad that was broken off so I temporarily got some alligator clips and connected the 2 together. When I did that and I also grounded the pad to the steering wheel, the problem whith that it was constantly on and only shut off when I pushed the horn pad in. This is why I thought something was supposed to be there. Maybe I need to pull the pad apart to see what is touching that should not be touching.
Either way thank you 300k for the info it is good to know that I was only missing the connection.

I didn't feel like messing with the horn garbage cause my truck didn't have horns when I bought it, so I just went to a junk yard and pulled some horns off a Cadillac and wired them up to a button in my dash.
:)bestgen4runner [12:45 PM]:   I am so stupid.

Truer words have never been spoken...

fireitup

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 530
  • Member since Feb '17
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 11:59:03 AM »
I also went with the dash button approach.  That little contact plunger is a pain in the  :moon:
82 Pickup - 22R : OME NitroChargers/Springs : Timing Chain @ 180K

Jarhead [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2017, 12:03:43 PM »
I was thinking about that but I have baby T Rex arms and can't reach the dash unless I lean forward. I want to be able to blast the horn at idiots on the road without thinking about it.