Author Topic: need help, I suppose a bearing issue.  (Read 3144 times)

crawlinflorida

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 64
  • Male Posts: 20
  • Member since Sep '16
  • slow and steady wins the race
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
need help, I suppose a bearing issue.
« on: Oct 08, 2016, 06:16:35 PM »
I have an 83' 4x4 pickup. Recently noticed my front passenger hub not engaging while in four. So I replaced it with a new one I had and it started working. And this has always kinda been there but just after replacing the hub, I would hear a tick often at higher speeds and when breaking. I suspected it being bad wheel bearings. Got worse after replacing the hub. On my way to work, in first gear, heard a pop and pulled over and the hub and wheel nuts and all was pretty warm. So put new wheel bearings in and it was fine for about two days, and I started hearing the tick again slowly and it getting a little warm. Now I didn't replace the inner race thinking it looked just fine, an over sight. It happened again, didn't pop, but the tick got really bad and the hub and all were extremely hot to touch. Bought all new bearings and races at oriellys and replaced them all again and races lol. Put it all back together today drove it around and I still can hear that tick every once and awhile and the hub and wheel nuts were warm. Is it the bearings? if so whats causing it to go bad? or was thinking it was the birfield?
yeeyee :gap:

OTO Phil

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Jan '16
  • Owner of Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • View Profile
    • Offroad Toy Outfitters
    • Buy me a soda
Re: need help, I suppose a bearing issue.
« Reply #1 on: Oct 08, 2016, 06:54:28 PM »
Have you checked your brakes?

Sent from my LG-H830 using Tapatalk

Offroad Toy Outfitters - The best place to find an experienced-based Toyota shop in the PNW and get hands-on with your next project!
2008 4runner V6: Manual transfer case swapped, 4.88s, rear ARB, custom fabricated bumpers, sliders and more!

1993 Standard cab chassis. 1989 Extended Cab. 22R-E BO .020, ENGNBLDR 261c cam, Doug Thorley Tri-Y header, Straight Pipe through a Flowmaster 40, ARB Rear Locker, York OBA with fabricated bracket.
Projects waiting in my shop: '83 Front Axle, TG Sliders, second tcase, XD 4.70 gears!

Mrdietsch430

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '16
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 08, 2016, 08:14:05 PM »
Just an uneducated gues but have you checked your trunion bearings. Could be letting your knuckle tilt and cause a bind maybe or like you said maybe bad birfield( or however it is spelled). Also do you jave a locker in the front. Could exlain clicking and excess heat being generated. Is the other side getting warm also?

crawlinflorida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #3 on: Oct 09, 2016, 05:29:15 AM »
I did put on new rotors and pads around the same time, because that same side the rotor had a bad groove in it. The driver side still feels cool and works well. I have not checked the trunion bearing yet, I was thinking that as well. I do also have a locker in the front.

crawlinflorida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #4 on: Oct 15, 2016, 03:04:35 PM »
so I went through the brakes again, I dont know how I didnt see when I did the pads, but my caliper on that side was completely worn, replaced both sides. But it still is making that bad ticking sound! :headscratch: Beginning to think to the axle might be bad. Or another bad bearing from the caliper being so worn, and it was still binding the rotor and just got too hot and expanded the metals and popped  another bearing. Gonna tear the front axle apart this weekend. I have an extra set of axles so I might rebuild the front end soon.

crawlinflorida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2016, 04:16:54 PM »
so here are some pics of inside the knuckle. I suppose it was the birfield. but is this okay?!?! the inside of the housing where the knuckle is marred  around the trunnion bearings. really hoping I dont need a new front end housing :down:

Sabot

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Dec '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #6 on: Dec 13, 2016, 10:14:44 PM »
Are they stock axles/birfs? When I upgraded to longfields I had to do some grinding in those same areas to get the birfield to clear.

Maybe a good idea to borrow/buy a knuckle centering tool to make sure everything is lined up.

crawlinflorida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #7 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:34:48 AM »
I did just recently buy marlin's front axle rebuild kit and new tie rod ends. I still suspect the knuckle bearing is going out and a tie rod end is bad on that side. Also the tension of that side's knuckles were very loose, at ~5bs with 35s. They're were 4 shims on top and bottom so I took out 1 from both and tightened it all back up and checked it again roughly ~10 or so I don't remember anymore haha. Took out one more from top and bottom and I was right and 15lbs which is suggested for larger tires. But that will all be this weekends project. But it was just a bad longfield in the end and I have been driving it daily for the past month or so no issues Woop Woop!

crawlinflorida [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Sep '16
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #8 on: Dec 14, 2016, 10:36:20 AM »
Are they stock axles/birfs? When I upgraded to longfields I had to do some grinding in those same areas to get the birfield to clear.

Maybe a good idea to borrow/buy a knuckle centering tool to make sure everything is lined up.

When I pulled the axle I found they were longfields, so I suppose that is why the grind marks are there. I bought a new longfield and no issues.  :gap: :beer:

ArloMyles

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '17
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2017, 09:00:56 PM »
Nice fix! :clap: