Author Topic: Dual Batteries Installed  (Read 3144 times)

waskillywabbit

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
Dual Batteries Installed
« on: Apr 02, 2005, 07:28:35 PM »
Here is my installation, functional, yet not fully installed as I still have to install my tool box in the rear which will house the dual batteries and my compressor.  A parts/tool list is on my website, along with a description of what I did thus far.  I'll update this thread and my website as I finish the permanent installation in the future.

Dual Batteries

:yupyup:

KYOTA

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
Re: Dual Batteries Installed
« Reply #1 on: Apr 02, 2005, 07:37:10 PM »
Looks good, I plan on running duals in the future. Could you explain the different switch positions a little more

brainlessfool

• It's not my problem if you can't hear the voices too.
  • Turtle Points: 2730
  • Male Posts: 4,207
  • Member since Jun '02
  • drive fast or the devil may get ya
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Apr 02, 2005, 08:53:26 PM »
So it looks like your running three batts. one as a main ,and two as the aux?
A good day working, that's just sick :reg:

Mattinker

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Member since Mar '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 02, 2005, 11:01:50 PM »
This is just a warning about something that happend to me that wasn't easy to figure out! I had a problem with two batterries connected in parallel. I found that if I didn't use the truck for a week or ten days, both batteries would go flat. An auto electrician friend of mine solved the problem for me, the batteries, when they are not being charged can discharge themselves into each other, backwards and forwards IE. One has slightly more charge than the other, it will discharge slowly in to the other, the other then discharges back in to the first. This cycle continues until both batteries are flat. Whilst under charge, there's no problem. As I used my truck only every couple of weeks, I just disconnected one terminal on the second battery. It would be quite easy to rig up a relay or breaker to cut out the second battery when not in use!

I hope the problem never shows up! It was a real headache t o resolve!

Matthew

waskillywabbit [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Male Posts: 133
  • Member since Oct '04
  • Tuscaloosa, AL
    • View Profile
    • WabFab Off -Road LLC
« Reply #4 on: Apr 03, 2005, 07:51:20 AM »
Looks good, I plan on running duals in the future. Could you explain the different switch positions a little more

This is from Roger Brown's website and he has the same kit...but I think he lists the modes a bit different...

"Mode one is used for most conditions. In this position the system has twice the normal starting amperage automatically. Batteries are isolated with the ignition off, thus preventing the "dueling battery syndrome". When the ignition is on (and the engine running) both batteries are charged (in parallel) from the alternator.

Mode Two is provided to lock out the auxiliary battery. In this mode the secondary battery can be held in reserve when heavy winching or extended cranking are expected. Or, in my case, I have the winch connected to the auxiliary battery, so this way the winch will not drain my main battery. In this mode, the main battery is charged by the alternator, but not the auxiliary one.

Mode Three is used if the main battery won't start the vehicle. This mode allows a self jump-start from the auxiliary. Both batteries are charged by the alternator in this mode, however, the solenoid remains energized even if the engine is off."

Here is what I read off the instructions...

Mode 1: The main battery is used only for vehicle operation.  The solenoid is not activated and the auxiliary batteries are not charged.  Just like what you have w/ the main battery up front; just like you don't have any extra batteries.

Mode 2: The main and auxiliary batteries are connected for charging and starting and the green light illuminated on the switch when the key is in the on position.  This charges all (3) batteries and connects them for charging and starting the vehicle...i.e., your front battery died for some reason...can you say jumpstart yourself automatically.  :gap:

Mode 3: The main and auxiliary batteries are connected together and the red light is illuminated at all times regardless of ignition switch position.  This can be done even without the key in the ignition, say for overnight camping, winching, to draw power for whatever w/o having to leave the rig unlocked or the keys in the ignition.  Just hook up a power inverter and you can run lots of toys all night/day.  Then switch over to Mode 2 in the morning and charge them all back up.

So it looks like your running three batts. one as a main ,and two as the aux?

Yes, that is correct.  One main, two aux.  Lots of power for the future.

This is just a warning about something that happend to me that wasn't easy to figure out! I had a problem with two batterries connected in parallel. I found that if I didn't use the truck for a week or ten days, both batteries would go flat. An auto electrician friend of mine solved the problem for me, the batteries, when they are not being charged can discharge themselves into each other, backwards and forwards IE. One has slightly more charge than the other, it will discharge slowly in to the other, the other then discharges back in to the first. This cycle continues until both batteries are flat. Whilst under charge, there's no problem. As I used my truck only every couple of weeks, I just disconnected one terminal on the second battery. It would be quite easy to rig up a relay or breaker to cut out the second battery when not in use!

I hope the problem never shows up! It was a real headache t o resolve!

Matthew

Makes sense, thanks for the heads up.  Mine is a DD, so I don't know if that will make a difference.  Next thing to do is to put some voltage meters in the A-pillar to monitor the battery juice...that should show me if there is a problem.

:yupyup:

« Last Edit: Apr 03, 2005, 08:39:27 AM by waskillywabbit »

KYOTA

• Turtle Points: 1759
  • Member since Jan '04
  • Wreckin Ball '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Apr 03, 2005, 11:18:51 AM »
cool, thanks for explanation wiring aint my thing if you know what I mean.

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Apr 03, 2005, 12:34:27 PM »
looks nice
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"