Author Topic: Degree shims am I missing something?  (Read 1124 times)

Nevada Crawler

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Degree shims am I missing something?
« on: Jan 27, 2016, 08:25:53 AM »
1986 SAS Toyota. rears up front 63 inchers in the rear. I just got the truck about 6 weeks ago and have been going through it fixing everything that was wrong. I thought I was done but last night I noticed the truck leaned to the passenger side on the front corner. So after a closer look I noticed under the springs on the driver side there was a .250 shim plus a degree shim and on the passenger side only a degree shim. Why I don't know but I know I can take the .250 shim out to level it out but the question is, someone put the degree shims in backwards, meaning rotating the pumpkin down. Am I missing something here? From what I am looking at the pumpkin needs to be pointing up towards the transfer case more not down, right.  I am just wondering if I am missing some kind of knew idea here or did the previous owner not know what he was doing.  :hammerhead:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Degree shims am I missing something?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 27, 2016, 10:10:29 AM »
That is correct on the use of the shim. 

The issue could lie with the rears up front.  Because you have to frankenstein them to work.  One spring might just be a little softer.  People go RUF cause its cheap, and springs are readily had for free. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
Re: Degree shims am I missing something?
« Reply #2 on: Jan 27, 2016, 12:25:34 PM »
On the Toyota front axle, the driver side spring perch sits lower than the passenger side perch. The stock driver side spring has more arc to make up the difference. when using aftermarket lift springs or RUF, the spacer (3/8 I believe) is used to make up the difference, so the truck sits level.  Are you using bump stops? Is it possible that one of your four springs is bent/sagging, front or rear ?
As for the shims, it's really hard to say without seeing your setup. When it comes to front shims, they are generally used to correct caster more so than drive line angle. Depending on whats been done to your truck the shims may be installed correctly. How is your steering? I would pull the shims out and test drive it. If it drives the same or better leave them out, if worse put them back as they where.

Cheesemaker, you left out the best reason people use RUF, they flat out work :biggthumpup:
 Ruf are not as straight forward as store bought lift springs, but when put together right and properly tuned RUF can be what ever you need them to be.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0