Author Topic: Hi All!  (Read 1624 times)

stansama

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Hi All!
« on: Feb 28, 2015, 06:28:02 AM »
Howdy everyone! My name is Stan, new member with a somewhat new to me '87 4Runner. Always loved these trucks growing up, never had one, so jumped at the chance to pick one up last fall that had minimal rust (compared to everything else Maine has to offer). Seemed decent, does needs rocker panel work. Frame had been patched in one spot but needed more work up front, the rest was in decent condition with surface rust but no holes. Got the frame patched and I've been driving it for a few months now back and forth to work. Has 174,000 on it, I believe the engine and trans are original. Old school style body lift with hockey pucks (hehe) which I'll probably replace eventually for an actual kit and get some new body mounts to replace the squished ones.
I don't have any particular plans for the truck at the moment, it was sort of an impulse buy but both my wife and I fell in love with it when we found it. I'd like to just get it in good functional condition and try to keep it that way for the time being. I've always had dreams of having a big rock crawling truck, maybe eventually I'll have the time and money to make something with this runner but for now it's just going to be a daily driver. I'll throw up some pictures soon, just wanted to say hi and I'm glad to have stumbled across this forum/website. Looking forward to learning more about the vehicle and meeting some new folks.  :beerchug:

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Hi All!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 28, 2015, 08:29:53 AM »
 :welcome: to  :turtle: 

Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

OVRAROK

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 26739
  • Male Posts: 3,523
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 28, 2015, 09:00:50 AM »
 :welcome: :usa:
Even the most primitive society, has an intimate respect for the insane.

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #3 on: Feb 28, 2015, 01:31:55 PM »
Welcome from a native mainiac! What part of Maine are you in?

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Feb 28, 2015, 03:18:09 PM »
 :welcome:
Me

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #5 on: Mar 01, 2015, 07:59:37 PM »
:welcome: II  :turtle:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

stansama [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2015, 06:06:36 AM »
Welcome from a native mainiac! What part of Maine are you in?

Crazy! Seems I never find other Mainers on the online forums. I work in Brunswick living in Sabattus at the moment. Grew up out on North Haven island off the coast of Camden/Rockland. How about yourself? Thanks for the warm welcomes all!

81 shortbed

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Male Posts: 329
  • Member since Nov '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #7 on: Mar 02, 2015, 08:19:28 AM »
Originally from burnham. Been in Texas for 2 years but I'm moving back home in June. Get that runner ready and we'll do some wheeling this summer.

stansama [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 06, 2015, 11:48:25 AM »
So I've had some bad luck with the 4runner. I apologize for not putting up pictures yet but I've been too preoccupied. The transmission locked up on me a couple times but came out of it, though with some residual scraping sounds when the clutch is engaged. I had a mechanic tell me the input shaft bearing was frozen, and was causing it to lock up (couldn't move truck, even in neutral when letting out clutch the engine would stall because nothing was moving), so I got a replacement used transmission which I originally thought was another W56 but turns out is something different. It was the only thing local I could find, so I bought it anyway along with the engine in case the transmission wouldn't mate to my engine, and had it put in. Turns out to be a 4 speed, came with a carb'd 22r, and he had to cut the floorboard ahead a little to fit the shifters. I'm fine with that for now, I might eventually get another w56 when I can really put some money into this thing and have it restored, but for now I just want to pluck away at things.

Anyway, here's the problem that faces me now. The guy who did the work accidently hit the rusty fuel line along the frame when he was taking the old transmission out, and it caused a leak. The whole line is pretty rusty, so I should really replace it. He tried to put a patch over the line but it still pours out. I've been trying to find information regarding a factory replacement, but from what I've found they don't seem to be available. Can anyone confirm this? It's a 1987 4runner DLX originally 5spd, with the removable fiberglass top. If there is a factory replacement available I'd love to buy one. If not, what size line do I need to get to make a replacement? Is 5/16ths correct? And is it possible to get new fittings or do I have to pray that I can reuse my old ones? Thanks for any advice.