Author Topic: Oxygen Sensor Rattling  (Read 4503 times)

Weldo

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 101
  • Male Posts: 454
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Use what you can, make what you can't.
    • View Profile
Oxygen Sensor Rattling
« on: Mar 29, 2005, 05:11:05 PM »
OK, so I notice my O2 sensor is rattling, no big deal, But it seems the nuts that hold it down are gone.  My sensor mounts right in front of the catalyitic converter.  I can't see the mounting nuts, but it feels like htere's no nuts at all  :smack:  on the studs.  It kinda felt like E-clips, but they were probably washers, I couldn't imagine they'd use clips instead of nuts.  So could anyone tell me the thread size and pitch so I can get replacement nuts?  (Hope the studs aren't too far gone!)
Welders Hold the World Together!

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
Re: Oxygen Sensor Rattling
« Reply #1 on: Mar 29, 2005, 08:34:28 PM »
WELD IT
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

Ferg

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 416
  • Male Posts: 577
  • Member since May '03
  • That was EASY!!
    • View Profile
Some idiots are too busy knowing it all, to ever learn anything...

scheid6996

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,216
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 29, 2005, 11:17:47 PM »
 :haha:
When i die, i wana Be buried face down, so anyone who doesnt like me can kiss my :moon:

Its a redneck thing
"Nobody Loves Me"

mr4x42u

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 700
  • Member since Sep '02
  • LOCKED AND LOADED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 29, 2005, 11:31:17 PM »
That pretty typical,,rust and heat rape it..A small tack may not hurt..I guess it depens what o2 sensor were talking about and on what year rig,,they differ in design..i think the tacoma ones cam be tacked if thats what it takes..I think I would just replace the pipe and sensor and just bite the bullet..
Forgiveness is between them and god..
Its my job to arrange the meeting!

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 30, 2005, 02:23:23 PM »
Its a 91, pickup, 22re.  Any chance I could just replace the nuts?  I don't see why not as long as the threads are still somewhat intact.  Anyone know what size and thread pitch the nuts might be?  Any close estimates even?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 30, 2005, 02:29:21 PM »
they're 12mm nuts I beleive, possibly 10mm.  (its been a few weeks since i took mine off)  and i dunno about the pitch :dunno:  get some silly putty, or bubble gum, and press it to one side of one of the studs.  Then take it to the hardware store and match the thread iprint with the right bolt, then find the nut fr that bolt.  My grandpa used to do that all the time.  He used silly putty because he could make the mold, then put it in the little egg, and not have to worry about the imprint gettin messed up  :thumbs: goodluck
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 31, 2005, 01:40:37 PM »
Wow, thats genius!  What a great idea!  I'll give that a shot, thanks!

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:05:11 PM »
I did the putty thing, only with a wad of stick tack, it worked great.  Found the thread pitch to be 1.25.  I got some 10mm washers but they were too big.  The nuts ended up being 8mm x 1.25.  Thanks for all your help, everyone!

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:51:41 PM »
10 mm is going to be what size wrench fits on the nut, not the size of the stud itself.  Clean the area around the sensor and check back in a while, see if there is any black soot around it.  If it was rattling it may have burned out the gasket a bit.  Then on the other hand, I think the stock gaskets have a fire ring, so maybe you'll be ok

Uncle Jesse

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 21
  • Male Posts: 375
  • Member since Sep '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 31, 2005, 04:52:29 PM »
By the way, a lot of bolts and nuts on toyotas are 1.25 pitch, so keep that in mind.  Some places call that a fine thread metric.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Apr 01, 2005, 11:04:47 AM »
I did the putty thing, only with a wad of stick tack, it worked great.  Found the thread pitch to be 1.25.  I got some 10mm washers but they were too big.  The nuts ended up being 8mm x 1.25.  Thanks for all your help, everyone!

glad you got it done :thumbs: My grandpa used to have those silly putty eggs in his toolboes, and no one could figure out why he had them :dunno:  I think it is a great little trick.  Glad it worked

:beerchug:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

-Ronald Reagan

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Apr 01, 2005, 01:14:36 PM »
I got another problem.  Got the nuts and ran 'em on, tightened 'em up, but the sensor is still loose and rattling.  I cranked those nuts down pretty good, but the sensor didn't tighten down at all.  Maybe the gasket is gone and wont allow the flange to tighten up all the way?  I still have a suspicion, though, that there's E clips on the studs because even though the nuts were gone off the studs, the sensor wasn't coming off, it just lifted about 1/8" or so.  Maybe the washers are just rusted tight?  I wish I could see up there but there's not much room to look around.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Apr 01, 2005, 02:07:32 PM »
I dont have any clips on mine, its just the two nuts.  check the gasket.  I'll go out and look at mine, but it is a 3.0 so i dunno if it will be different

Edit: I just went and looked, its just the two nuts, but there is a heat sheild that slides over the studs as well.  If you are missing that, that may be why it doent tighten down all the way.  Is your O2 sensor itself loose in the brakcet that is held down by the two nuts? 

-Ronald Reagan

Weldo [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jan '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Apr 01, 2005, 05:50:01 PM »
I found the problem!  What it was, was the nuts that were on there had rusted down to little rusty sleeves like, rusted in place on the studs.  When I went to tighten the new nuts, the new nuts tightened up to the rusty sleeves and not to the base of the oxygen sensor.  All I had to do was throw on 2 washers per stud to space the nut above the little rusty remnants of the old nuts.  Problem solved.  I didn't even notice my gasket, maybe it was rusted in place and stuck, but I just tightened it down real good.  Oughtta be good til I replace the exhaust with something better.  Thanks again for all the help!