Author Topic: Noob nissan owner that has question about solid axle conversion  (Read 1446 times)

firemanpig

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 108
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
In the process of making a 86.5 Nissan crawler ...question is is it better to use Toyota solid axles with leaf springs or jeep axles with coil overs
Everyone starts out life with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of knowledge.  The goal is to fill your bag of knowledge before your luck runs out.

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
Toyota axles with coils
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
First of all!!   :welcome:   to Marlin. 

Secondly, your not gonna see or get much help for Nissan's here.  We are mainly a Toyota site.  But if your cool, we might be able to answer some of your questions.  But, coming from somebody that had a 85 Nissan for 10 years, Toyota is a much better rig.  A 10,000% increase in aftermarket support.  I wasted 10 years messing around with mine, before I saw the light.  And wished I hadn't wasted all that money in a truck that is nothing but a DD at best.   

First off, where is the front output on your t-case?  My 85 was dead center.  Just below the input.  Earlier than 86.5 Hardbody had divorced t-cases.  And I can't remember for sure, but I thought the Hardbody style had the driver side output.  I'm not 100% on this.  So, you will need to find an axle with the diff on the correct side.   
Secondly, what kind of stuff do you plan on doing?  Hardcore rock crawling? More just trail riding?  And how deep are your pockets?  The best is if you can go a 4 link and coilovers, but if you DD, you might not like the noise that will come from the links.  (No bushings)  Springs are a cheaper way to go, but how much fabbing experience do you have? 

My best advice would be, look for a Toyota and use the Nissan for parts running. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

firemanpig [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I'll take the advice about getting a Toyota. But like you said I hav hat the truck since 1987. Bought it as a salvage with a clean title and rebuilt it since then it has been totaled 3 times. Every time ,I pull it into the garage and get her back on the road.last year I passed it to my son when he turned 17 and he totaled it once again. This darn truck has 200k and just won't die. Hence my being so attached to it. He wanted to make a crawler but it will probably be a trail rig. That he can use to drive to school. I'll forget the axle swap for now and focus on getting it back on the road as a daily driver.
My experience in fabricating is minimal but we have to learn sometime. I guess I look at it like " you become  a more dedicated swimmer when he can't touch the bottom". But...... there is that damn possibility of drownin. FMP
Everyone starts out life with a full bag of luck and an empty bag of knowledge.  The goal is to fill your bag of knowledge before your luck runs out.

firemanpig [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '15
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Sorry... lt hand front t-case output. DD light trail rig it is

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Just get a whole Toyota and be done with it. :gap: :welcome: to the board.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you