Author Topic: 84 toyota needs more power  (Read 1701 times)

evan2525

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: -22
  • Male Posts: 1
  • Member since Nov '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
84 toyota needs more power
« on: Nov 13, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
So I have an 84 Toyota p/u 4x4 with a stock 22r engine. I have been trying to find out how to get more power out of my truck and have heard either converting to a weber carb or fuel injection. I would like to convert to a fuel injection, but do not know what all that entails. Or if there is a way to easily just beef up the engine I already have with a few simple changes? Thank you.

Cheesemaker

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: 84 toyota needs more power
« Reply #1 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:17:31 PM »
First, how many miles are on the motor? 

To go EFI, the best is a complete parts truck.  Will need fuel tank, and all the EVAP stuff.  The wiring, ECM, intake, AFM, sensors, and everything else to make it work.  OR you can get the factory carb rebuilt, cam and header will help open up the motor.  And if your not into crawling, an older Weber carb will help give you more power for sure.  But they are not fans of rock crawling.  I say older Webers, because there is reports of the newer carbs are garbage. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #2 on: Nov 14, 2014, 08:40:13 PM »
What size tires?

What's the rear-end ratio?

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

84Flatbed

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -196
  • Member since Jun '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Nov 14, 2014, 09:45:37 PM »
How much power increase do you actually get from just the efi swap. There are definate benifits to efi but I don't know if power is one of them. I have an 84 with an efi swap and its far from feeling powerful. 36's and 5.29's and it takes all its got to go freeway speed. The swap was done by a previous owner and I have no idea what condition the motor is in, maybe a fresh 22r would feel like it has power.

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2014, 11:06:15 PM »
Not much, and carb allows more tunability and power potential with less.  It all depends on how much you're willing to do.  Ported head, bigger valves, better cam profile, head with proper exhuast.  All will net you decent gains, but it is all kinda pissing in the wind.  If you're considering efi, strongly consider spending the extra up front and just swap in a 3rz.  And this is from a guy who's tired of hearing of 3rz swaps  :ack:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

Nation

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1141
  • Male Posts: 1,565
  • Member since Mar '13
  • @nationallmotors
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #5 on: Nov 15, 2014, 05:43:01 AM »
Not much, and carb allows more tunability and power potential with less.  It all depends on how much you're willing to do.  Ported head, bigger valves, better cam profile, head with proper exhuast.  All will net you decent gains, but it is all kinda pissing in the wind.  If you're considering efi, strongly consider spending the extra up front and just swap in a 3rz.  And this is from a guy who's tired of hearing of 3rz swaps  :ack:

I don't think there is anything cost effective you could do to make that 22r or a 22re tolerable in my opinion.  Save the cash.... there are other motors to swap...  2rz or 3rz great options.. amazing motors... able to make much power.
3RZ, LC engineering Turbo kit, R151, Dual Ultimate, Yota axles-5:29s, Spartan front, LSD Rear

desertyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 3
  • Member since Oct '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Nov 15, 2014, 10:48:54 PM »
I've owned an 86 22r 4x4 with a rebuilt carb, a 94 fuel injected, and now own a first gen pick-up with a 22re swap out of an 88' 4-runner.

The 22re seemed to have a little more pep than stock carberated to me..  and I believe the specs give it a few more ponys..On my 94 truck, I had a bored out throttle body and header from Downey and 2.5 inch exhaust..  It had great low end power and got out of its own way on the street, but i agree with most here, that the 22 series motors leave something to be desired in the horsepower dep..     I didn't do the cam on the 94 22re, because I was worried about offsetting the base timing, passing smog, ect..

That said, I have always been happy with my 22r trucks and will always own one.. Its one of the best designed motors, toyota made..  everyone knows they are bulletproof.  3rz swap would be killer too, but the 22r motor put these trucks on the map.  Thats why i didnt put a V-8 in my landcruiser..  I converted the 2f to fuel injection.. and with a header, that thing is like a little street rod!  People like to see the original motors in these trucks.. its what makes them so cool!

Also having the right gearing for your tire size makes a big difference in performance with 4 bangers..

-Just my experience and meager two cents

-Dan
« Last Edit: Nov 15, 2014, 11:07:52 PM by desertyota »

madginger

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2014, 08:41:04 AM »
I have also wondered how to get more power from a 22R as well and the best way from my research is to swap in a 3RZ with this harness:
http://www.offroadsolutions.com/products/ors-stand-alone-3rz-fe-conversion-wiring-harness/