Author Topic: PLZ HELP! 84 4Runner, nothing works but the headlights...  (Read 3394 times)

oldyotaholic

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
PLZ HELP! 84 4Runner, nothing works but the headlights...
« on: Dec 11, 2013, 08:12:30 AM »
As it says, I have an 84 4Runner SR5.  It has a 22re swapped, based off the ecu numbers looks like it came from either from a 91 or 92 pickup.  I don't think that has anything to do with my problem, but I wanted to make that clear up front.

On lunch break yesterday I drove to get food, parked the truck and turned it off with the key like normal.  15 minutes later I go to get back in the truck and when I turn the key I don't get power to anything but the headlights.  No radio, heater controls, dash lights, turn signals, or anything.  Headlights turn on, but no tail lights or brake lights.  Flashers dont work either, they should work without the key shouldnt they?

Things Ive done so far to diagnose:

-Bypass starter signal, engine cranks over for 10+ seconds.  Battery and starter are both good.
-Replaced ignition switch, still nothing
-Checked all fuses and relays that can be visually checked, nothing seems to be blown.
-Checked all wires to ignition switch with multimeter, no voltage at any terminal.  Should be power coming into the switch somewhere, right?

So my truck is stuck on the side of the road, hoping to get it fixed soon so I dont have to pay for a tow.  Plus we just got snow on the ground, not a good time for my only 4wd vehicle to go out  :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Tyler

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Might be the fuseable link by the battery.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

camhays556

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 498
  • Member since Nov '12
    • View Profile
I had a problem with my alternator wiring not connecting so the battery wouldn't charge. check the alternator to

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
you were daily driving this before?

almost sounds like one of your main grounds or power wires is shot for some reason.......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
check for spark,  check all fuses, and look for hacked wire, get a friend and a rope and tow the thing home yourself, F them tow bills

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
As it says, I have an 84 4Runner SR5.  It has a 22re swapped, based off the ecu numbers looks like it came from either from a 91 or 92 pickup.  I don't think that has anything to do with my problem, but I wanted to make that clear up front.

On lunch break yesterday I drove to get food, parked the truck and turned it off with the key like normal.  15 minutes later I go to get back in the truck and when I turn the key I don't get power to anything but the headlights.  No radio, heater controls, dash lights, turn signals, or anything.  Headlights turn on, but no tail lights or brake lights.  Flashers dont work either, they should work without the key shouldnt they?

Things Ive done so far to diagnose:

-Bypass starter signal, engine cranks over for 10+ seconds.  Battery and starter are both good.
-Replaced ignition switch, still nothing
-Checked all fuses and relays that can be visually checked, nothing seems to be blown.

-Checked all wires to ignition switch with multimeter, no voltage at any terminal.  Should be power coming into the switch somewhere, right?

So my truck is stuck on the side of the road, hoping to get it fixed soon so I dont have to pay for a tow.  Plus we just got snow on the ground, not a good time for my only 4wd vehicle to go out  :mad:

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.
Tyler

Don't assume that because it looks good it is. check the fuses with a meter, or replace them. Get a test light in there. You obviously have power, since you have headlights and you can jump the starter. Since you have no power ANYWHERE else, you need to start at the main fuse.

tgmaul88

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 985
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Im still alive
    • View Profile
 check fuse on drivers side kick panel maybe a relay - fuse took a poop from a short. id look everything down

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
I would start at the battery with a testlight, and a volt ohm meter. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

toyodaaddict

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 399
  • Male Posts: 1,145
  • Member since Sep '08
    • View Profile
i think theres a good chance the problem is between the battery and  the under hood fuse box. did you clean the connections at the battery terminals ? just recently my truck did this to me on the trail, same symptoms. first thing i did was clean the connection at the negative terminal since that seems to be the spot whenever i have a starting issue but no go that didnt work. i thought my battery was done till i saw my head lights worked fine. i cleaned the connections at the positive terminal and it fired right up. simple stuff first.
80 shortbed-22re,w56,Marlin 23 spline dual cases,HighAngle drivelines,RUF/63"chevy's,35''mtr's,30 spline Longfields, Allpro highsteer.87 rear axle,5.29 gears,rear spool,BudBuilt cm, marlin HD clutch,ramsey 8000 winch. 
     https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=101882.0

oldyotaholic [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Might be the fuseable link by the battery.

Ive swapped the fusible link with a couple spares, one out of my running 84 extended cab.  There is voltage going to a few of the fuses in the fusebox under the hood and a few of the wires that plug into the fusebox have power to them as well. 

I had a problem with my alternator wiring not connecting so the battery wouldn't charge. check the alternator to

I had the alternator tested on and off the vehicle, its putting out 14+ volts and 39 amps so its making power.  I just put a new belt on and checked all of my wires to it, everything is connected. 

you were daily driving this before?

almost sounds like one of your main grounds or power wires is shot for some reason.......

Yes, been dailying it for approx 2 months since I picked it up.  Ive put over 1500 miles on it since.  I pulled up, parked the truck, and turned off the key like normal.  Turn the key on to leave and I got nothing.  Didnt make a pop, sizzle, smoke, or anything else noticeable.  Power didnt kick in then cut out when I turned the key, I never got power on when I turned the key back on. 

Don't assume that because it looks good it is. check the fuses with a meter, or replace them. Get a test light in there. You obviously have power, since you have headlights and you can jump the starter. Since you have no power ANYWHERE else, you need to start at the main fuse.

Ive tested all the fuses with a multi meter, some do have power.  I jumped the starter straight from the batter, mainly to test the battery and make sure it has enough CCA's.   

oldyotaholic [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I also tested the ignition switch for 12v, Im not getting power to any of the wires to the ignition switch.  I replaced the ignition switch and still nothing.  I tested the harness where the ignition switch plugs into, no power there either.  Does anybody know which wire is supposed to feed 12v into the ignition switch? 

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
at this point, I would look directly at the ign fuse
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Was the 22RE swap a complete swap with the wiring harness? If there was any splicing into the fusebox I would check all of those splices.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
When I bought my 85 4runner the previous owner had the headlights and horn and some other wierd stuff wired to aftermarket switches straight off the battery.  I couldn't figure out why because all the factory wiring was still there and good.  What I ended up figuring out was that the 12 volt relay was missing.  It is in the fuse block and is a black square about 1" x 1".  After I replaced it and hooked everything back up to the factory wiring it all worked just fine.  That may be something to check.  It has been years since I bought it so I can't remember if everything you listed were the same symptoms. 

Fjcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
I would say check main ground

Fjcrawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Jan '14
  • Crawling with Marlin