Author Topic: Clueless 98 Clutch Issues  (Read 1045 times)

bluecollarjock

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Clueless 98 Clutch Issues
« on: Nov 22, 2013, 02:19:44 PM »
1998 4runner 4x4, 5 speed, 170k miles.

Have a broken Sway Away coil that has been on back order for over a month!  So the truck has been sitting for almost two months now...

I went to make sure it would still start, the it did easily but I could not even get it in gear, had to literally pump the clutch and really force it in. I was not driving but just playing as I let it run.

Last year when I left it parked once I came to it and the clutch was on the floor.  I worried, but pulled it back up, pumped it a few times and it was fine. My mechanic said there was no leak in the master or slave cylinder (who knows).  So I kept driving it. Now its for sure something leaking since sitting it killed it...

Before this issue, the clutch was grabbing only close to the top, so I am assuming it needs a clutch anyhow.

If I am going to do this ONCE and plan on trying to keep this truck forever, what all parts should I buy to get rebuilt clutch?

A heavy duty Marlin Crawler clutch rebuild kit
-Rear main seal?
-Clutch pedal return spring?
-Marlin flywheel?
-Slave and Master Cylinder from Marlin
-Clutch Pedal return bushing?

There seems to be other odds and ends some people suggest getting done if doing the clutch.  Stuff for the pedal, stuff for the mount around the stick shift itself, etc its confusing.  I do not want to mess with this again, so basically whatever is suggested I would like to order all the parts from Marlin and then take it to my mechanic when money is right.

Darn truck needs a coil, tires, clutch it seems now, and I wanted to do skids and sliders.  I am medically retired on disability and my disability got cut off on some freaking bogus technicality, so until that is resolved I am in the hurt box.  Sway Away was going to replace the broken coil for free, do the install and rebuild shocks for cheap, give me a matching coil at price for other side....then I was thinking about Kelly TSR 265/70-17 tires, Budbuild skid, sliders (not sure if I should do bolt on or weld on, Savage, Trailgear, ??? so many options Marlin does not seem to have them for my year), and now it looks like it will be replace coils, then get the clutch done!!!!!  Then tires, sliders, skid, and maybe some day a rear bumper....

If someone can give me basically the low down on what to order, maybe I can con the family into my Christmas list being whatever I need for the clutch!!!

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
Re: Clueless 98 Clutch Issues
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2013, 02:50:55 PM »
I had my clutch lave cylinder go out on me.  And it was giving me the same issues you are experiencing.

I would look into swapping out the slave cylinder and see what that does.  That is the cheaper route.  But if you want to install a new clutch, I'd give Marlin a call.  They can set you up. 

FYI: they have some things that haven't made it to their website.  So, call them.  But be patient, they get swamped with calls all day long, so if you don't get through, keep trying. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

bluecollarjock [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '13
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Re: Clueless 98 Clutch Issues
« Reply #2 on: Nov 23, 2013, 03:00:37 PM »
Thank you sir!  I might order the slave cylinder and get it done just to get by for now...but if it ends up needing the clutch I will call them and make sure to ask about items that might not be on the website.

Thanks for the heads up!