Author Topic: Wheeling with a Trailer?  (Read 3156 times)

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
Wheeling with a Trailer?
« on: Jul 22, 2012, 09:51:19 PM »
Anybody have an personal experience wheeling with a trailer or know somebody that does?  I have a friend that insists dragging an off road trailer behind his Jeep Cherokee even though it's mostly empty and has no purpose other than he thinks it's exciting.  This weekend his ARBs were not working and that coupled with his driving style/skill resulted in a bent tie rod and broken front u-joint (I think at least the outer ears were damaged as well).  He also had overheating issues and even vapor locked once.  I don't plan to ever wheel with him again if the trailer goes along, but figured that I'd at least try to find some people that also pull trailers so that I could give him some information on their rigs and also convince him that people really don't just pull trailers without a genuine purpose.  I think all of his issues could have been resolved simply by removing the trailer, but he simply doesn't see this as his reality.

:smack:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Re: Wheeling with a Trailer?
« Reply #1 on: Jul 22, 2012, 10:32:46 PM »
I'd agree with your point of view and ideas. My dads building an old military jeep trailer to pull behind his jeep but he's not planning on doing any wheeling with it. Only planning on using it for expedition trips. But quite obviously pulling a trailer is going to put more strain on your vehicle, especially offroad when you're basically dragging dead weight. You have 2 more tires to get bound up and your rig is the only thing that's going to get them out.

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jul 27, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »
If you don't need to, why on earth would you pull a trailer?  I'd drive away from this guy as fast as you can.

Kevo

H8PVMNT

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jul 27, 2012, 04:15:42 PM »
Jeeps break alot.  More off road, even more off road pulling a trailor...

We have considered maybe making a camping/expedition trailor with kind of big tires, extra fuel tanks and a minimal fold out kitchen but I would never plan on wheeling any real trails with it. Out idea is that it would beat loading the crap out of the 4runner and wheeling it loaded and you could just get to your camp spot in the area you are wheeling and just unhook the trailor and set up camp faster. Wheeling with a trailor in general is just inconveniant though.
“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

Snowtoy

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1403
  • Male Posts: 2,583
  • Member since Sep '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jul 27, 2012, 10:29:38 PM »
From the sounds of it your buddy doesn't have the experience needed to wheel the rig he has, let alone wheeling with a trailer. 
'90 black X-cab mod'd 3.0, 33's/4.88's, rear ARB, custom bumpers, sliders, safari rack, etc.
'91 Blue X-cab 22re, 35's/5.29's,Truetrac front, ARB rear, dual cases, and custom Safari flatbed, bumper, interior.
The money pit '87 Supra resto/mod

monk #1164

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 370
  • Member since Dec '08
  • LETS ROCK!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:48:08 AM »
i drag  ( key word drag ) this one to red or sand flats for a base camp but yo Coyote...no way but its not that big of a deal unyil you reach the limits of your rig...lockers and gears with good tires and gears it doesn't hold you back much. but if your under powered its not going to be fun
LETS HIT THE TRAILS!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jul 28, 2012, 10:53:24 AM »
why would you bring along a trailer?

park it at camp, and go wheel the rig....

:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

monk #1164

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -16
  • Male Posts: 370
  • Member since Dec '08
  • LETS ROCK!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jul 28, 2012, 12:25:30 PM »
to carry all the goodies
LETS HIT THE TRAILS!

toe

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -60
  • Male Posts: 1,693
  • Member since Dec '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jul 28, 2012, 04:03:22 PM »
For the port-a-pottie
Me

Cheesemaker

• Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jul 28, 2012, 09:06:53 PM »
I'd rock a little trailer like Monk's.  Haul it to where your camping, and leave it.  Nothing like being able to lock all your gear up, while out rocking the trails. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

spoolnaround

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 30, 2012, 01:36:50 PM »
Typical Dusy trip for us.  If your set up right it allows room for the kids and a week long trip.

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #11 on: Aug 31, 2012, 01:51:37 AM »
Of course it can be done but we noticed that there are a few things that come up when towing. If you notice this is a very well set up rig with lots of travel and for some reason this moderate trail tended to cause the tires to lift all the time in spots that would not normally cause this. Also it caused the frame to flex enough to make the fan hit the shroud and also cut an A/C line. Had no real issues getting the trailer through the trail even with the 4cyl.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Ghettofab88

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 05, 2012, 02:27:36 PM »
I have a friend that insists dragging an off road trailer behind his Jeep Cherokee even though it's mostly empty and has no purpose other than he thinks it's exciting.

You guys didn't read the original post very well.

Towing a trailer to the trail is fine and if you need it on the trail, then thats fine too.  I have a jeep buggy with little storage space so I might consider that when the time comes to take the family wheeling.  No way would I haul an empty trailer through dusy or swamp just cause it looks cool!

Kevo

spoolnaround

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Oct 23, 2012, 11:45:47 PM »
You guys didn't read the original post very well.

Towing a trailer to the trail is fine and if you need it on the trail, then thats fine too.  I have a jeep buggy with little storage space so I might consider that when the time comes to take the family wheeling.  No way would I haul an empty trailer through dusy or swamp just cause it looks cool!

Kevo

Ghettofab your right.  Gearing, lockers and larger tires.