Author Topic: Need new shocks....how long? and 5125s or 5150s?  (Read 1679 times)

Westy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 109
  • Member since Jan '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
Need new shocks....how long? and 5125s or 5150s?
« on: Mar 04, 2005, 11:47:44 AM »
I'm purchasing some bilsteins soon, are the 5150s worth it  for the extra $15 a piece versus the 5125s? They will be going on a trail rig with 4.5" Alcans all around. I want some firmer shocks, my doestechs right now are so soft, especially combined with the super soft Alcans. What do you guys recommend? I am hoping it will help reduce some of the excessive body roll associated with such soft springs and I want to maximize travel, currently my rear is still setup in the stock configuration so I will be re mounting it / \ or thru the bed, we'll see. .
I have All Pro hoops in the front - do I run 12" Bils? 14s?
How is the valving on the 5125s versus 5150s ( i know they come in 2 different valved configurations)

I hated my old rs9ks and rs5ks....cant wait to mount up some bilsteins. I will have to say Doestechs are damn good shocks though, I've been impressed.
'86 Pickup flatbed...

ntsqd

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 148
  • Member since Jul '02
    • View Profile
For single damper per tire - leaf spring applications you want the 255/70 valving.

I doubt many crawlers can work a damper hard enough to need a remote reservoir, but if you also drop the hammer on occasion then some sort of remote will be a bonus. I see the 5150's as a marketing ploy. They are a remote res, but they aren't far enough away to get fresh air. So they'll cool better than a non-remote, but not as good as a 7100 with a 'real' remote res.

AIR, allpro sells their hoops based on the damper stroke. So if you have 12" stroke dampers now you're likely stuck with that stroke damper. You do need to look at the extended and compressed lengths of your current dampers vs. those you're thinking of putting on. Monotube dampers like the Bils tend to be longer than twin-tube dampers for the same stroke length. There is a way around this, but it's slightly confusing and spendy, so don't go there unless you have to.
Cross threaded is tighter than Locktite

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
I would avoid the 5150's  mine did not even survive the UPS throwers. The piggyback resivoir broke off BOTH shocks, sending all of its pressurized contents into its underpacked box. (shockwearhouse.com) 
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.

burnyota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -36
  • Male Posts: 567
  • Member since Mar '04
    • View Profile
    • BURNYOTA
I have had good luck with the 5150's (14intravel) in the front, and the 5100's in the rear(same length). Work a hell of a lot better than the rs9000's :twocents:
85 p/u, marlin#208, built 22R on propane, old school longs, 5.29's / detroits, bobbed, chopped, and flopped

guywithuglyyota

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 212
  • Male Posts: 810
  • Member since Jul '04
  • F-22 Crew Chief
    • View Profile
You know I guess I should reconsider my statement, UPS can break ANYTHING, so what the hek, bilstein has yet to make a crappy shock absorber. ( distributor just had crappy packaging skills)
Comedy is the last refuge of the nonconformist mind.