Author Topic: Charge Problem  (Read 3116 times)

Toddstoys

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -3
  • Male Posts: 21
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
Charge Problem
« on: Aug 27, 2011, 10:34:46 AM »
I'm having a problem charging battery. I searched on the site and have seen similar problems but none like I'm having. I have a 82 toy 22r. when I start my truck I have to rev my engine to get it to start charging. I have replaced the alternator and regulator still I have the same problem. any suggestions will be appreciated. keep in mind with your replies I am a shade tree mechanic and old.  ::)
I'm no mechanic please have pity.
When life gives you lemons squirt them in life's eye's and kick it's butt while it can't see....

Tofudude

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -31
  • Member since Jun '10
    • View Profile
Re: Charge Problem
« Reply #1 on: Aug 27, 2011, 10:37:16 AM »
charge relay?

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 27, 2011, 11:06:56 AM »
charge relay?
I'm looking. under the dash driver side suppose to be. right? cause I cant seem to find it. I may have to take the dash back out. :(
When life gives you lemons squirt them in life's eye's and kick it's butt while it can't see....

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 27, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
ok I looked in my 81 and found my relay on the driver side but on my 82 I found the plug for the relay on the passenger side but no relay. can that be why I have to rev up my truck to get a charge and also I have another relay for my 81 will it work for my 82?
the truck should not charge at all without the relay right?
My 81 relay hooked up right but I have the same problem. :(
« Last Edit: Aug 27, 2011, 01:39:25 PM by Toddstoys »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Aug 27, 2011, 02:57:42 PM »
i am pretty sure the 81 and 82 relays are different.
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 27, 2011, 04:47:42 PM »
I looked it up relay fits 80-83 seems weard it charged at all without the relay.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 29, 2011, 01:14:20 PM »
I thought that relay only turned on the dummy light??? Mine stays on all the time and still charges....maybe that's a lie once in a blue moon I'll hit a bump and it will go out for about 2 minutes before clicking back on. I gotta 81 so circuit could be different I guess.

You got a good ground?

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 29, 2011, 02:03:42 PM »
well i searched on the board before I posted this and seen a post that said the relay had to send a sig back in order for it to charge but I searched again just now and found another post that said it was just for the light so im not sure now. its strange to me that i can turn on my interior light when I start the truck rev it up and see the light get bright. some times it dont work at all no matter how high i rev it up.  :headscratch:  dummy light has never came on.

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 29, 2011, 02:14:03 PM »
sounds like a bad ground, bad battery, or voltage regulator if the light brightens and dims. Do your headlights do this also?

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Aug 29, 2011, 02:37:49 PM »
yip the whole light system gets brighter after i rev it up. headlights, dash, running lights, K.C.'s everything but it dose not dim once it engages. ill check the ground again. battery huh? when its not charging seems like no time the battery is dead I didnt think fire should run it down so fast. can that do this you think? I replaced the regulator cause thats what I thought was doin this but same thing with the new one.
« Last Edit: Aug 29, 2011, 03:02:04 PM by Toddstoys »

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -7
  • Male Posts: 682
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Aug 29, 2011, 07:17:51 PM »
Start shaking wires also, try pulling your fuse , Clean the fuse prongs

Once upon a time , buddy of mine , went to the pick n pull
Got some parts, went to start the truck , no power ?

Trying fuse and batt , grounds  nothen
Thinking Mabe some one messed w the truck while we were in the yard
I got pissed and hit the drivers fender , bam  lights came on
Fired right up , but it was charge and then not charging
So got home , shaking wires found the weak link in the engine to cab connection
Fix all good.      Long story.     I hope somthin helps. 

jmac

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Aug 29, 2011, 11:11:54 PM »
Had to go out and get a few in me...finishing up my PhD right now and trying to get it in when I can. Santa cruz crawler may be right, but i'm more familiar with factory shorts on the 3rd gens; the earlier models don't have many wires pulling that much current as far as I know.....main links are battery, starter, alternator.  You did just mention KC's though....does it happen with them off?  The old ones pulled alot of juice.

Did you start from the beginning and check output from alternator and battery while running? Does battery loose juice after sitting a while with engine off? You may have to fish around with the voltmeter for awhile. I have also had a short in the fuse box of my 81 from some crappy homemade stereo wiring set up.

Check battery voltage at night and then again the next day and confirm there is no short first....then look at components. Also, old style headlights (which I assume you have) can do that dim and brighten thing for a long time before they blow completely.

Also, I would forget about the relay because there is no way the electrical system is set up so that if the dummy relay was screwed it would quit charging...and if you get brightening and dimming charging is happening.

You can also crank it up and start pulling fuses to check circuits for shorts, but I've never been that lucky as it really doesn't completely remove them from the system due to backfeeding.

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Aug 30, 2011, 10:33:07 AM »
Start shaking wires also, try pulling your fuse , Clean the fuse prongs
:smack: actually I bought the truck from a young dude that had a monster hole cut in the dash for a stereo. I replaced the dash with one out of my parts truck but didnt think to look at the wires. hummm I wonder..... ill pull the dash back out and look. tks santa.
ya jmac i tested the charge it was at 14 after i reved it up and got it to engage. K.C.'s are new and i unhooked them just to make sure they was not a problem. head lights are new hate to ol yellow lookin ones. I think ya'll are on to somethin tho theres no tellin what the dude hooked his stereo to and or may have fried.
putting a new clutch in tomorrow ill check after its done. ty dudes...
« Last Edit: Aug 30, 2011, 10:43:49 AM by Toddstoys »

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Aug 30, 2011, 05:53:19 PM »
Nice!

BHT12

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 30
  • Male Posts: 376
  • Member since Jan '10
  • Toyota Addict.
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Aug 31, 2011, 02:36:12 PM »
its gotta be a bad conection or wire. or the kid fried something because you have replaced everything else.
1984 4runner. Trailgear fronts, custom backs with shackles, 36 iroks, hi steer, hybrid 20+22r motor, full exhaust, lowsy weber, power everything, rear heat, power Antena,  sr5, altimeter,  back seat eliminator, tube bumper

1981 2wd long bed parts getter. All stock, sr5

1983 Toyota Sandtana Motorhome 4x4 Stock.

RainierToy

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 49
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Aug 31, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »
on my truck it was just a bad ground from the engine to the cab.. the cab wasnt grounded good enough.. but by the time i figured that out i had already ditched all the toyota alternator and voltage regulator and went with a gm 1-wire alternator twice the amps and is the the same price as a new toyota alternator and voltage regulator put toghether... good luck i hate electrical gremlins!! haha
Party

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sep 02, 2011, 03:50:37 PM »
cleaned and rehooked all grounds. took my dash out and looked at all the wires "one by one  :eek: " in the harness found a few splices and reconnected them. cleaned my fuse box. still the same thing. tho for some reason I dont have to rev it near as high to get the alternator to kick in. I did notice that about ever 4th start my battery was dead. I know it was usein the battery for fire but seemed awful fast discharge. if I have a bad battery can it cause it to act like this? should I try another regulator? maybe I got a bad one but the odds of it doin the same as the one I replaced is minimal huh?  can I run a charge wire direct from the alternator to the battery and bypass through the cab? I guess if all else fails I can put my wire harness out of my parts truck in it.  :help:

rock-smasher

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sep 04, 2011, 07:10:27 AM »
sounds like the trigger wire  isn't in gauging the brushes  or the stator is on its way out.  if u have changed  the regulator  or a harness wiring problem :_order:

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Sep 14, 2011, 07:36:53 AM »
Dose anyone know how to run a new charge wire from my regulator directly to my battery and what wires to hook to coming out of it? I have looked over everything and cant find the problem. all my lights work so its got to be some were in the charge wire sense charging is the only problem I am having. Thanks for the help everyone this problem is blowing my mind.

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sep 14, 2011, 08:21:42 AM »
Gm 2 wires , be done!

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sep 19, 2011, 11:41:08 AM »
I would like to go to the gm alt. but I have a new problem my charge and brake light's are coming on now so im sure its in my wire harness. my truck is an 82 but I have a 81 parts truck will the harness out of it work for my 82? I know the fuse box is the old tube type vs prong type but is there any other differences anyone knows of?

santa cruz crawler

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Aug '10
  • Get Some
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sep 19, 2011, 07:13:26 PM »
Yeah there different , Mabe the light went out and it's stuck on!
Or take it to an electrical guru , let him no what you have tried so he doesn't rob you $$
Should not take any time at all , bring a wire diagram.

Toddstoys [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sep 20, 2011, 11:30:27 AM »
guess im goin to have to take it to someone cause check this out, last night I went to hit my dim lights and pulled back the wiper side by accident and my head lights went out. let off it and they came back on.  :hammerhead: freakin crazy..... must be something in my column bad too. :bull crap:

junya92toy

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: -64
  • Male Posts: 1,500
  • Member since Nov '04
  • Drinking me beer
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sep 20, 2011, 07:22:43 PM »
Combo switches do go bad.
Dr.Maxwe001 – well i have a 15 gal compressor now and if I gett he 60  and then use the 15 as a reserve that wil give me 75 gal  thats close to 80 isnt it ?

gtoyonrocks

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 977
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sep 20, 2011, 07:25:55 PM »
put a newer style altenator in it.
1985 toy, Hybrid 20r/22r on propane, 30splines, custom built leaf packs, welded front and rear diffs, dual ultimate crawler, full hydro, full exo, flat bed, 37' mtrs