Author Topic: 22rte questions  (Read 2539 times)

lone walker

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 607
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
22rte questions
« on: May 06, 2011, 04:21:55 PM »
Thinking it over, advice will be thankful.

Buddy of mine have a automatic 22rte long block. I want to get it but ran to issue.

- how much harder is it to convert automatic to standard?
- automatic engine harness is the same for standard engine harness for ecu swap?
Going, going, gone

superyota

• Prestige Worldwide
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 71
  • Male Posts: 3,362
  • Member since Oct '05
  • what happened?
    • View Profile
    • Placer County Crawlers
Re: 22rte questions
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2011, 04:25:41 PM »
Thinking it over, advice will be thankful.

Buddy of mine have a automatic 22rte long block. I want to get it but ran to issue.

- how much harder is it to convert automatic to standard?
- automatic engine harness is the same for standard engine harness for ecu swap?
auto has more wires that go back to the tranny.  it will work though with little modification.  i swapped my 22r manual harness for a 22re auto harness and with a little cutting, it works great.
ABD Motorsports

If you can't convince them, confuse them.
Placer County Crawlers - President 2011-2016
www.placercountycrawlers.com

Rubicon Trail Foundation - Property Committee member
Friends of Fordyce - Board Member
KK6QDW

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2011, 09:22:47 PM »
First of all what condition is the 22RTE in?

The reason I ask, is I have a truck that came with the turbo motor, that needed a complete rebuild, but I swapped it out for a 22RE.  For the simple reason that the CT20 turbo was a poor turbo.  And a replacement was anywhere from $500 to $1500 just for a good quality CT20.  The CT26 was a better one.  But its not a direct replacement, and you would have to manufacture your own piping.  And another thing is the turbo kicks in around 2800 to 3000 rpms.  Unless you modify it to spool up faster.  Most of my driving right now without the turbo, is around 2500 or less.  But if I get on it, I would use the turbo for a few seconds before you would shift and drop rpms.  There are a few people on here that have had no issues with the 22rte motor, but you have to know how to drive a turbo to make them last. 

If your looking for a kick ass motor that would be more reliable, I'd go with a good lower end, with a Engnbldr head that has been opened up, cammed, and with larger valves.  Clean up your intake and port and polish the ports, and get a header and a 2.25" free flowing exhaust.  It won't give you the 140hp snap when the turbo kicks in, but you will get at least a good 125+hp over the 110hp stock.  And it will be throughout the entire rpm range.  Which is more reliable than turbo. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

lone walker [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -26
  • Male Posts: 607
  • Member since Oct '09
  • we're there!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2011, 11:24:23 PM »
will the harness be the same? from auto to standard?
Going, going, gone

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2011, 04:24:33 AM »
The 22rte is pretty much like Cheesy says, I will add one thing though at freeway speeds a turbo has more power than the 3.0, I had to take someone on a parts run once to Bakersfield down the Grapevine and he couldn't believe how much more power my turbo had going up the Grapevine on the way back easily cruising at 70mph+. On the down side it sucks at slow speed since it has less compression and the turbo is pretty much idle, I had several hill climbs that it just ran out of power and actually came to a stop with my foot to the floor, of course it was an auto too.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1363
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2011, 06:33:15 AM »
will the harness be the same? from auto to standard?

Different.  Your gonna need one for a manual tranny.  Plus, does he have the ECM that goes to it?  
And according to the FSM, I should have found some sensors/relays that pertains to the turbo pressure in the intake, but I never found any of that on my truck.

Another thing, the FSM said all the wires that run the coil on a 22RE should be ran from the harness on the drivers side, but my 22RTE harness had it coming from the ECM harness, and draped over the turbo.  And had fried.  So, I spliced and ran it up and around the engine compartment to the coil.
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

camogonewild

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2011, 07:03:05 AM »
where does an what does the coil look like on the turbos im in the process of swaping my carb truck to turbo efi

TURBO

• Turbo Extremist
  • Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 65475
  • Male Posts: 706
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Capt. Insaino shows no mercy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2011, 03:00:33 AM »
do not touch any of the wires... when i converted my 3.0 auto to a manual trans, i just had to fool the ECT to think it was in neutral all the time and that's it... it's better to use a harness out of a manual, but an auto harness will work if you keep all the components... on caboos's truck, we tried eliminating the ECT... DONT!!!! there are a crap load of wires and some colors are repeated others change colors...they are very easy to confuse... i could probly actualy do itif i tryed agin, and paied really close atention but i dont recomend that headach to any one else.... stisk to a manual harness or if you have to, use the auto harness just dont mess withany of the wires.....on caboos's truck i wound up wasting 2 decent harnesses and had to use one of my own...
MY BUILDS: http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=76463.0 :woohoo:

More than tread lightly, leave it like you were never there, nor anyone else.
I AM :screwy:!!!

"These dusty roads ain't streets of gold
But I'm a happy right where I'm at"

Marlin is like the Chuck Norris of the rock crawling world. 

camogonewild

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2011, 10:40:48 AM »
in my conversion im using an auto harness what do i need 2 do to full the comp. to think its out of gear

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2011, 11:30:03 AM »
in my conversion im using an auto harness what do i need 2 do to full the comp. to think its out of gear

start your own thread and not thread jack someone elses
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

camogonewild

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2011, 05:55:36 PM »
SRY sounded 2 me like some simaliar  questions was gonna be asked an that topic was brought up just curious for my own darn self am maybe the topic writer 2 if he uses the auto harness like i am aint jacking just asking for revious post if it goes that far why waste space for a question that can be asked here an be helped by others that read this duhrrr  8)

pumkin toy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since Sep '05
  • Do You Know A Sweeney Bro?
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2011, 06:25:32 PM »
SRY sounded 2 me like some simaliar  questions was gonna be asked an that topic was brought up just curious for my own darn self am maybe the topic writer 2 if he uses the auto harness like i am aint jacking just asking for revious post if it goes that far why waste space for a question that can be asked here an be helped by others that read this duhrrr  8)
whoa dude!  start using periods and punctuation so your words make sense together!
97 4runner Limited
4runner Build Thread http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=54076.1410#lastPost

Started my own fab business recently check out the website  www.c4fabrication.com

also follow C4Fab on facebook for regular updates on projects. http://www.facebook.com/pages/C4-Fabrication/454285357953823

sailsdan30

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -5
  • Member since May '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jun 11, 2011, 09:24:53 PM »
haha

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #13 on: Jun 11, 2011, 10:22:29 PM »
:punish:
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

SNOW WALKER

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 172
  • Member since Dec '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jul 09, 2011, 07:34:58 PM »
If you are putting that turbo motor in an EFI truck all you need to do is run high octane fuel to keep that dreaded pinging at bay. Or for high boost run an MSD timing retard box. The turbo ecu retards the timing. Make sure your running the turbo injectors. I would also install new head bolts or ARP studs and a new head gasket. You will love the power. Don't listen to the other people who say these motors have no low end power because there wrong. My fresh turbo motor has more bottom end off boost than my old fresh 22re did. I'm running 16lbs of boost and she rocks! How ever I did install eagle rods and forged pistons and moly rings. All balanced and blue printed.

As for the trans it's easy there is a switch for park I believe that needs to be wired so it's open and the starter will crank. My brother in law did a swap a few years back but he can't remember exactly how he wired it up.

also 22rtetrucks.com is a great forum for more info. Jeff and some of the other guys are awesome and will help you out.
« Last Edit: Jul 09, 2011, 07:42:39 PM by SNOW WALKER »
1986 4Runner turbo sas high pinion,E-locked 4:88's,taco rear Detroit locker,22ret forged everything,
duels mc07-r10 cut 42's.