Author Topic: LED headlights for our rigs!  (Read 12059 times)

helipilot77

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1018
  • Male Posts: 1,729
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
LED headlights for our rigs!
« on: Dec 19, 2012, 01:26:33 PM »
I have been waiting for someone to come out with a drop in LED headlight replacement that is DOT approved. finally someone had done it. They are expensive but the results are amazing! First gen guys they haven't forgotten about you. In fact they developed the round version first, then developed the 5"X7". Tell me what you think. I may have to get some considering half the driving I do is in the dark. Although they are quite expensive, I probably wouldn't spring for the $500 price if it wasn't my D.D. I "borrowed" these pics from the North American XJ Association forum. They show the lighting output compared to a halogen beam. Pretty impressive. At low beam these will draw a mere 1.8 amps while at full high beam they draw only 3.6 amps. I think these numbers may for each lamp. But still! pretty low draw for that kind of output, and the life expectancy of LED's is usually in 50,000 hour range. 
-1987 SR5 4runner, 1KZ-t turbo diesel with mech. pump
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird
-My front axle service write-up http://board.marlincrawler.com/i

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: -415
  • Male Posts: 4,823
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
Re: LED headlights for our rigs!
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2012, 01:45:29 PM »
I so going LED, ive been waiting on led headlights.

Sent from the HO KID network using Tapatalk 2
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

2010 Chevy Tahoe LT Wife's Daily
5.3L V8, 6in Lift, 35s, AMP power steps

2016 Ford F250 XLT CCLB Work/Business Truck
6.2L V8

2001 Ford F350 Lariat CCLB Work/Business Truck
7.3L Powerstroke w/ Banks Turbo

Instagram @ taytershubby13

Royota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 127
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Just to clarify, where can we buy these? And for sake of shop loyalty... hey BigMike- you want to order a few sets so we can buy them from you or Marlin? Ya? :}
May Bobby Long be forever immortalized in his work and deeds to the Toyota 4x4 community. Because of a select few including this wonderful man, none of us have to drive Jeeps. He will be missed.

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #3 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
I have been waiting for someone to come out with a drop in LED headlight replacement that is DOT approved. finally someone had done it. They are expensive but the results are amazing! First gen guys they haven't forgotten about you. In fact they developed the round version first, then developed the 5"X7". Tell me what you think. I may have to get some considering half the driving I do is in the dark. Although they are quite expensive, I probably wouldn't spring for the $500 price if it wasn't my D.D. I "borrowed" these pics from the North American XJ Association forum. They show the lighting output compared to a halogen beam. Pretty impressive. At low beam these will draw a mere 1.8 amps while at full high beam they draw only 3.6 amps. I think these numbers may for each lamp. But still! pretty low draw for that kind of output, and the life expectancy of LED's is usually in 50,000 hour range. 

Um idk where you gathered the $500 price tag but on their site they list them at $279

http://www.tlg-auto.com/Truck_Lite_7x6_Reflector_LED_Headlight_p/5017606.htm
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily
5.3L V8, 3.5in Lift, 33X10.5R18 Toyo MTs, Vision Rocker 18x9s powdercoated Mountain Blue Transparent over Speedboat Aluminum

6.2L V8

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 608
  • Member since Feb '12
  • Wonsyld/Leard Built Fab
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:50:10 PM »
Um idk where you gathered the $500 price tag but on their site they list them at $279

http://www.tlg-auto.com/Truck_Lite_7x6_Reflector_LED_Headlight_p/5017606.htm

This is the new LED headlight from Truck-Lite. It features a 1.2amperage current draw and a 45 degree light output. More light and less power consumption than the old style. They call this one the Phase 7 LED housing that uses a reflector instead of just a wall of LEDs.

This headlight will replace any sealed beam 7x6" rectangular (or sometimes called 200mm or 5x7") style lamp housing. Each LED light is a dual beam system with both high beam and low beam.

This light will replace any 5x7" H6054 style light. Sold Individually.

These LED headlights are sold individually and with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty.

Long-lasting LEDs mean never having to replace another bulb!
Hard Coated Polycarbonate Lens
Anodized Aluminum Housing
Metalized Reflector
Encapsulated Circuitry
Uses 2 Light Emitting Diodes (LEDs) inside a reflector housing
3-year limited warranty

(I copied that directly from the website you posted above)   Read what it says in the middle of that listing the lights are sold individually $279 x 2 =  $558

THK Matt

• 96ZJ v8
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a drink
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:52:04 PM »

This is the new LED headlight from Truck-Lite. It features a 1.2amperage current draw and a 45 degree light output. More light and less power consumption than the old style. They call this one the Phase 7 LED housing that uses a reflector instead of just a wall of LEDs.

This headlight will replace any sealed beam 7x6" rectangular (or sometimes called 200mm or 5x7") style lamp housing. Each LED light is a dual beam system with both high beam and low beam.

These LED headlights are sold individually and with a 3 year manufacturer's warranty.

Metalized Reflector
Encapsulated Circuitry
3-year limited warranty

(I copied that directly from the website you posted above)   Read what it says in the middle of that listing the lights are sold individually $279 x 2 =  $558

oh ouch. damn thats expensive
2007 GMC Yukon SLT Daily

6.2L V8

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2012, 03:53:02 PM »
To rich for my blood.

yotacrawler1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '11
  • 1985, on wontons
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:27:18 PM »
same lol.

yotacrawler1

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 259
  • Member since Sep '11
  • 1985, on wontons
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:27:35 PM »
they seem better then HIDS though

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:38:56 PM »
they look cool, but i don't know about $550 for a pair of lights......
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Royota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
X2 on the pair. If they were maybe $100 a pair I could justify them...
May Bobby Long be forever immortalized in his work and deeds to the Toyota 4x4 community. Because of a select few including this wonderful man, none of us have to drive Jeeps. He will be missed.

86bobbedtoy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:44:54 PM »
Id pay 200 a pair
the chinese will have them out for 20 each in a bit

helipilot77 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #12 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:54:55 PM »

Metalized Reflector
Encapsulated Circuitry
3-year limited warranty

4wheel parts is selling a pair of the rectangular lights for $489.99. If you add tax then your price is correct. But they do ship for free. It is alot of money but as Brian Regan said... "How can instantly improved vision not be at the top of your to-do list?" Big Mike, if you guys sold them I would buy them from you. I somehow doubt that you will start to carry a product that is already so widely available.
 & custom 3" S.S. dump pipe, R-151f transmission, marlin dual ultimate transfer cases w/ triple shifter, SAS, 35's https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=98969.0
-1984 SR5 Tercel 4wd wagon bone stock - given to my nephew https://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=100547.0
-1:10 scale RC 4wd crawler w/yota axles, R2 2 speed enclosed dig tranny and 1st gen 4Runner body by BigBird

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:14:48 PM »
i can buy an auxillary set of hella 500's for $60

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

helipilot77 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #14 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:21:22 PM »
Id pay 200 a pair
the chinese will have them out for 20 each in a bit
Do you really want to support the Chinese manufacturers or do you want to continue to let our nation drowned? Think about where you spend your money and why. I'm sure china (Trail Gear)could make knock-off marlin gear for 75% less but I wouldn't touch it. I proud of my marlin gear because they proudly say made in the USA. If you want to buy some. Cheap Chinese made LED headlights that will last you 5% of the lifetime that they should, then go ahead. But I will save up my money to buy these obviously superior headlights.

Vang530

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '12
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Dec 19, 2012, 10:14:27 PM »
and i just got my roundeyes last week...o well im satisfied with them
Oroville, CA

nisota

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Feb '12
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:31:29 PM »
4wheel parts is selling a pair of the rectangular lights for $489.99. If you add tax then your price is correct. But they do ship for free. It is alot of money but as Brian Regan said... "How can instantly improved vision not be at the top of your to-do list?" Big Mike, if you guys sold them I would buy them from you. I somehow doubt that you will start to carry a product that is already so widely available.

I don't understand what you're saying I didn't add any tax or shipping to the price I came up with I pulled that directly off there website.  But I do agree with you support AMERICAN made, NOT china.

jimbo74

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:39:51 PM »
Honestly, american made is a scam now anyways.... look where the us gov buys stuff.... yup. Not the us..... look at where toyotas are made. Yup the us. Look where dodge, ford and chevy are made. Not the us..............

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Royota

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Aug '12
  • Pacific Northwest 4x4
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:43:56 PM »
Do you really want to support the Chinese manufacturers or do you want to continue to let our nation drowned? Think about where you spend your money and why. I'm sure china (Trail Gear)could make knock-off marlin gear for 75% less but I wouldn't touch it. I proud of my marlin gear because they proudly say made in the USA. If you want to buy some. Cheap Chinese made LED headlights that will last you 5% of the lifetime that they should, then go ahead. But I will save up my money to buy these obviously superior headlights.

Im proud of my made in the USA gear!!!!

That I bolt on my Japanese truck!

With Chinese tools!

Haha its ok I agree completely i'm just giving you crap. Made in USA pride spiels on a.... Toyota forum... sorry dude hah

Nothing is made where it is supposed to be anymore

Marlin Crawler is one of the only real all American made in the USA organizations left. So support Marlin and BigMike- not Ford. Hecho in the same place as your algadon t-shirts Holmes.

helipilot77 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #19 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:58:24 AM »
I agree. You have to research your products and find out exactly where they are manufactured. The made in USA label does make it easier though. Thanks marlin!

helipilot77 [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Jul '12
  • Seattle, WA
    • View Profile
    • My build thread
« Reply #20 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:02:53 AM »
Also just for clarity these are made by truck lite. The web site says they are available at my local Napa autoparts.

86bobbedtoy

• Turtle Points: 686
  • Male Posts: 3,938
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:17:38 AM »

Ok Mr America
did I say I would buy the imported ones? no
so think before you speak.
personally I like peace of mind with my parts.
I might would buy imported ones later down the line if they have a good name and the usa ones dont come down in price.
if the world was perfect we would keep all our money here, but its not, look you drive a toyota, so do I
so dont get all captain america on me, go jerk you got some stupid in there

Cheesemaker

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1346
  • Male Posts: 4,525
  • Member since Sep '04
  • Dean Tyler, you were an inspiration to all!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2012, 07:44:04 AM »
I for one love the old stock style lights.  If you need more light, turn on a aftermarket set.  Drawing too much amps, go GM alt. 

The reason I say this, is I really hate the HID, projection, and LED lights vehicles are using these days.  Yeah, they might help you see at night, but what about the oncoming traffic?  I hate it when I can't see at night because every new car has these projection lamps, or the tuner kids that upgrade their lights and it makes it hard for me to see at night.  You might as well strap on a pair of KC Daylighters on your new Lexus, cause thats what its like for me. 
Miss ya Dean (4THEWKN) & Kyle (KYOTA)!!

4THEWKN~9/17/2006  If it wasn't for you, I'd be driving something other than a Toyota!

My build up ~ project Kilchis! http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=32961.0
Zak's truck build ~ http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=64319.0;topicseen

H8PVMNT

• Turtle Points: 452
  • Male Posts: 3,554
  • Member since May '07
  • I'LL NEVER MAKE IT...
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Dec 20, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
I couldn't agree more...

I for one love the old stock style lights.  If you need more light, turn on a aftermarket set.  Drawing too much amps, go GM alt. 

The reason I say this, is I really hate the HID, projection, and LED lights vehicles are using these days.  Yeah, they might help you see at night, but what about the oncoming traffic?  I hate it when I can't see at night because every new car has these projection lamps, or the tuner kids that upgrade their lights and it makes it hard for me to see at night.  You might as well strap on a pair of KC Daylighters on your new Lexus, cause thats what its like for me. 

“I would rather wake up in the middle of nowhere than in any city on earth.”
– Steve McQueen

"Except for maybe Seattle."  -H8PVMNT

"I plan to hit 300k in this truck"  :)bestgen4runner

"I'm jealous of your shop. It has concrete and doesn't smell like pickles like the old shop  "  300K

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #24 on: Dec 20, 2012, 06:40:57 PM »
and i just got my roundeyes last week...o well im satisfied with them

I'm happy with mine
Time to go wheelin!

80hilux4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:35:23 PM »

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Dec 20, 2012, 09:16:20 PM »
http://www.davezoffroadperformance.com/store/headlight-kit-by-delta.html
Found these. Delta i belive. Anyone used them??
I'm not familiar with that brand...  for that kind of money I'd stick with a known name like Hella, which has a great reputation for high quality products. And they are actually a bit cheaper with a standard Hella bulb, which is very effective. Here's one source: http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=350 (no affiliation)

Oh btw whatever you get, please don't get blue bulbs. Not just because of the glare towards oncoming drivers, but because they don't work well at all. It's extremely hard to see anything at night with them. They block all the visible light except blue.... very bad.

My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

80hilux4x4

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '11
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:14:56 PM »
Ya hate the blue myself also just seen them while browsing didn't know of any other round 80 head lighting options till these two