Author Topic: Rear disks  (Read 2915 times)

Nimyad

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
Rear disks
« on: Dec 22, 2010, 05:36:00 PM »
Alright so i'm putting my front rotors and calipers on my rear ifs width axle. So i now you have to get rid of the lspv (think that's what it's called) but i havn't really looked for it. So where is it exactly and what needs to be done to eliminate it?

4RunnerChevy

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 1,426
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Santa Cruz Mountains
    • View Profile
    • Santa Cruz Wheelers
Re: Rear disks
« Reply #1 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:19:16 PM »
I imagine you can just pull the lever all the way up and tie it there.  If not cap the T, and get a prop. valve, so you can adjust it.

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #2 on: Dec 22, 2010, 06:40:24 PM »
Im getting the master cylinder with the proportioning valve in it

erickalfaro

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 05, 2011, 02:23:13 PM »
dude no bs i just got done doing the rear disc swap on my 79 toy 4x4.  Ill tell you that if your lsvp is not leaking just cut the metal bar coming off of it, make some sort of braket to keep it stable up and just keep it in your system.  i used the elvota writeup on pirate 4x4 and im loving it.  dont buy the blue or chrome adaptors dude i didnt need them... it was a waste of $36.00. if youre upgrading to steel braided lines now is the time. if not do what i did and buy some already made lines from advanceautoparts and you will be ok.  use the fittings that come with the aftermarket summit lsvp.  if you do not keep the oem lsvp then your rear wheels will lock up first no matter what...

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 05, 2011, 09:23:08 PM »
Im getting the master cylinder with the proportioning valve in it
Some of the MC's come with residual valves, but I have never heard of one with a proportioning valve. Who or where are you getting it from?

use the fittings that come with the aftermarket summit lsvp. 

The aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve from Summit (I have one) has NPT threads the threads on Toyotas are Metric P.T. while they are very close they are not the same. That is the reason for the adapters. The adapters have the correct T.P.I. (Threads Per Inch)and thread pitch. This is your brakeing system that is under very high pressure. Your life and other peoples depend on your brakes, do not cut corners.
« Last Edit: Jan 05, 2011, 09:33:20 PM by OOPS »
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #5 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:16:13 PM »
Im getting it from marlin, it's in the brake kit #1 and it's meant for running 4 wheel disk breaks, pretty sure it says it has a proportioning valve in it

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #6 on: Jan 06, 2011, 06:21:29 PM »
Ya its a residual valve, so then can i just leave my lspv in place with the rear disks???

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 83
  • Male Posts: 300
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:39:46 AM »
This is interesting.  Is there a build up thread of doing this swap?  I know there are kits say from all pro that have new rotars with GM metric calipers.  the conversion kit is expensive, it sounds like this method is much cheaper. 

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 14, 2011, 10:40:12 AM »
Oh and what about a parking break?

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #9 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:11:50 AM »
Well i was planning on running a line lock but my trucks stolen so i have all the stuff to have a disked 86 rear axle but nothing to put it in at the moment. I'll do a buildup on it if i get another truck that isn't a tacoma.

mudmaster

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 3715
  • Male Posts: 2,854
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #10 on: Jan 14, 2011, 11:12:57 AM »
[The aftermarket adjustable proportioning valve from Summit (I have one) has NPT threads the threads on Toyotas are Metric P.T. while they are very close they are not the same. That is the reason for the adapters. The adapters have the correct T.P.I. (Threads Per Inch)and thread pitch. This is your brakeing system that is under very high pressure. Your life and other peoples depend on your brakes, do not cut corners.
[/quote]

For this I cut the line and put on a NPT fitting and double flared it myself. Works great and no leaks.
Time to go wheelin!

jrock

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 3,395
  • Member since Oct '06
  • Oodelally
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 14, 2011, 02:03:26 PM »
Well i was planning on running a line lock but my trucks stolen so i have all the stuff to have a disked 86 rear axle but nothing to put it in at the moment. I'll do a buildup on it if i get another truck that isn't a tacoma.
I hope you get your truck back. Sucks ba!!s.

I did the Summit valve kit thru Front Range but I tweaked with it a bit.
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=57178.90

theslayer85

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2011, 08:50:18 AM »
dude no bs i just got done doing the rear disc swap on my 79 toy 4x4.  Ill tell you that if your lsvp is not leaking just cut the metal bar coming off of it, make some sort of braket to keep it stable up and just keep it in your system.  i used the elvota writeup on pirate 4x4 and im loving it.  dont buy the blue or chrome adaptors dude i didnt need them... it was a waste of $36.00. if youre upgrading to steel braided lines now is the time. if not do what i did and buy some already made lines from advanceautoparts and you will be ok.  use the fittings that come with the aftermarket summit lsvp.  if you do not keep the oem lsvp then your rear wheels will lock up first no matter what...

So where did you get the information from to do this swap.  I am very intreged in doing this to my rig.  It looks like nimyad's avatar picture and your year that this was done on 1st gen trucks.  Will the swap work on an 85 4runner? oh and i tried searching for the write up on pirate 4x4 you meintioned but i cant find it. 
« Last Edit: Jan 17, 2011, 10:09:34 AM by theslayer85 »

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2011, 09:11:23 AM »
Well i'm going to do the swap on a 94 now, picking it up on tuesday. But nobody has answered this, can i keep the lspv and not run a proportioning valve with the disks? Or do i have to run the propprtioning valve no matter what?

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:08:50 PM »
i would guess you could try to tune the proportion with the stock lspv im going to try this today with my rear disks but i used the chevy stuff. i still want to get an adjustable one when i can i dont have another 100 dollars right now or i would buy it from davezoffroadperformance.com his kit bolts right in and has the resdual valve as well. i looked up the prices on summit and after both valves and all adapters its the same price as he is selling it for.
81 swb 22re 35's

Nimyad [OP]

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Member since Sep '10
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a cigar
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2011, 12:59:03 PM »
Ya i have the residual in the master cylinder im getting and then the stock lspv so i'll just have to mess with it and tune it so the rear doesn't lock up first i guess

81yotalove

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 310
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Jan 18, 2011, 06:46:15 AM »
well i yesterday i used the stock lspv with my rear chevy disks. my results show a firm pedal either tied up or down. tied down the rear brakes weren't doing much but when tied up the brakes barely lockup on pavement if i slam on them. but remember i have a firstgen lspv that doesn't have a bleeder or that line that goes to the t by the front right caliper. im guessing that makes a difference. for what its worth my setup is ifs calipers up front, monte carlo calipers out back with a v6 master cylinder and stock single diaphram first gen booster. i could not be more happy with the setup. if/when the stock lspv goes i will just get an adjustable one but for now it is working great.
81 swb 22re 35's