Author Topic: stalling problem  (Read 1750 times)

pc100

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
stalling problem
« on: Dec 29, 2004, 04:49:38 PM »
i have a 22re in a 90 4x4 it was running fine an it started having problems after it warmed up ,if id shut it down an restart it it would  stall like it was running out of gas  but would clear up . now its to the point it wont take any  throttle  just bogs  but whats got me is it will rev an start good  when its cold  for about 3 minuites  . i cleaned my throttle body an pentium replaced gaskets tried different injectors replaced seals on injector missed with the tps  fuel filter  etc  even tried a differnt mass air  an still same problem  sprayed a sh   t  load of carb cleaner trying to find a vacum leak  when i spray down in front of the air box it will pick up the carb cleaner an run fine for a minuite  a long as you keep spraying

Mike D

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 122
  • Male Posts: 1,902
  • Member since Jun '04
  • MMMMMMMMMM........
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
Re: stalling problem
« Reply #1 on: Dec 29, 2004, 08:53:41 PM »
did you re-seal the air box when you messed around with the mass air flow sensor
87 runner, 4" trailmaster lift, 33" TSL/SX, 5.29's V6 e-locker, 22re that cost too much

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2004, 09:14:32 PM »
The part about it running fine on carb cleaner sounds like its starved for fuel.  Sounds like maybe the fuel pump is getting hot and siezing.  Have you checked fuel pressure while the engine is running and as it stalls?  Theres a check valve in the pump that is supposed to hold working pressure on the line for a certain time after the engine is shut off to prevent the line from draining.  ( I think its like 15 minutes...)  If pressure drops to zero, that check valve is bad and the pump may be siezing.  This usually happens when the tank is repeatedly run to very empty.  The fuel pump depends on the insulating effect of a tank full of fuel to keep it cool.  When people run the tank to the bottom every time, over the years the heat takes its toll on the pump and eventually it dies prematurely.  I always try not to go below 1/4 tank...

Ok, Im of my  :soapbox:  now.  Check your pressure and see whats going on...

HTH,
Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo

superbrainlessfool

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2004, 09:20:05 AM »
as I was reading this my frist thought was fuel pump gone. then I see rekland5 beat me to it. I'd check that frist. good luck   :thumbs:

FATB0Y

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Male Posts: 2,803
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • fatboy on my space.com
« Reply #4 on: Dec 30, 2004, 10:11:14 AM »
as I was reading this my frist thought was fuel pump gone. then I see rekland5 beat me to it. I'd check that frist. good luck :thumbs:
That's what I was thinkin'...or bad fuel filter and you need 2 check  PCV (little black do-hicky)on the valve cover to make sure it is working if it is sticking don't wash it out get a new one there only a few bucks :yupyup:

pc100 [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Dec '04
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:03:22 PM »
what is the easiest way  to check the fuel pressure , do i have to cut the line going to the fuel rail  to insert the guage , i hate to go out an spend 40 + $ for a guage , an if i do have a bad pump do i need to replace the sock  an  is there a better pump than other

reklund5

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 286
  • Male Posts: 1,263
  • Member since Nov '03
  • I love my Marlin Crawler!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Dec 30, 2004, 06:10:06 PM »
You can use a proper fuel pressure guage and an adaptor and longer bolt to stack on the cold start injector line where it connects to the cold start injector with a banjo fitting.  That spot is readily available on the upper intake manifold and provides a perfectly accurate fuel pressure reading.  I know spending the dough on a guage sucks, do you have any mechanic friends that may be able to help you out?  I'm just afraid that if you take it somewhere and pay for a FP reading, they're gonna automatically tell you its low and you need a new pump.  Unfortuneately you pretty much need a guage to read the PRESSURE DROP as the engine stalls.  Simply loosening that line will definitely reveal fuel flow (as long as the pump is running) but you won't be able to tell the pressure.  And you'll get fuel all over everywhere.

Good Luck!
Ryan
'84 Hilux, locked, dual-cased, winched, EFI converted, 37" tired, half-doored (in the summer...)
'87 Supra, 400 HP.  smooth as glass at 130 'cause my tires are NEW!...
'92 F250 Diesel, tow rig, ATS Turbo, leveling kit, killer stereo