Author Topic: Quick battery cable question  (Read 2421 times)

Larryb

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 206
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
Quick battery cable question
« on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:11:05 PM »
I am still fairly new to the whole toyota(former jeep guy) scene and wanted be sure my negative battery cable is routed properly. The cable goes from the negative side of the battery and bolts directly to the body a few inches away, is this correct?? I dont think i have ever seen a negative battery cable attached to the body directly from the battery, usually to the engine or frame. Forgot to mention it is a 85 fuel injected 4runner.

2manytoys

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 490
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Nov '09
    • View Profile
Re: Quick battery cable question
« Reply #1 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:22:00 PM »
The negative cable is usually a fat heavy gauge wire to the side of the block.

Some of the stock cables also had a small gauge wire off the battery terminal that connected to the body sheet metal right next to the battery.

There should also be a ground wire from the back of the head to the body. The alternator also has a ground to the block.

88 Pickup SAS'd, 3.4 V6, R151F Hybrid, Dual Ultimate, Triple sticks, 35's, 5.29's, HP front, V6 rear, Aussies, 63" Chevs, Anti Wrap Bar, Warn 8274 on Home Built Bumper

4WU linked 86 Xtra Cab build in progress

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »
yup that is the correct oem location
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 120
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:34:00 PM »
It would be a good idea to add a ground wire from the battery to the engine block.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2010, 09:40:35 PM »
there should already be a groung from the bat to block
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:27:59 PM »
there should already be a groung from the bat to block

Your right there should be, but he said that his ground went from the battery to the inner fender only, that why i said he should add a ground from the battery to the engine block.
86 4Runner
Solid Axle Swap, 5'' Of Lift, 37x12.50-15 MTR Tires, 5 Speed Manual Swap, Inchworm Duel Cases With 5.7 Gears, 63'' Chevy Springs In The Rear, 5''Trail Gear Springs In Front, Marlin Crawler Third Members, 4.88 Gears With A Detroit In The Rear, High Pinion Front With 4.88 Gears and an ARB, Downey Header, Optima Battery, Trail Gear Sliders.

Larryb [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:48:54 AM »
The neg cable runs directly to the inner fender. There is a ground on lower inner fender that runs to the engine block. I need new battery cables anyway, just trying to figure out where everything goes or will work the best.
« Last Edit: Jan 23, 2010, 04:20:10 PM by Larryb »

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2010, 06:56:16 PM »
The neg cable runs directly to the inner fender. There is a ground on lower inner fender that runs to the engine block. I need new battery cables anyway, just trying to figure out where everything goes or will work the best.

Go from the battery to the inner fender and from the battery to the engine block.
86 4Runner

Larryb [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2010, 07:45:41 PM »
Will do on the neg cable to the body and engine block.

Is there also a ground that runs from the frame to the engine block or frame to the body? I need to investigate that one a bit further but did not notice anything earlier today. I am redoing all my cables in the next few days with some good heavy duty stuff. If anyone knows of any other tips and tricks i am all ears. Thanks

yotaneck13

• Mr. Right NOW
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -52
  • Male Posts: 2,300
  • Member since Nov '09
  • MR. RIGHT NOW
    • View Profile
    • Right Now Racing and Fabrication
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2010, 08:31:24 PM »
oic i miss read his reply my bad i thought he was asking what to look for my bad
RNR FABRICATION ON THE EAST COAST!!! rightnowracingfabrication@gmail.com (814)-516-5176 like us on facebook www.facebook.com/rnrfab
R.I.P Derek James Black 1995-2010 I miss you BUD! :sad2: 81 4wd wheelable 20r ifs rear welded on 33's goes amazing
"THE GENERAL" My build-on the backburner http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=63519.0

I make more money that you, my wife is hotter than yours, my thingy is bigger than yours

THE ROCK

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 219
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2010, 09:00:53 PM »
 :twocents:It wouldnt hurt to ground the bed to the frame either if , for example you are running an additional "reverse spot lite", or have other electrical items mounted in the bed( I have other stuff in my camper shell)..and basically the ground was poor, if any, due to the body lift and rubber insulators between bed and chassis. Im grounded battery to eng, battery to body, engine to chassis, and valve cover to body also..make sure to grind (remove) paint, and star washers dont hurt either and coat everything w/ dielectric grease :thumbs:. :usa:

myyota

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2010, 11:38:47 PM »
:twocents:It wouldnt hurt to ground the bed to the frame either if , for example you are running an additional "reverse spot lite", or have other electrical items mounted in the bed( I have other stuff in my camper shell)..and basically the ground was poor, if any, due to the body lift and rubber insulators between bed and chassis. Im grounded battery to eng, battery to body, engine to chassis, and valve cover to body also..make sure to grind (remove) paint, and star washers dont hurt either and coat everything w/ dielectric grease :thumbs:. :usa:
[/quote

I just bought a 160 amp alternator for my 4Runner and im replacing the stock wire from the alt to the battery with 4 gauge battery cable, and replacing all the grounds and adding a few that arn`t there now.
86 4Runner

Larryb [OP]

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:11:37 PM »
Wow, what a difference in starting.

Just completed replacing all cables with 2ga and military terminals. Went from the neg post to the body and engine block and another 2ga ground from the body to the frame. Also replaced the pos cable to starter with 2ga. Starter has a lot more grunt than before.

axled89

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 296
  • Male Posts: 2,526
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2010, 04:15:25 PM »
yea bigger the better there.   :biggthumpup:
i love oregon wheelin.