Author Topic: 3rz Blown head DONE!!  (Read 2388 times)

yotatough

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
3rz Blown head DONE!!
« on: Sep 21, 2009, 06:09:10 PM »
harmonic balancer was broken and that screwed me up on this whole thing!!

today,

I pulled it apart three times now. So after it not starting again, ( it sounds like it has no compression ) I pulled the #1 plug to check for TDC and when its on the 0 mark its almost at the bottom of the stroke ( not the top ) is it possible to put the pully on like that? ( remember I didnt pull the bottom of the motor apart so I didnt touch the pully) I hope this is the reson for it not starting and sounding funny ( like it has no compression )

Last weekend,

ok I got the head back on and I'm trying to set the camshaft timming with the crank shaft.  I put the crank at TDC and the cams at TDC and I think is off still. so I went 180* out and still nothing (dosent sound right) is there a different process to doing this without tearing the whole front of the motor appart??  

I know it sounds like I'm a retard but I was out working on this pig all day untill late last night tryying to get this thing on the road again with no luck.

I didnt tear the whole thing down (timing chain) becaust when I got into it it looked like it had been gone through recently, the head had a stamp on it right in the front corner under the valve cover, said "Terill's(or somthing like that)  AL-CYL-HEADS"

Its a 97 with a 3rz. this morning it sputtered a little after startup then ran fine, after work ( in madera ) it did the same thing.
got home let it cool off, checked the water level and it was low. tryed to start it and it HYDROLOCKED!! pulled the plugs and #1 was soaking with water, turned it over and sprayed water everywhere.

now my question is, is it common for the head to go like this and have no overheating??  even in the hot valley? what are the chances it cracked the head?

is a 97 with 160,000 on it runs really well (untill today).
« Last Edit: Oct 10, 2009, 01:33:31 PM by yotatough »

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
Re: 3rz Blown head with no overheating?????
« Reply #1 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:22:47 PM »
its not common at all but  these engines are just getting to be old enough to start seeing failures,  in a 22R  you would almost always see the overheating,  chances are good the headgasket failed at just the right spot that it leaked the coolant in,  another good chance is the as you killed the engine it was on the intake stroke and that little bit of vacuum left when you killed it was enough to suck coolant in

i doubt the head cracked but its possible

post pics when you get it pulled apart
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #2 on: Sep 21, 2009, 07:44:22 PM »
Also, you may not have seen any overheating if there wasn't enough water in the system to be measured. I had that happen on a 22R. I blew the water out after the heatgasket went when I left the Thermastat out. The lack of a Thermastat greated an air gap in the system and would not let the cooling system flow. But the whole while the temp read normal. Then the whole thing shut down on me while on the freeway.

You did leave the thermastat in didn't you???
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sep 21, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »
Yeah it's got a t-stat. It was only 1/3 of a gallon at most low. My trip to work is only like 15-20 min.  It's just odd to me for this to happen and have no other symptoms, like overheating or blowing a radiator/hose.

The up side is I can now do the timing chain wile I'm at it.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sep 21, 2009, 08:40:19 PM »
I was just getting ready to spend some more money on my project (time for my dual addapter and case gears ) but I wasent planning on spending money under the hood.

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 22, 2009, 12:12:49 PM »
Had one about four months ago.  Same exact conditions, Same senario.  Blew around #4 coolant into the Cyl.  It did not overheat before hand, just parked it and later on it hydro locked.  Head was not cracked, or warped.  New head gasket, ran great. However, He stacked a bearing in the river the other day.   :rivers:

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: 3rz Blown head HELP SETTING TIMMING
« Reply #6 on: Oct 04, 2009, 10:55:15 AM »
ok I got the head back on and I'm trying to set the camshaft timming with the crank shaft.  I put the crank at TDC and the cams at TDC and I think is off still. so I went 180* out and still nothing (dosent sound right) is there a different process to doing this without tearing the whole front of the motor appart?? 

I know it sounds like I'm a retard but I was out working on this pig all day untill late last night tryying to get this thing on the road again with no luck.

I didnt tear the whole thing down (timing chain) becaust when I got into it it looked like it had been gone through recently, the head had a stamp on it right in the front corner under the valve cover, said "Terill's(or somthing like that)  AL-CYL-HEADS"

TacoRunner

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 19177
  • Male Posts: 2,324
  • Member since Feb '04
  • The 1st 3RZ swap 99'-01'
    • View Profile
    • 4wheelunderground
« Reply #7 on: Oct 04, 2009, 11:01:05 PM »
First thing is, all of these motors have a built in electric timing, even if they have a distributor. So dont play with it because it wont do any good. As for setting cam timing, why on earth did you monkey with that. I personally have no idea how to set cam timing, call a performance shop or ask 79coyotefrg, there is some math involved with it and you need a degree wheel bolted to the crank and some other junk that I cant remember.
www.4WHEELUNDERGROUND.com
info@4wheelunderground.com
AKA The GODFATHER The 3RZ Original

Performance Tuned shocks for Leaf Sprung Vehicles   http://www.4wheelunderground.com/Tuning.html

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Oct 05, 2009, 05:39:00 AM »
I'm not talking about altering it, just setting it back to stock, I had to pull the gear off and the cams to get the head off. I set it but can't get it to fire, it cranks like it 180* out, I turned it 180 and set it again and still nothing. Just feel like I'm doing somthing wrong

MC387

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -4
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:45:24 AM »
There is a mark on the cam gear.  You line it up with a mark on the front cam bearing cap.  also, the cams have marks on the back side of the gears that drive the exhaust cam.  One dot on one and two dots on the other.  Those have to be lined up also.  Then, witht the engine at TDC, the distributor rotor needs to be pointed verry near the #1 wire on the cap.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Oct 06, 2009, 06:43:16 PM »
There is no dist. it's got the coil packs. Is there a differant way of doing it with that? Or is it taken care of automaticly?

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #11 on: Oct 06, 2009, 08:38:02 PM »
First thing is, all of these motors have a built in electric timing, even if they have a distributor. So dont play with it because it wont do any good. As for setting cam timing, why on earth did you monkey with that. I personally have no idea how to set cam timing, call a performance shop or ask 79coyotefrg, there is some math involved with it and you need a degree wheel bolted to the crank and some other junk that I cant remember.
:ack:  sorry i dont know nuttin bout birthin no....   :eek:  i've never done a 3RZ  but i could find out
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Oct 07, 2009, 05:44:55 AM »
It's all good. I got it back together sat night and haven't had time to mess with it since then. I think I just need to get out there with some daylight left and give it a good look.

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: 3rz Blown head HELP crank pully marks off??
« Reply #13 on: Oct 10, 2009, 10:09:49 AM »

I pulled it apart three times now. So after it not starting again, ( it sounds like it has no compression ) I pulled the #1 plug to check for TDC and when its on the 0 mark its almost at the bottom of the stroke ( not the top ) is it possible to put the pully on like that? ( remember I didnt pull the bottom of the motor apart so I didnt touch the pully) I hope this is the reson for it not starting and sounding funny ( like it has no compression )

yotatough [OP]

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Oct '06
    • View Profile
Re: 3rz Blown head DONE!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 10, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »
harmonic balancer was broken and that screwed me up on this whole thing!!