Author Topic: rear axle in tundra  (Read 713 times)

400exboy2

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Aug '09
    • View Profile
rear axle in tundra
« on: Aug 15, 2009, 12:16:33 PM »
hello all! I have a 2000 toyota tundra. Recently the rear axle blew due to doing stupid stuff, ( going though mud and water without doing the breather mod.), (doing burnouts here and there) just the common stuff we do with our play trucks. When my first rear blew, i figured it couldnt handle what i put up to it, so i ordered a detriot softlocker and went from 3.90 gears to 4.56 gears( due to pulling stuff, and bigger tires down the road. I havent had one issue out of it since, until the other night. I came up to a four-way intersection and it was raining and no one was around so i figured ill do a lil burnout( maily because one of my buddies didnt understand the concept of a locker). well i didnt just stomp it i let it build up easy and when i did the truck started bouncing a little bit and then i heard a snap. So i put it in 4hi and drove it back to the house. Ripped it apart the next day and find a little alien bolt that looked like it had been over torqued or something,which tore up the whole case of the locker. Called detriot and they said it wouldnt be covered under warrenty because it was/is a installion problem. I want to just buy a whole new thrid member and locker, but now im scared that it could just happen again. ( mainly scared because i have a supercharger thats on the way :)  ) anyone have any ideas of what to do? it seems like to me that the stock rear held up more than the one with the locker? and also shouldnt something happened to your u-joints before anything else? seems like the u-joints may be the strongest thing in a tundras drivetrain  :rofl2: