Author Topic: 3RZ swap Auto transmission wiring  (Read 5628 times)

tfrere

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
3RZ swap Auto transmission wiring
« on: May 13, 2009, 08:55:37 AM »
I have read several posts and have found you all very knowledgeable on this conversions and you have inspired me to go for it as well.  I have gathered exceptional information on the 2.7 swap from this site, but it seems most people are making the conversion to manual transmission and have I found few references to automatics in this swap. First off let me say the automatic is a necessity for me, not a choice between 5 speed or automatic so let’s please stay on track.

My rig is 1987 4 runner SR5 package 4x4 with 22rte and electronic controlled; mechanical transfer case automatic transmission (A340F? can’t read the tag anymore)
I am taking a 3RZ engine and bolting up to the original transmission in the 87.
The engine comes out of a 2000 2wd Tacoma with an automatic transmission 30-40LE also an electronic controlled automatic.
I have the complete harness under hood and dash and the ECU from the Tacoma. This will be a daily driver and I want all the extras to work: power windows, over drive, electronic dash cluster and the like.
Mechanically everything is working ok with the swap i.e.: motor mounts, bolt up to trans, fuel lines etc... exhaust clearance is going to be tight, I’ll work it out. But I am now considering the wiring and quite frankly I am totally intimidated by this part of the project.
I am currently looking at trying to splice in the 87's transmission connectors into the 2000's engine harness first then I was thinking of trying to splice the engine harness into the dash.

I have a factory service manual for the 87, but the diagrams I have found in it for the dash to engine and dash to transmission connectors do not detail the pin/wire color to the function. Obviously the wire colors and harness connectors do not match between vehicles.
Could I ask your suggestion on how to proceed? Possibly any links to other builds or support other than ORS?

I have pictures of the two harnesses but can't figure out how to post them here   
Thanks
Jv

tfrere [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
Re: 3RZ swap Auto transmission wiring
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2009, 07:27:14 AM »
After a little more research i think I have a A340H not a A340F, if I understand the A340F was not installed in the 4runner until 1995?
Jv :headscratch:

dniel

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 1
  • Male Posts: 194
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2009, 08:56:43 AM »
The actual shifting of the tranny is quite simple and should be contolled by two wires going to two shift solenoids. Both autos should be the same in this regard. The thing that might be more difficult is that the speed sensors might not be the same between the two. If the 3rz tranny computer (ECT) can't read the speed signal correctly it will not know when to shift. Also when you are in 4low it probably won't shift out of 1st gear as the 2wd ECT has no way to account for the gear reduction. You should have a 340h. If you have deep pockets you could use the 2wd taco tranny with an adapter and a gear driven case.

As for the wiring I have never done a 3rz swap but as long as the engine harness is fairly self contained it should be pretty simple. On the truck side your 22r engine harness should plug into the 22r computer and then there will be a square plug that goes to the body harness. This square plug on your body harness suplies power to the ECU and engine accessories like injectors and coils from your trucks ignition. There should be 2 or three thick wires in the middle and a bunch thinner ones around the outside. For example one of the thick ones will be either black/blue or solid black. This gives power to the starter when your key is turned all the way forward and is cut off when you return the key to the on position. The thick wire that is either orange/black or red/black suplies power to coils and injectors when the key is in the on position. You need to figure out what power sources the 3rz needs and splice them in from there. The 3rz ECU will probably need a constant power wire from the battery for computer memory.
1uz-fe, 1 tons, 44" tsl

tfrere [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2009, 07:01:54 PM »
 I am at work out of the country for the next few weeks I will start with this new information when I get back to the project I will have to make a fresh pot of coffee and study, study, study those wires. Deep pockets likely not an option for me at this time.

Thanks dniel

zooky

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '05
  • Crawling with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2009, 05:50:16 AM »
If you have deep pockets you could use the 2wd taco tranny with an adapter and a gear driven case.

There is a Volvo transmission that will work in the toyota. There are NO wires to hook up. The toyota 2wd bellhousing will bolt right up to it. I made an adapter to mount a gear driven T-case to the back of it. The transmission I used had a 23 spline output that matched the toyota T-case splines so making a coupler was easy. The transmission cost me $59 and I made the adapter in my driveway for like $100, no special tools. So it can be done cheap.
Here is a pic, that is a Suzuki bellhousing but the toyota bolts on just the same: