Author Topic: About to order parts and need help!  (Read 2307 times)

85 toyota

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
About to order parts and need help!
« on: Mar 15, 2009, 06:58:17 AM »
i have a 1985 toyota pick up. I plan on doing a lot after i get back from afgan.. im about to order some parts and I dont want to order some crap. So far what i plan on getting is the marlin 79-85 4 in trail flex lift kit. its spost to have the high steer and springs and what not. Is that lift kit good? how is the ride if ur not off roading? this kit is $1899.00 and i dont mind spending that if the kit is worth it. Another thing im about to buy is lockers for front and rear. I want a selectable, so either electron or air. I prefer electronic but i hear there slow.. but how slow are they like a few seconds to enguage or a few mins? and are there any other elockers for toyota like the eaton elocker (which i cant find).. i looked it up and people say that the toyota elocker is the only one that is available. I know that u got to do some modifications to the housing on my axle to fit that toyota elocker and some one gave me the web page that shows u how to do it but i lost it and ive been looking on this form to find it and i cant do it so if any one knows it could u PLEASE give it to me lol. and if i get the tcase low gear kit 4:70.1 what gears should i run in the diffs? just stock gears which is 4.11 i belive. so thats pretty much all the questions i have i really am stuck on the elockers most of all. bc that is what i belive im gonna go with is the toyota elocker unless there is another option that i dont know about.

thanks

rob

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
Re: About to order parts and need help!
« Reply #2 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:43:43 AM »
The springs should be fine.  The elockers only takes a few seconds to engage and that's usually only if your not moving.  You have to run all the wiring to make them work.  Some people using the E-locker ditch the electric solenoids and wiring and make them cable actuated for better reliability.   The air locker (ARB) engages quicker but it too sometimes makes you have to roll a few feet to engage it.  But you have to worry about air leaks, air compressor wiring and air lines.   From a reliability standpoint they are about even.  I have an E-locker in one of my trucks and and ARB in the other and neither one has ever failed to work.

As far as gear ratios it really depends on the size tires you pland to run.   With the lift you want you can fit 33's, 35's and even 37's with some fender trimming.     As a general rule of thumb 33's work best with 4.88's and 35-37 work good with 5.29's.  If your gonna use this as a daily driver just remember that even though you change gears to work with the tire size difference there is still a big weight difference when you increase tire size.  Unsprung weight makes the already power lacking 22r/22re even weaker.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

OOPS

• Rock Ninja
  • Online The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 1304
  • Male Posts: 2,561
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 15, 2009, 07:44:27 AM »
Here is a write up on installing the e-locker. I know there are others.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/electric_locker/

At the bottom of this page there is some more info.

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/
David & Theresa Fritzsche, 1990 Ex-Cab with a few mods!!!!!!!!! Roseville, CA Sobriety =Serenity

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 15, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »
I plan on doing a lot after i get back from afgan..
Can't help any with your questions, sorry....  I just wanted to say Thank You for your service!   :biggthumpup:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: -117
  • Male Posts: 2,048
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 15, 2009, 09:52:59 AM »
I did marlins 5 inch lift and loved it! easy(time consuming) to install runs great on road considering its a 26 year old truck with 37 inch tires. Id run 5.29s and really consider the 4.7 case it was one of the best improvements ive done.

One thing to think about is dual cases. I know its a pricey mod but chances are you with have to do driveshafts with this build so might as well only do them once. I spent alot of extra money trying to slowly build my truck instead of just biting the bullet and doing it all at once. hope that helps! if you have questions or want picts of anything let me know!
You'll never take me alive

85 toyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2009, 07:56:12 AM »
ok so here is what im planning on ordering.. 2 complete 3rd members with the toyota electronic lockers in them. 1 is going to be high pinion for the front and the rear is gonna be the regular 3rd member with a elocker. than im ordering the 4 inch marlin trail flex lift kit. i hear alot about the cable accuated lockers any one here got those? are those pretty good or are they pretty gay?

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »
i got the one from downey, i dont recommend it.

85 toyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:13:44 AM »
slolyfe when u used ur kit did u have to cut and reweld the mounts for the springs? bc online it sounds like you have to do that but im not sure.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #9 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »
slolyfe when u used ur kit did u have to cut and reweld the mounts for the springs? bc online it sounds like you have to do that but im not sure.
yes you have to move the spring hanger forward on the rear, and  i suggest the front hanger on the front axle as well

I have the downey cable as well and it really looks simple, i dont see having a problem with it,

what size tires are you going to run

btw  :usa:  THANK YOU
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Mar 16, 2009, 09:50:43 AM »

I have the downey cable as well and it really looks simple, i dont see having a problem with it,

so you havnt used it yet glen? mines a p.i.t.a.   it binds if the cable is moved the tinyest bit.

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:15:58 AM »
We cut off the front hangers to beef it up but didnt have to. You do have to relocate the rear hangers. Let me try to figure out how to post photos

blackdiamond

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Mar 16, 2009, 11:36:22 AM »
If money isn't an issue, I always recommend Alcan springs above all else.  Get the rest of the kit from Marlin and enjoy your custom springs.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

Slolyfe

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Aug '07
  • Heyo
    • View Profile

85 toyota [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Mar 17, 2009, 08:40:17 AM »
thanks for the pictures.. that helped out so u dont have to do the front but its sugested.. the rear u have to do. does the kit have instructions so you know the mesurements on how far to mount them. and for all who have the marlin kit do you like it? how is the ride on the regular road? I plan on running 33's 12.5 for tires and there gonna be toyo open country m/t. what is this downey cable yall be talkin about what is that for and what does it do? man i appreciate the help thanks yall its hard to get information out here bc the internet is so slow.. i can barley get on this web page to look at what other people posted. so thanks i appreciate it