Poll

Which is the best tow? I'm driving them all and I'm going to buy one of these in the next month!

Ford f-250 Superduty Crew Cab 4x4 powerstroke
44 (31.9%)
Chevy Silverado 2500 duramax crew cab
30 (21.7%)
Dodge 2500 crew cab cummins
64 (46.4%)

Total Members Voted: 137

Author Topic: Tow rig Poll!  (Read 33861 times)

crawlerdan

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
Re: Tow rig Poll!
« Reply #150 on: Jun 21, 2005, 05:03:01 PM »
psssssstttt! :rofl2:

mudguts

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 1114
  • Member since Mar '04
  • Meat of the Gods
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: Jul 03, 2005, 07:46:06 AM »
The Farts and Dodges are leaving the Chitties in the dust, according to the pole  :hahaha:
:nerv:                                                                                               :turtle: I love T.I.T.S. :turtle:

BUBBA

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 16
  • Male Posts: 1,138
  • Member since Mar '05
  • this sucks
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: Jul 03, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »
here's a couple of tow rigs I wouldn't mind owning
87 4runner 350 with custom dent package. 
My budget beater

crawlerdan

• Turtle Points: 1319
  • Male Posts: 4,770
  • Member since Feb '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: Jul 03, 2005, 11:14:08 AM »
ya, my uncle has an international like that, the one with the ford bed, i think its awesome, and that he has too much money

davidstaco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: Oct 16, 2008, 04:05:01 PM »
or you could just buy a dodge cummins and back it up too an allison tranny then u would have the ultimate tow rig it would pull just about anything u wanted. because the dodge tranny sucks. i hear all to much about dodges trannys giving out even when your not pulling anything. but more people have bought them and the tranny has done fine but theres still that chance. but hey look at it this way if u buy one and blow the tranny out of it so what its called a warrenty lol.

davidstaco

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Oct '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: Oct 16, 2008, 04:08:26 PM »
i would still go with a dodge  i mean i love a chevy but when it comes to a diesel u cant beat the cummins and the powerstroke is great but still not as good as the cummins if i was u i would take my chances with the dodge most likely the tranny will do great.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: Oct 16, 2008, 09:43:47 PM »
Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!  :yikes:

:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: Oct 17, 2008, 09:11:20 AM »
Holy Thread Revival Batman!!!  :yikes:

thats classic
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:47:03 PM »
How does a Chevrodge compare?  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: Oct 17, 2008, 04:51:08 PM »
i like the dodge, i would get a 3500 though
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

gotrocks

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 107
  • Male Posts: 2,653
  • Member since Dec '04
  • FLOOR IT!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: Oct 18, 2008, 09:14:04 AM »
Can I change my vote.  I've had all 3 since the poll and my favorite all around now is the Chevy.  HATED my dodge because the stiff seats and crappy interior and pos transmission.  Loved the Ford because of awesome interior and awesome look but bad motor.  Love the chevy for everything except the IFS.

toyotaboy

• Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 238
  • Member since Sep '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: Oct 19, 2008, 10:46:58 PM »
6 liters are junk, dont like the interior

12 valves and 24 valves are great motors, hate the tranny and interior

Duramax is bad ass, yes injector issues and the hubs are a stupid design but easy to deal with, allison is bad ass, rides like a car, super comfortable interior, Bose. dont care about not having a solid axle, truck stays on the level most of the time
rest in peace Effay

01 taco needs, duals, front axle, linked rear, exo...

85 extra cab/cab for sale with efi harness. no drivetrain, will sell, make offer

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,058
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: Nov 01, 2008, 04:22:30 PM »
Can I change my vote.  I've had all 3 since the poll and my favorite all around now is the Chevy.  HATED my dodge because the stiff seats and crappy interior and pos transmission.  Loved the Ford because of awesome interior and awesome look but bad motor.  Love the chevy for everything except the IFS.

I thought I saw a duramax in a picture recently.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

ctdellerman

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 31
  • Member since Mar '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: Dec 16, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
I own a Cummins Dodge and can say you won't find a better tow rig.   My truck has a fortune in aftermarket goods to make it an absolute beast.  Knowing what I know now I think the buyer who just wants to buy a truck and use it should buy a Chevy with a Duramax/Allison.  My truck will out tow a Chevy the way I have it modified but most guys don't want to deal with a 6 speed manual.  A Chevy in stock form works awesome and will last a good amount of time.  People that say a Duramax will blow the heads off and an Allison is not reliable are misinformed.  I would consider myself a serious dieselhead and wouldn't steer someone the wrong direction.  Fords...If they have an intercooled 7.3 then they are worth owning but their auto tranny is no better than a Dodge auto.  The 6.0's and the twin turbo trucks are just plain POS's no if's an's or butt's!  I have friends with all of the brands and the Chevy and Dodge guys have nothing bad to say but all my Ford friends spend a good amount of time at the dealership and complain about poor mileage.  Eric
1987 4-Runner, elocker rear...gathering parts for SAS conversion
2001 Dodge 2500 4x4 QCLB Cummins Diesel 6spd HO.  Edge Juice with Attitude, Edge Jammer II injectors, AFE Stage 2, MBRP 4" exhaust, Jacobs exhaust brake, FASS fuel system, Southbend Clutch, Carli Suspension, 3" Sway-A-Ways, custom Deaver leaf packs, custom long travel airbags, 3rd gen wheels, Lukes links, DSS, Royal Utility bed

Rocksnail

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 3
  • Male Posts: 595
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: Dec 19, 2008, 08:49:10 AM »
The dodge is the way to go. I have an 01 3500  with a 6 speed. the truck is a dream. not only can i out pull  most fords and just about every chevy. but i get way better fuel economy while i do it. if your looking to get a truck that can handle towing alot of weight and tow it alot. then dodge. if you need a rig that can two once a month and be a DD the rest of the time. then you cant go wrong with the chevy. chevy tows like a gas rig. revs up alot shits at higher rpms. just didnt care for the chevy to much. now to ford. good trucks. my 03 was and early one ( one of the first 6.0) and this is why i hate the ford. but thats due to the year of mine. the 03s where junk! in the end i will never go back. dodge all the way for the diesel thing.
1993 4door  s10 Tahoe. 4.3 th350c duel toys w/4.7 rear, D60 front 5.13 welded. 14Bolt rear 5.13 mini spool,hydro assist, TG 5HD front springs, 63s out back. h2s with 39x14 17 Pit Bull Madd Dogs

Toymin8r

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 50
  • Male Posts: 929
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: Dec 19, 2008, 09:34:56 AM »
Here is the most honest answer I can give you as far as which is the best.    The Ford and the Dodge weigh more than the Chevy so they will feel a bit more stable when pulling heavier weights but the chevy has more pulling power.  Most Diesel mag comparisons reflect this too.   However, the Chevy has the best engine/tranny combo.   I know this will piss of the Dodge guys because yes the Cummins is the heavy duty motor of the 3 but their trannys have always sucked, at least until they started putting in the Aisin automatics last year and the verdict is still not out on those.    The Duramax engine has the most factory HP and torque and the Allison 6spd is by far the strongest tranny of the bunch.   The Ford has had numerous problems with their engines ever since they stopped making the 7.3 in 2002.   

If you haven't already figured it out by now I am a little biased towards the Chevy.  I have a 2002 Duramax/Allison truck and my experience with it has been great.   It has 165,000 miles on it, all of which have had an Edge Juice box power adder.   I have replaced, 1 right wheel bearing(probably failed prematurely due to accident), Fuel injectors under warranty, 1 Alternator(last summer), rear brakes (just last summer also), both batteries (also just last summer).  Thats it.   Everything else is 100% original, including the front brakes.  If any Ford Or Dodge will give you that many trouble free low cost miles I would be amazed.   My buddy went through 3 transmissons in his same year Dodge with a similar amount of miles.   Also, I get an honest 18-20MPG in normal driving and 14-15MPG Towing my yota, which is far better that wither the Ford or Dodge ever will get.  With diesel still being expensive that is something to be considered. 

If you want to lift it or something or just want a solid axle truck then you want a FORD or DODGE but overall I would choose a Chevy again.  As far as cost you could probably swing the best deal with dodge though since they seem to be in the most trouble financially.
YOU ONLY NEED TWO TOOLS IN LIFE - WD-40 AND DUCT TAPE. IF IT DOESN'T MOVE
AND SHOULD, USE THE WD-40. IF IT SHOULDN'T MOVE AND DOES, USE THE DUCT TAPE.

IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU HAVE AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.

BeccaLoo24 – i can toss grown men.... so dont doubt me

arrowbee

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 23
  • Male Posts: 72
  • Member since Jan '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: Apr 18, 2009, 11:44:18 PM »
dodge with the 6 speed manual all the way,wont leave you on the side of the road dead,Ive owned all three and that's all i do is haul {like 35000 pounds} the 7.3 r good running motors but the 6.0 suck put it this way in 36000 miles and only have owning it for 1 year it was in the shop 32 times ,some times for only 1 day and at the end like 3 months so if i remember right it was in for a total of 240 days so it went to the lemon law,but the Chevy's r good en less u r hauling alot of weight then you r going to have problems,all though the 03 dodges r :pokinit: as well but any other year of dodge is good especially the 5.9,so ya dodge in my book
YARDSALE!!!