Author Topic: Replace turn-signal with foglight.  (Read 1701 times)

Hawk Thor

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
Replace turn-signal with foglight.
« on: Apr 16, 2009, 11:59:24 AM »
I just finished the blinkermod the other night but I'm probably not going to get a tubebumper. Around here (Iceland) we don't need tubebumpers that badly, a little support and protection under the factory bumper is quite enough.

I was thinking about putting foglights in the bumper cutout for the blinkers. Its common knowledge that foglights should be mounted low on the vehicle, but all the time I see foglights mounted at the same height or higher than the headlights on grillguards or tubebumpers.

I found these after a short google search, 6.5"x4" and they come as a HID low beam and a halogen high beam.

I thought I might use the HID, put in a 3000K bulb and adjust them as fogs.

But then I thought of the possibility of the lights getting damaged. That got me thinking of sealed beams or replacement headlights, those are usually cheap and should work fine as fogs.

Do you know about any good yellow rectangular lights that might fit the blinker cutouts with a little trimming and fabbed mounts?

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Replace turn-signal with foglight.
« Reply #1 on: Apr 16, 2009, 12:17:36 PM »
look into some of the low model hella lights.....

i wouldnt run hid for turn signals, but would be ok for fogs..... the blinking would probably either really lag the bulb or stress out the ballast

as far as being legal, probably be ok..... i run sidemarker lights under my headlights wired to the turnsignals... im in CA and they have never bothered me about it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Hawk Thor [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 112
  • Member since May '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Apr 16, 2009, 01:26:39 PM »
I don´t plan on using the fog-lights as blinkers, I modified my cornerlights for 1157 bulbs so they´re parking lights and blinkers. I´m just looking for some rectangular lamps that might look almost OEM in the bumper.
I´ll grab a catalog from my local Hella dealer.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2009, 01:30:11 PM »
dont know how shipping would be to you, but check out jcwhitney, they have all sorts of cheap aftermarket lights....
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~