Author Topic: Questions for my first build  (Read 1677 times)

sggirbyt

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Beat you like you owe me money I will
    • View Profile
Questions for my first build
« on: Oct 03, 2008, 07:38:20 AM »
I have recenty bought a 87 4runner with a 22re and a 5speed. I don't have alot of areas here to go climb in but have plenty of river bed, sand, LOTS of snow, and the occasional cliff side to climb. What would yall suggest for a decent build so I could play and use for my daily driver?

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
Re: Questions for my first build
« Reply #1 on: Oct 03, 2008, 10:52:34 AM »
Go play with it how it sits.  You've started with a good platform.  I'd say first thing is a locker in the rear.  As your skill and experience progresses, bigger tires, gear the diffs, duals, and a lift.  If you're thinking about SASing it eventually, I wouldn't worry about an IFS lift.  Why spend the $$ twice?  :thumbs:

:psss: and usually, if we have an 87 4 runner, we usually don't post it in the 95+ section  :gap:

:beerchug: 

:welcome: to the wonderful world of marlin! 
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Oct 03, 2008, 11:36:06 AM »
How much you want to spend?  :dunno:
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved

sggirbyt [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Male Posts: 27
  • Member since Sep '08
  • Beat you like you owe me money I will
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Oct 03, 2008, 11:45:49 AM »
lol, I just relized this thread was for 1995 and newer tacoma 4runners, etc. Sorry. Could somebody possibly move the thread for me or should I delete and repost? As far as the money, I am a father of 2 and a husband raising a family on a prison gaurds income, so the cheaper the better. However this is my toy and I am willing to spend some money on it.

*ROKTOY*

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,066
  • Member since Nov '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Oct 05, 2008, 08:28:16 AM »
I say use it as is as stated before, and follow what was mentioned. I see you live in Colorado, once you start finding out where the good trails are you will no doubt want to SAS it. Good luck with your build keep us posted and take lot's of pic's.

blackdiamond

• Turtle Points: 1174
  • Male Posts: 5,057
  • Member since Dec '03
  • Crawlin with Marlin
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Oct 05, 2008, 09:59:57 AM »
I grew up in Colorado and wheeled my 85 truck there for a few years.  I had 32's and  a 3-1/2 inch Pro Comp lift. 

Your first mods should be single 4.70 case and a rear locker.  Gears will help you at altitude and a rear locker in a toy goes a long way.  I wouldn't mess with a locker up front until you do an SAS, but you can run many of the trails with one locker.  At some point a mild to wild lift would be a benefit, but you can't beat gears in Colorado.  I powered out twice with my 85 truck, once on a switchback cut on Blackbear and once at Wheeler Lake.  Both great places to wheel.
1989 4Runner: Dual Ultimate (Inchworm front & Marlin 4.70 rear), Marlin Twin Stick, 1200-lb clutch, 4.88 R&P, Aussie Front, Detroit rear, 30-spline Longs, Long hub gears, ARP hub and knuckle studs & 35x12.50 Cooper STT PRO tires.  Marlin rear bumper & sliders.  FROR front bumper.  SAS with Alcan springs & Rancho 9000XL shocks.  Budbuilt Bolt-on traction bar.  Custom Interior Cage by Those Guys Rod and Customs.

Moab Tested & Rubicon Approved