Author Topic: Clutch pedal's really loose  (Read 2284 times)

83MT

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -23
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
Clutch pedal's really loose
« on: Sep 12, 2008, 07:39:36 AM »
I remember (waaay back when I was driving this thing) that the clutch pedal depressed really easy, but the clutch was pretty worn out. Now it's still really easy, and I can shift through the gears whether I've got the clutch in or not (this is all just sitting in the garage, it's not running yet). I did replace the release cylinder, so I'll bet it should be bled, but would that be enough to cause this? If not, what else should I be looking at?

Sorry, I didn't mention that I just put an L52HD in, new LUK clutch kit.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
Re: Clutch pedal's really loose
« Reply #1 on: Sep 12, 2008, 08:40:35 AM »
Hydraulic clutches should be easy to push, and you should be able to cycle the shifter without it running with or without depressing the clutch. The question I have is with the clutch out do the gears hold it in place when in gear and visa-verse when you depress the clutch. That'll tell you weather the slave is working or not.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sep 12, 2008, 08:47:24 AM »
Not sure I completely understand what you're saying. By clutch out you mean clutch pedal out? So do the gears hold the truck in place with the pedal out? Is that what you mean? I could put it in first and try pushing it a bit from outside the truck to see if it moves, I guess, if that's what you're getting at. Let me know if I'm misunderstanding, though.

By easy I mean really easy. My Subaru has a bit of a stiff clutch, though, so maybe I'm just used to that.
Zach
I like Yotatech

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #3 on: Sep 12, 2008, 08:50:19 AM »
Ok, put your truck in 1st with the break off an try to push it. if moves you've got a problem.

Now with the truck in 1st depress the clutch and have someone push it, if it moves it's working if it don't you've got a problem.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #4 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:04:56 AM »
shoulda got a Marlin clutch
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

83MT [OP]

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Jun '08
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sep 12, 2008, 09:12:40 AM »
shoulda got a Marlin clutch

Yeah yeah.  :slap: I know. This truck will get used off road, but it's essentially a DD, road trip, get me around everywhere vehicle. The stock clutches work fine for that plus light off road stuff, and last well over 100K, so I can handle that. Some things I went with the best, but it really seems like the Marlin clutch is for serious crawling, and won't be doing much of that.

Ok, I'll check on that stuff when I get somebody over. This should possibly be a new topic, but....the oil sending unit goes in the hole...under the oil filter? Behind the oil filter? My engine came back from the machine shop with plugs threaded into all the holes, and I don't quite remember which it went into, but I couldn't really get it to thread into any of the holes, the unit just seems slightly too large. Not sure what's up with that.
Zach
I like Yotatech