Author Topic: turning a pickup into a runner  (Read 2757 times)

yota_krawler

• Cody Hunter
  • Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 5
  • Male Posts: 3,379
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
turning a pickup into a runner
« on: Aug 31, 2008, 06:40:16 PM »
if anyone knows of a thread or has done it. I want to turn my ext cab into a runner. pics and stuff needed. thanks
Tow Rig: 2006 GMC Sierra Crew Cab: lift and tires.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: turning a pickup into a runner
« Reply #1 on: Aug 31, 2008, 06:58:27 PM »
are you talking about swapping a body or are you talking about adding a sheel and taking out the rear bulkhead of the cab?

the runner and the xcab arent the same length, so the wheelbase or the sheetmetal will need to be moved
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Aug 31, 2008, 07:05:10 PM »
I haven't done it, but I'm planning on doing something similar with my truck.  I'm planning on:

1)cutting out the back wall of the cab.
2)cut out the front of the bed.
3) cutting some sections of sheetmetal, molding them to fit the side of the bed and cab, and welding them in place, essentially turning the 2 body sections into 1 piece.  I'm also going to use sheetmetal to fill the gap between the bed and the cab.
4)interior cage the cab, with the cage extending into the bed, to the wheel wells.
5) put some seats in front of the wheel wells.  What is now the extended cab seats will become the footwell/storage space for the back seats.
6)find a shell that has no front wall/window, but a gasket that fits against the back of the cab.  Modify that gasket so that it will go around the opening I've made, and down the sides of the cab, to where the bed is newly attached to the body.  Should be water tight for the most part, and in the summer, I'll run a cover on the cage, to keep the sun off the back seat passengers.
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Aug 31, 2008, 07:48:57 PM »
I am talking about turning my ext cab yota into a runner. Like what blackdog talked about. Thanks, do you know of anyone doing this? Or is it just something you have thought of over time. I have seen it done once but it was pretty ghetto. I want to make it look like a regular ext cab with a shell. The only way you will be able to tell it is modified is if you look inside the cab, or if the shell is off.
Wheeler: 1985 Toyota 4runner Semi Built: project http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=89681.msg1013539#msg1013539

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Aug 31, 2008, 07:51:06 PM »
i beleive infernal has a thread on here about trucks with no backs... might wnat to ask him... that thread has tons of pics and ideas in it
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Aug 31, 2008, 07:53:22 PM »
I am talking about turning my ext cab yota into a runner. Like what blackdog talked about. Thanks, do you know of anyone doing this? Or is it just something you have thought of over time. I have seen it done once but it was pretty ghetto. I want to make it look like a regular ext cab with a shell. The only way you will be able to tell it is modified is if you look inside the cab, or if the shell is off.

I've just thought it out over time.  I have seen it done, but like you said, pretty ghetto.  I'm kind of blending different builds together, and taking some out of each one.  I'm hoping to get mine started soon, and I'll be sure to post plenty of pics when I do :gap:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Aug 31, 2008, 08:01:28 PM »
There was a truck that was in another mag (this one was in 4WDTO) several years ago that was an extra cab converted to 4runner I think but I couldnt find that truck build on pbb. I thought I had seen it on PBB before but maybe not. This was the only thread I could find on Pirate (I dont have a red star, cant search) on an extra cab to 4runner conversion. He talks about what he did on the second page. Definitely looks sick.

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=304626
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

bigarms23

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 111
  • Male Posts: 2,897
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Aug 31, 2008, 09:52:32 PM »
try contacting vova on pirate4x4.com i think he has done this
88 4runner 92 cpi duals 37 radial rockers and 4.8 coming soon

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Aug 31, 2008, 10:15:52 PM »
that is almost what I was thinking nick, but I dont want to use a runner top, I want to have a walk through cab sealed with a regular camper shell on it so it looks like a redular ext cab but with a camper shell. the roof on the one you pointed out is funky cause its not flush you can tell he fabed it. ya know but I do like it thanks Keep it coming

mayberry

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 10
  • Male Posts: 707
  • Member since Nov '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Sep 01, 2008, 12:23:49 PM »
you said you have seen it done once and it was hella getto. was the truck cream  on 37" irocks in paradise?

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sep 01, 2008, 12:53:00 PM »
that is almost what I was thinking nick, but I dont want to use a runner top, I want to have a walk through cab sealed with a regular camper shell on it so it looks like a redular ext cab but with a camper shell. the roof on the one you pointed out is funky cause its not flush you can tell he fabed it. ya know but I do like it thanks Keep it coming

Well you could probably just modify what he did and use a camper shell instead, in fact it seems it would be easier to use a shell because you could weld onto it, the fiberglass is probably hard to work with. I will see if I can track down the other "extra runner" i saw a few years ago.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sep 01, 2008, 03:08:52 PM »
you said you have seen it done once and it was hella getto. was the truck cream  on 37" irocks in paradise?

yup that was the one. it was like a tanish cream color. I also saw onw my buddy had. very ghetto

yota_krawler [OP]

• Cody Hunter
  • Member since Oct '06
  • proud parent!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sep 01, 2008, 03:09:35 PM »
Well you could probably just modify what he did and use a camper shell instead, in fact it seems it would be easier to use a shell because you could weld onto it, the fiberglass is probably hard to work with. I will see if I can track down the other "extra runner" i saw a few years ago.

that would be cool if you could, I wanna find a build up on one not just pics.

Thomas P

• Turtle Points: 109
  • Male Posts: 3,092
  • Member since Feb '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sep 01, 2008, 10:30:39 PM »
marsey and thor both did that to their extra cab trucks, did you ever see them? next time you see thors crawler at tonys smog, talk to him he will let you check it out!
'85 EFI X cab SR5. 42" Iroks, Dual ultimates etc.
'84 Std. cab  Yota, Chevy 4.3 swapped (makes v8's cry)
'88 4 Runner 39.5" Iroks FJ80 front, taco rear elockers dual ultimates
'07 Toyota Tundra crew max 5.7 (grocery getter/tow rig)
'14 Camry SE
SCX10 Honcho on roids!

Duffil

• *lurker*
  • Turtle Points: 138
  • Male Posts: 4,844
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
    • PhotoBucket
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #14 on: Sep 01, 2008, 10:53:13 PM »
BigMike knows a guy...JimJob I think was his handle. His rig was in a mag a few years back, and he was at MCR last year. White truck, all blue tube work.  He did what you are asking about...guy lives up by the con somewhere. Truck is super clean.