Author Topic: 3B engine  (Read 15876 times)

Wild_Yoda

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
3B engine
« on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:06:00 PM »
Hello all, I have a diesel 3B engine kicking around and im having problems finding (parts,rebuild kits) things of that nature for it. Anyone out there know of any good sites. This engine is does not have a turbo and i'm wondering what it would take to make it one , and what the gains would be.

Anything would be helpful .

THanks  :driving:

boggerunner

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 9
  • Male Posts: 3,140
  • Member since May '06
  • Philberbuilt
    • View Profile
Re: 3B engine
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2009, 10:54:43 PM »
is the fuel pump inline or rotory?  its ease to put a turbo on it, u need an exhaust manifold, turbo(h1c)  supply and return oil lines, and turn up the fuel pump a bit.  and u can put an intercooler on it, but whta are u putting it into?

The only places to get parts from i know of are cummins, and ebay has alot of used parts.
they share alot of parts with a 6b motor too

Wild_Yoda [OP]

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Feb '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Feb 19, 2009, 02:02:37 PM »
I think it has a rotary fuel pump, its out of a 82 BJ60 landcruiser . I took the body off it was rusting away. Now I'm left with a frame axles engine and tranny.  The engine only had 100 000 miles on it. Some part were sold off of it before I started messing with it. It doesn't have injectors or fuel lines or glow plugs. But other then that its complete starter, alt , even a/c or at least that's what it looks like. I have a 85 4 runner sitting around and was thinking of sizing it up for a project off road vehicle. I just heard lots of good things about these engines.

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2009, 01:09:45 AM »
it will have a inline fuel pump....  rotaries didnt happen till later and were found in 70 series landcruisers a lot...  i have never seen a rotary pump on a 3b diesel from a 60 series... i am not saying that it cant happen, iam just saying that i have seen and owned quite a few of these engines and have never seen one...

the 3b is an excellent motor with lots of pros and some cons...

the pros are, they have piston cooling nozzles so it makes it quite easy, safe and reliable to turbo the heck out of them... some people run upwards 15 pounds of boost with terrific results....   
 they are quite a reliable engine too..  they chug bad fuel pretty good and arent as sensitive as per say a newer diesel..
a well maintained 3b is easily a 600000km engine with little to no problems...
there are many more pros but i am just to lazy to keep typing..

the cons are that it is becoming quite an old engine and although you should still be able to get most parts for them expect some stuff to eventually become obsolete...
 this engine runs hot and if you have to take the head off, expect it to be cracked around the valves.... there is a new updated head that you can get (nickel composite blah blah...) that is supposed to take care of the cracking problem...   even with a cracked head you probably wont ever notice any problems anyways till you remove the head from the engine...
no other tranny from any other vehicle will bolt to it...  you will need a landcruiser tranny to make this engine work with anything..
 look at australia for aftermarket parts... there are quite a few good places to get complete rebuild kits...  you can usually get the kit and shipping and pay around 1000 bucks usd...

hope this helps!!

oh yeah, these engines suck to try to put into a minitruck...  the trannys are way to wide to fit within the stock tranny hump in the floor, you will have issues getting the tranny to come through the floor in any good place without haveing issues with engine placement...  and these engines need a big rad.. the bigger the better...
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

Radd Cruisers

• Offline Dusty Trails
  • Member since Mar '09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Mar 31, 2009, 11:37:05 AM »
Turbo and intercooler make these engines a lot of fun to drive and the most common thing people do to these engines is lug them at low rpm under load.

Heat is not a problem with this engine, a factory FJ40 rad 3 core is plenty.

The key when driving is keep the revs up and this will help drop the EGTS(exhaust gas temps) and thus reduce temps.

They are definitely a tight fit in a mini and a fair bit up tunnel cover and floor mods to make it fit, otherwise you will love it.

And on the extra cab we did, a marlin crawler box was a must to get the front drive shaft angle within reasonable angles.

We at Raddcruisers sell the Denco turbo for this engine, boost is a moderat 8psi, but can be bumped up to 14PSI.

You love this in a mini truck, being a non turbo motor it has a compression ratio of about 20 to 1 which makes it crawl through just about anything with out touching the throttle. This cannot be said for the 13BT or 12HT which at turboed and run 18to1 compression.

Rob

Yotaman80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -12
  • Male Posts: 384
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »
I had a guy come in to our shop last week looking for some glow plugs to his 3B motor. it turns out he took a 3BT manifold and a later 80s supra turbo and mounted them up and now he says its pretty quick compared to stock. I also just finished a head job on a 85 BJ60 cruiser and it over heated and when the head came off in between all the valves were cracked good and all the pre combustion chambers had taken a beating can crack also. I can get the name of the company we used for the parts ie. valve, seats, pre comb, chambers, head set. I do remember they are based out of Australlia and take 3-4 weeks for shipping though. Let me know if you need any more info im a diesel mechanic in Salinas,CA.
80 Mini Truck-6" springs, Custom Cab Cage, 5150 Bilsteins, 5.29 Yukons, Aussie Locked, Warn M8000, 35"MTRs 5-Points, Diff Breathers, Sliders, Custom Front and Rear bumpers thanks to FATKID
Build Up- http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=50320.0

fj-rankenstein

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 583
  • Member since Jan '05
  • my yard looks like toyota circa 1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2009, 11:20:52 AM »
its geoff walsh (sp??) engine rebuilders out of auzzie probably...  his complete 3b rebuild kits are cheap and complete including liners...  the headgasket is junk though..many reported problems with these...  spend the money on the toyota oem headgasket and you should be good...  i think it comes to around 1200-1500 canadian shipped here to canada..  there are a lot of jokers here that try to sell these kits for 1500 bucks or more up here and then shipping on top.. if you can wait a month for it to show up then its the better option..

i found a few other companies with comparable prices but cant seem to find them in my favorites list....
the never ending build...
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=12165.0;highlight=extend-a-toy

Was searching for something and came across this old jew. BUMP to a classic thread :thumbs:

Yotaman80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2009, 01:31:13 PM »
its geoff walsh (sp??) engine rebuilders out of auzzie probably...  his complete 3b rebuild kits are cheap and complete including liners...  the headgasket is junk though..many reported problems with these...  spend the money on the toyota oem headgasket and you should be good...  i think it comes to around 1200-1500 canadian shipped here to canada..  there are a lot of jokers here that try to sell these kits for 1500 bucks or more up here and then shipping on top.. if you can wait a month for it to show up then its the better option..

i found a few other companies with comparable prices but cant seem to find them in my favorites list....

if its the company with a horse next to the companys lable then yes. but im pretty sure its diesel performance something. cant remember the exact last work in the companys name. ive personally done 2 head gaskets and both are running strong til this day.
80 Mini Truck-6" springs, Custom Cab Cage, 5150 Bilsteins, 5.29 Yukons, Aussie Locked, Warn M8000, 35"MTRs 5-Points, Diff Breathers, Sliders, Custom Front and Rear bumpers thanks to FATKID

madhunt

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 52
  • Male Posts: 490
  • Member since Apr '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2009, 11:26:56 AM »
get the engine serial number off the id plate on side of block and go to any truck parts house and they should be able to get parts for it, or pm me i am online with cummins direct.
HIGH AND TIGHT OFFROAD

Yotaman80

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2009, 06:13:19 PM »
The name of that company is Diesel Power Parts with a jumping house on the box.

get the engine serial number off the id plate on side of block and go to any truck parts house and they should be able to get parts for it, or pm me i am online with cummins direct.

You would think it would be that easy but its not. That motor was not sold wide spread here in the US so not many people have parts for it. And the engine tag is on the firewall up near the drivers side.

orangefj45

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2009, 06:51:37 AM »
fwiw, i just transplanted a 13BT h55f combo into and fj60 and it runs and drives great. the turbo definetly makes it more fun and a lot more driveable than the 3B would be. i have driven a bj60 with the 3b and you'd better not be in a hurry.
 fuel milage is great also.

my dd is a 2H powered hj47 which means i'm not in a hurry either........ :)