Author Topic: 85 4runner!!  (Read 10741 times)

WHITE_TRASH

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 679
  • Member since Feb '03
  • Don't blame me, I didn't vote for this crap.
    • View Profile
Re: 85 4runner!!
« Reply #30 on: Jun 09, 2004, 11:44:49 AM »
Yep the filters on all 22re's are under the intake
Full hydro, 186:1 with an auto and 44's what could go wrong??

BigMike

• Administrator
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2158
  • Male Posts: 18,292
  • Member since Apr '02
  • 511:1 Club
    • View Profile
    • Bone-Stock Plane-Jane 1981 Shortbed Pickup
« Reply #31 on: Jun 09, 2004, 12:48:44 PM »
I was wondering the same thing. Is it blue smoke? I bet its rings. When an engine sits for a long time, the rings stick to the pistons and they need to be loosened up. Try running some Marvel Mystery Oil in your Gas and if that doesnt work after 2 weeks or so, then pull each spark plug and add about a table spoon of Marvel mystery oil to each cylinder, put the truck in 5th gear and push it forward and back a couple of times to ensure that the pistons have moved up and down a bit, then let the oil sit in there over night. Either place some towels or rags above the spark plug holes or thread the plugs back in by hand just a couple threads. The next morning, put the spark plugs back in and tighten them down and fire it up. It will smoke for a couple of mins then the rings will begin to seat to the block and your be set. My new engine in my MR2 right now is smoking like crazy. Its got about 40k miles on it but it sat for 2 or 3 years. I need to do this trick but Im always driving my car and I dont have time to let it sit. Hopefully this weekend I will do that.

About your starting problem.. This may sound crazy but its true. My friends 86' 22R-TE that was rebuilt by Marlin himself started having rough starts after 2 years of use. He would sit their cranking, cranking, cranking. He found out that if you floor it while cranking and then slowly let up it would fire up. Well, one day because he was cranking it so many times, his battery died. He replaced it with a new battery and WAA-LA!! It fired right up like in 1 second. Ever since he replaced his battery it has never had a bad start. Apparently his old battery - which was with the truck when he bought it and it was really old - didnt have enough amperage or something to power everything and it was taking a toll on the entire system. His charging system works well and the battery held 12 volts, but his truck just wouldn't start. His new battery fixed everything and it fires right up every time.

Added: Also, the first thing he did was replace his fuel filter and we did find out that his pressure regulator was leaking, but those did not solve the problem. He ran some really good fuel system cleaners like RXP which is amazing, but only a new battery could fix his problem. Find a friend who has a relatively new battery and try to use it and see if it fires up.

Regards,
BigMike
« Last Edit: Jun 09, 2004, 12:54:06 PM by BigMike »
Check out our new Rock Crawling Videos!
2016 56-speed 580:1 Tacoma Rock Crawler   
1981 36-speed 511:1 3RZ-FE Rock Crawler
1987 6-speed Supercharged 4A-GZE MR2
Instagram: @SlowestTacoma
Things are only impossible until they are not.
"The worst of both worlds, the best of neither." -abnormaltoy
"An informed question. But difficult to answer. I am what you see." -Nanaki

yotasrockontherock [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 100
  • Male Posts: 82
  • Member since May '04
  • I have no respect so I got banned
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jun 09, 2004, 02:19:45 PM »
well its a new battery but its not big enough to fit in the tray so maybe it is underpowered and i just drove it around the nehibor hood for about 15 minutes today and its not smoking anymore :thumbs: thanks for the tip of driving it around wt and it wasnt blue smoke it was white and yeah im gonna get some good fuel cleaner for it probally tomorrow or something and then tonight b4 i go to work im gonna take the cold start injector out of my dads runner and see if thats the problem cuz when its warm it will fire right up with me not haveing to push the gas or anything and yesterday i did some stuff to it nothing big but i took off the front rock guard but the two outside screws were frozen and i iddnt feel like messing arounf with it so i just took the cuttin wheel to it and its gone now and then i cut the tail pipe back so when i get the shackels for it next week i wont have to worry about doing that and for it next im either gonna get some add a leafs to get me through til next year when ill be getting an all pro 4 inch and 35s mtrs then after that ill probally get locked unless i get someone to lincoln lock it for me but how would you go about doing that and is it strong?
85 4runner 5.29s 31x10.50s sr5 2inch shackels

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jun 09, 2004, 04:00:58 PM »
my rear was welded and i loved it, it got a little squirly in the rain and wore down tires faster(why i took it out) but that was mostly my driving stile if its done right you will bust axles befor you break the welds. :thumbs:

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 99
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Jun 09, 2004, 09:03:30 PM »
Don't cut your tail pipe to much so that is under the body, or you wheel have to deal with fumes getting into the cab and you won't be able to drive with the back window down, cause it will get sucked right in. It's got to be out far enough to be carried away
RUBICON TESTED BIG BALLS APPROVED

yotasrockontherock [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jun 09, 2004, 10:26:24 PM »
yeah i know i cut it the same place my brother did and his is fine so i should be good :thumbs: tomorrow im going down to the yota yard(junk yard of all toyotas) and i gotta get a new washerfulid pump cuz mine it broken and my back panels are diffrent colors than the rest and in shity condition so i might see if i cant pick up a pair of those then i might sand down my pads tomorrow to get the squeak out of them and check to see if i have enough oil in the tranny cuz it wasnt going into gear to smoothly today could that also mean its new tranny time cuz its got 260k on it

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jun 10, 2004, 02:20:18 PM »
My tranny has 250,000 on it and besides a little howl in 4th and 5th it works fine. I might just be a little low or it wan't up to opperating temp , still a little cold

yotaboy79

• stuck in the shop
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: -19
  • Male Posts: 2,838
  • Member since Aug '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: Jun 10, 2004, 03:27:49 PM »
i wouldent worry about the exaust too much as long as its be hind the cab mine has 2 1/4 in all the way header to tail it has a turn down right behind the cab and i havent had a problem i only get a small wif of exaust when i back up or stop and thats with rear window open and doors taken off

yotasrockontherock [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jun 10, 2004, 08:40:50 PM »
let there be washer fulid i got a new pump today and installed it, but i got ripped off complety twenty bucks for a used one at the yota yard that place is a total rip off and i couldnt tell him no cuz i was scared he was gonna stab me and he like took it off a car and everything but it was scary and then my brother got a mufller and they had some guy like run under a eraily 90s runner to get it and he like choped it off and everything and tthe guy charged him 70 for a used mullfer but agin these guy look like they were gonna stab us if we said no so he took it and when we got home he put it under his truck and its the wrong mufller the pipe going form the mufler to the cad is to short with no bends and tomorrow we gotta go get his money back its gonna be scary

84runner

• Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Member since Dec '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jun 11, 2004, 10:55:53 AM »
Well damn  :headshake: you can get a brand new flow master for $70.00 . And as for the scary guys , walk in there and lay the law down  :yupyup: if they give you any crap at all , reach across the counter and grab the guy by his shirt. Then pull him just close enough so you can poke him in the eye.  Then grab your money and Run  :yupyup:

yotasrockontherock [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jun 11, 2004, 10:57:31 AM »
lol now thats the best idea ive heard all day

yotasrockontherock [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since May '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jun 12, 2004, 09:15:27 PM »
so the rear shackles are on got that done yesterday but right as i got home my brohter got home with poly urathane bushing so today i started to take them off so i could put the new bushing in and when i got one side undone i tired to fit them but they were to thick but its ok cuz they were only 25cents each then i painted the rear diff cover hot rod yellow then tomorrow im gonna paint the drums the same then front diff cover and calipers and then switch out radios and i might do the front shackles but im not sure and then the truck wont even start now cuz the cold start isnt working and since its in the garage it dosent get warm enough to start without it so i gotta switch out my dads for now to get it out of the garge when its all done then in like two months or so im thinking about maybe getting a genuine suspension 4inch lift front and rear springs has anyone heard anything bad about this lift such as stiffness and things of that sort

BirdDog

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 284
  • Male Posts: 239
  • Member since Jan '03
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jul 20, 2004, 06:48:59 PM »
Hey Mike who sells marvel mystery oil and RXP ? Can I get it at Kragen or Napa or do I need to come to your World Wide Head Quarters there in Fresno.?