Author Topic: what is the best tranny for a 1981 4x4 short bed...  (Read 2708 times)

boobap

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 160
  • Male Posts: 87
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
what is the best tranny for a 1981 4x4 short bed...
« on: Mar 18, 2008, 03:28:43 PM »
I am trying to put in a 5spd since mine is only a 4. I was doing a little research and the L50 5spd comes in 81-82 and the L52 comes in 83 only. Do you all agree that I would be better off trying to find the L53? Also, is it a direct bolt in or will I have to shorten the rear drive line?

(first post, so take it easy on me...)
An eye for an eye makes the world blind.

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
i think all the l series were the same length

i have never heard of the l53

i would get the marlin l52 heavy duty -- basically they use g54 inners in it -- its sweet for an L series

check it out:
http://www.marlincrawler.com/htm/transmission/l_series.htm
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
The 5 speed is longer than a 4 speed so yes you will have to shorten your rear d-line & might have to do some minor mod's to the x-member.
« Last Edit: Mar 18, 2008, 08:39:36 PM by Tallchevy350 »
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 742
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
the l43, l45, l50,and l52 are the same length. they say the l52 only came out in 83 but my 81 Toyota FSM calls the 5 speed an l52. also it calls the 2wd tranny is called a l48 HMMM? yeah if your going to stay with a l tranny, you want the l52hd.

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
sorry, fat fingured...did not mean L53...

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
The 5 speed is longer than a 4 speed so yes you will have to shorten your rear d-line & might have to do some minor mod's to the x-member.
NOT,     the L50 and L52 5 speeds  are  the exact same length as  both the L43  side shift 4 speed  and the l45 top shift   4 speed

L52  swaps right in with no mods   besides  some slight trimming of  the  tranny tunnel  IF  you had the L43

if  you have the L45 as a 81  should have then  its  a direct bolt in
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

boobap [OP]

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Member since Mar '08
    • View Profile
cool...then that is what I will be looking for. anyone got one that wants to get rid of it?!

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
They are not as strong as the later 5 speeds I wouldn't go with one of the early trans. Yes they(the later G52-54 , W56 and R trannies) are longer but the work will be well worth it. You don't have to modify the crossmember but you do have to move it back. You have to relocate the mounts, with mine a set of ubolts were used to move the x-member. The d-shafts had to be shortened/lengthened but that's done pretty cheap.
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008, 12:18:36 PM by 79coyotefrg »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
wait..... so are they the same length?

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
Yes all the L series transmissions are the same length. some people install the newer series like the G54 and the W56, then you have to move the crossmember and rework or change driveshafts.  I'm working on a R151/R150f hybrid install on my 79  and after I'm done I'm sure I'll spend more $$ and a ton more time than if i just bought a L52HD.

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
Yes all the L series transmissions are the same length. some people install the newer series like the G54 and the W56, then you have to move the crossmember and rework or change driveshafts.  I'm working on a R151/R150f hybrid install on my 79  and after I'm done I'm sure I'll spend more $$ and a ton more time than if i just bought a L52HD.
  :headscratch: so why ya doin it?

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
well I'm stubborn..  :hammerhead: I've never rebuilt a Toyota transmission and i like working on my toy.. and the R trannys are tuff.. and and once i mod my truck for the R series,  there's a bunch of them cheap for spares. plus if someone ever drops a 2.7 on me, marlin sells an adapter that bolts up to the R series.   :flamer: stuff i guess.

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
They are not as strong as the later 5 speeds I wouldn't go with one of the early trans. Yes they(the later G52-54 , W56 and R trannies) are longer but the work will be well worth it. You don't have to modify the crossmember but you do have to move it back. You have to relocate the mounts, with mine a set of ubolts were used to move the x-member. The d-shafts had to be shortened/lengthened but that's done pretty cheap.
Angelo told me  my L52SHD   was  as strong as a  W56  :disturbed:

at one point i was thinking of putting the 22RTE  i had  in my truck  and Angelo told me he was sure  my L52SHD  would hold up to it fine
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
They are stout little trans, except for 5th.
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

RN37DD

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Member since Apr '07
    • View Profile
the other nice thing about the l52 is they are top loaders. pull the top cover off and you can see everything. plus 5th gear is it's own unit. pull 5th gear off and with top shifter and a few parts you can turn an L45 into a 5 speed. yeah i thought 5th was going out on my L52 but now that I'm working on another tranny, it runs as smooth as can be.  playing with my mind it is.