Author Topic: 79 toyota 5" rear lift questions  (Read 1772 times)

79crawler

• Offline Rock Crawl'n
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
79 toyota 5" rear lift questions
« on: Mar 18, 2008, 10:00:20 PM »
I have a 79 toyota pick up long bed. im going to be installing traillgears 5" lift kit. i know i have to move the spring mounts forward. the problem is i can't move the shackel hanger back because the frame has been choped be hind the shackel mount. i was thinking of just moving the front mounts a little more forward to compinsate. Has any one done somthing simmiler? than i was noticing that i cant go to far forward or the axle would hit the gas tank when it flexes. i have about 5-6 inches between the axle and the tank as it stands now.would the axle go that far forward? also what is a good shackle angle to work with. i have herd that when the truck is in the air,the shackles should be near vertical. does that seem right? i know it sounds confusing, and why dont i just go try it and see what happens. was just wondering if im the only persone that has come across this problem, and i would like to try to eliminate any problems before i tear into somthing this deep. any info, advice or constructive critisim would be apreciated.

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
Re: 79 toyota 5" rear lift questions
« Reply #1 on: Mar 18, 2008, 11:25:09 PM »
the problem is i can't move the shackel hanger back because the frame has been choped be hind the shackel mount.
Build the frame long enough to accept your new shackle hanger.
i was thinking of just moving the front mounts a little more forward to compinsate. n i was noticing that i cant go to far forward or the axle would hit the gas tank when it flexes. i have about 5-6 inches between the axle and the tank as it stands now.
You don't have that much room. Your tire must be centered in your fender, too far forward or back & the tires hit sheet metal. The only way you can move your axle 5" or 6" forward is to remove your bed & build a flat bed or bobb the front of the bed so the tires stay centered to the fender.
also what is a good shackle angle to work with. i have herd that when the truck is in the air,the shackles should be near vertical.
There has to be some angle other wise it will ride  :pokinit: Look at you stock spring shackle angle & use that same angle.

:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #2 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:26:26 AM »
I have a 79 toyota pick up long bed. im going to be installing traillgears 5" lift kit. i know i have to move the spring mounts forward. the problem is i can't move the shackel hanger back because the frame has been choped be hind the shackel mount. i was thinking of just moving the front mounts a little more forward to compinsate. Has any one done somthing simmiler? than i was noticing that i cant go to far forward or the axle would hit the gas tank when it flexes. i have about 5-6 inches between the axle and the tank as it stands now.would the axle go that far forward? also what is a good shackle angle to work with. i have herd that when the truck is in the air,the shackles should be near vertical. does that seem right? i know it sounds confusing, and why dont i just go try it and see what happens. was just wondering if im the only persone that has come across this problem, and i would like to try to eliminate any problems before i tear into somthing this deep. any info, advice or constructive critisim would be apreciated.
:headshake: friends dont let friend  buy tg :headshake:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Mar 19, 2008, 06:36:37 AM »
I would check here maybe

http://trail-gear.com/pdf/classicrear-instructions.pdf

OR call trail gear
« Last Edit: Mar 19, 2008, 06:54:55 AM by DirToyBoy »
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

KDXSR5

• Poser Shot Extraordinaire
  • Offline The 2.5K Group
  • Turtle Points: 61
  • Male Posts: 2,812
  • Member since Dec '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:10:55 AM »
These guys may be able to help you better, because they should know their products better than the Marlin forum. The link Glen (79coyotefrg) posted explains why we do not know the product. They are NOT the same!!!

Link to who knows (or SHOULD know) about this product:

http://www.trail-gear.com/vbulletin/

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #6 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:37:20 AM »
I'm sure there are people here that have put tg springs on their vehicle that could help you answer this question. Now the question I'd have is since tg has their own bb why not ask there instead of a competetor of tg. For me this doesn't make sense. Actually it does but I won't go into that and open another can of worms. So does anyone have an answer to this question rather than just turning this into another bash tg thread?
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

TheCookieMonster

• Offline 4WD Legend
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 973
  • Member since Dec '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Mar 19, 2008, 08:45:18 AM »
all you need to do is add a 2x4 in. crossmember on the back of you frame...then mount your shackle mounts onto the new crossmember...that will give you the lenght you need.  about the shackle angle you dont want too much of an angle because your shackles  will lock against the frame. 10-15 deg.  :dunno:....dont quote me on that :slap:

79coyotefrg

• Rock Ninja
  • Member since May '02
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:00:20 PM »
I'm sure there are people here that have put tg springs on their vehicle that could help you answer this question. Now the question I'd have is since tg has their own bb why not ask there instead of a competetor of tg. For me this doesn't make sense. Actually it does but I won't go into that and open another can of worms. So does anyone have an answer to this question rather than just turning this into another bash tg thread?
but  BUT   :down:

first thing is  dont  move the mounts  so far forward :slap:  i have no clue how long  photocopy springs  are  but use a plumb bob  and  hang them  so the center pin is in the same location

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #9 on: Mar 19, 2008, 12:03:43 PM »
but  BUT   :down:

:therethere: I know, I know, easy boy, save it for one of those cocky mfer's that think theirs is better than ours. :gap:
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you