Author Topic: Just a thought...  (Read 2943 times)

kneedownnate

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 1128
  • Male Posts: 9,757
  • Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
Just a thought...
« on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:34:59 AM »
If there were a popup that asked you if you had searched before posting a new thread, would it help eliminate all the first posts by newbs about a subject which already had several recent threads?  Maybe something that popped up for your first X threads you started.  Not every post you make, just whenever you start your own thread in any of the tech sections. 

Just seems to me like it would put the cap on people starting 7 nearly identical threads each week asking the same questions.  Yes, the search does still kinda suck because it doesn't catelog related threads by date, but it's still very useful if looking for tech. 

Thoughts and opinions?

And no, bacon is not an option this time :nope:
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

jimbo74

• Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Just a thought...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:56:19 AM »
NO BACON?!

say it aint so!?
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:34:14 AM »
Maybe we could make this the pop up!

>>>> :idiot:
RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

Tallchevy

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 236
  • Male Posts: 3,562
  • Member since Dec '06
  • Where were going we don't need roads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:33:52 AM »
That sounds good but I have pop-up blocker. Just make it the first step before you are able to start a new thread  :twocents:
:angry: My child is an honor student at Anton Levay's School of Satanic Arts :angry:

87 4Runner redo
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=41959.0
87 Toyota 4Runner, SAS Rig Gallery
http://board.marlincrawler.com/index.php?topic=29877.msg3

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:40:42 AM »
I have popup blocker too, but if using firefox you can allow popups from certain sites.
RIP KYOTA

You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable.

Give a man venison, he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to hunt Blacktail, he'll be frustrated for life!

ninja turtle

• Offline The 1K Club
  • Turtle Points: 38
  • Male Posts: 1,072
  • Member since Sep '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:51:34 AM »
 ive been able to find whatever i was looking for by searching. im pretty new here and its not that hard to seach. i think its a good idea.

BLACKDOG

• 3.0 Killer
  • Turtle Points: 718
  • Male Posts: 7,644
  • Member since Aug '04
  • I used to fit
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Jan 28, 2008, 09:40:28 AM »
I do too.  Or mabye a confirmation note after you click post, saying "Did you search yet?  Are you really sure you want to do this?  If you haven't searched, you're an :idiot:

:dunno:
:usa: Its better to die on your feet than live on your knees :usa:

"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn't pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same, or one day we will spend our sunset years telling our children and our children's children what it was once like in the United States where men were free. "

"I don't believe in a government that protects us from ourselves."
              -Ronald Reagan

Don't take life too seriously, it isn't permanent

79coyotefrg

• Turtle Points: 1452
  • Male Posts: 22,633
  • Member since May '02
  • Solid axle Toys Rule ! ! !
    • View Profile
    • HotSprings Superlift ORV park
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2008, 10:40:59 AM »
:bat:  no bacon  :banned:
AR-TTORA founder 22R bored.060,LCE stage II race cam http://pure-gas.org/    32/36weber, :driving: Marlin 1200 NON ceramic clutch, L52SHD+dualcase #2919, cable-locker, Yukon 5.29 gears, 35's, Allpro ebrake, front springs, and high steer, F150rears    RIP Nitro 9-29-07 :(  I sure miss him :down: MarlinCrawlerInc IS NOT affiliated with TrailGear in any way

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:29:39 PM »
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:37:44 PM »
now can we get back to the bacon?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2008, 12:38:54 PM »
now can we get back to the bacon?

Just click the link and you'll have yours.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:25:38 PM »
I do too.  Or mabye a confirmation note after you click post, saying "Did you search yet?  Are you really sure you want to do this?  If you haven't searched, you're an :idiot:

Werd.  I know people sometimes think they should just post because they want answers now, but in the time they're waiting for people to answer their question, they probably could have found plenty of answers by searching.
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2008, 05:32:15 PM »
Or...how about a Marlin FAQ in one place, similar to the Pirate FAQ or the 4x4wire Tech section    and    a notice in the newbie sign up section to check first.
I don't lose any sleep over the same questions over and over...I just don't go to tech very much anymore and I've stopped going to some sites that cater to newbies.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2008, 06:45:42 PM »
See, that's the problem.  If you have a FAQ they'll still keep asking the same questions, but if there's a popup it'll actually force them to think before posting. 
RIP KYOTA

abnormaltoy

• Offline Crawler Guru
  • Turtle Points: 714
  • Male Posts: 640
  • Member since Jul '03
  • I'll do the thinnin' around here Baba Looey!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2008, 07:08:03 PM »
See, that's the problem.  If you have a FAQ they'll still keep asking the same questions, but if there's a popup it'll actually force them to think before posting. 

I can't tell you how many pop ups I click out of with looking at them. Face it, it's a hazard of any sport, every forum and it's probably the duty of those that know more to put up with the repetitive posts.
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first.

I contend that for a nation to try to tax itself into prosperity is like a man standing in a bucket and trying to lift himself up by the handle.
-- Winston Churchill

Censorship, that most subtle tool of oppression, the tool of the fearful and small minded. 8/15/2008

"It is interesting that we are asked to NOT judge all Muslims by the actions of a few lunatics. Too bad gun owners can't get same judgment."
Travis Tritt (I know!)

emsvitil

• Offline Silver Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 7571
  • Male Posts: 3,561
  • Member since May '07
    • View Profile
    • emsvitil's album
    • Buy me a soda
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2008, 08:12:59 PM »
The problem I always have with searches is that either you don't find what you're looking for, or you find way too much (and too much of what you're not looking for).................

Ed
SoCal
86 SR5 XtraCab
22RE  W56B
31x10.50R15

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #16 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:30:40 PM »
The problem I always have with searches is that either you don't find what you're looking for, or you find way too much (and too much of what you're not looking for).................

I think this would be the biggest issue in search problems, one word or phrase may bring up a bunch of threads with the same keywords. Then you spend the next hour opening different threads only to find they had nothing to do with the search except for the keywords.

Stocker

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 962
  • Male Posts: 173
  • Member since Oct '05
  • Since 1977
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Jan 31, 2008, 05:40:55 PM »
Nah, you can't force people to think -- at least not some people -- hey wait a minute, I hope I'm not describing myself here!   :think:
My goal in life is to be as a good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

If you don't learn something every day, you're not paying attention.

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:12:33 PM »
I don't think that applies to you :haha:  I know you can't force everybody to think, I work with enough of those types!
RIP KYOTA

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:37:14 PM »
Can we get back to the bacon I am hungry  :drooling:

kneedownnate [OP]

• Member since Oct '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Jan 31, 2008, 07:49:25 PM »
No more bacon, my house smelled like bacon for about 5 days after making a whole package the other day :ack:  I know I smelled like bacon when I drove down to pick up my springs from kiyul last weekend  :ack:  Their dog wouldn't leave me alone and kept licking the air :haha:
RIP KYOTA