Author Topic: Tiger Mauling SF Zoo  (Read 6797 times)

jimbo74

• Offline Gold Turtle Award
  • Turtle Points: 2872
  • Male Posts: 8,707
  • Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
Re: Tiger Mauling SF Zoo
« Reply #30 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:47:39 PM »
Then if that were true, the cat knew who he was goin after :headscratch:

yup that is what this whole thing is about, those 3 guys that were mauled were there in a group. reports vary, but one says that it was attackign one guy, his buddy came to scare it away (can you scare away a tiger?) it turned to him, slashed his throat, the other 2 ran to the cafe, and the tiger foloowed a blood trail and sought them out at the cafe over 300 yards away from the tiger pen

there are reports that the injuries of the other 2 survivors were minor flesh wounds

also this tiger was never actually "wild" this tiger was 4 years old and was born in the denver, co zoo

http://cbs5.com/local/tiger.zoo.Dhaliwal.2.619990.html
:usa:

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:49:11 PM »
So, you have a tiger chasing down your  :moon: and you sit in a coffee shop as a way to what... blend in hoping the tiger won't notice?

'Oh, just keep talking like we don't notice it, maybe it'll go away'

reports say that they went there to seek refuge indoors and whatnot, but since the zoo was closed already everyone had pretty much closed up shop

The cost of freedom is always high, but Americans have always paid it. And one path we shall never choose, and that is the path of surrender, or submission.

~ John F. Kennedy ~

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: -1
  • Male Posts: 322
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Jan 03, 2008, 12:57:28 PM »
god forbid a predatory animal does what it does best.... you cant expect it not to protect itself, or to kill if it were to ecscape. You can point the fingers at two groups of people. the zoo and the darwins.
_[O!!!!!O]_

People often ask how they stack crap so tall....

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Turtle Points: 0
  • Female Posts: 299
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:06:29 PM »

god forbid a predatory animal does what it does best.... you cant expect it not to protect itself, or to kill if it were to ecscape. You can point the fingers at two groups of people. the zoo and the darwins.

Oh yeah, I love when you have some :idiot: that knows there are gators in a lake, they go swimming anyway, get attacked by the gator and now the gator has to be destroyed.
Who was the idiot that went into the gator's territory in the first place?
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

How the Mammoth came to be

Number Two :pokinit:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Turtle Points: 77
  • Male Posts: 2,472
  • Member since Jun '07
  • IFS no longer! - Member #8342
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #34 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:07:09 PM »
tigers are smart arent they?
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

iɹǝʌo ǝɯ ııoɹ sıɥʇ pɐǝɹ uɐɔ noʎ ɟı

:flamer: IFS

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:10:12 PM »
"shut your eyes tommy I THINK HE SEES US!"
_[O!!!!!O]_

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Turtle Points: 8
  • Male Posts: 4,834
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:11:19 PM »
Sad, but at the same time doesnt really surprise me. If they were indeed shooting at it (i briefly heard mention of alcohol involvement, dont quote me on that) and the wall was only 12 feet high..... seems pretty simple to me. ive never been to the san fran zoo but my girlfriend has and she said it was a pretty "janky zoo" in her words. Personally, i do not like zoos and i dont support them either, last time i went to a zoo it left me very depressed. big cats (let alone any animal at a zoo) never look happy and i am sure getting harassed by some idiots with only a 12 foot wall between you was easily enough to tick the tiger off. its too bad idiots and a lack of planning on the zoo's part led to the animal being destroyed.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #37 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:15:46 PM »
Sad, but at the same time doesnt really surprise me. If they were indeed shooting at it (i briefly heard mention of alcohol involvement, dont quote me on that) and the wall was only 12 feet high..... seems pretty simple to me. ive never been to the san fran zoo but my girlfriend has and she said it was a pretty "janky zoo" in her words. Personally, i do not like zoos and i dont support them either, last time i went to a zoo it left me very depressed. big cats (let alone any animal at a zoo) never look happy and i am sure getting harassed by some idiots with only a 12 foot wall between you was easily enough to tick the tiger off. its too bad idiots and a lack of planning on the zoo's part led to the animal being destroyed.
zoos are kind of depressing, the animals are only ever pissed off or depressed and really sad looking. then espicially if it was being taunted. if i was a tiger thats probly the same thing id try to do.
:willynilly: '89 truck SAS sittin on 35's, Tacoma rear axle w/ E-Locker, welded front

kneedownnate - You can go through life being scared of the possible, or you can have a little fun and tease the inevitable

Not A Toy

• Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Mar '07
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: Jan 03, 2008, 01:26:27 PM »
 :werd:
_[O!!!!!O]_

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Male Posts: 1,909
  • Member since Aug '06
  • One Toyota + One Mopar = Topar
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:34:11 PM »
Went to the Baltimore zoo a few years ago.  If I was an animal there I would have bitten everyone.  Everywhere we went people were being mean to the animals and the folks that worked their did not seem to care.  My wife and I typically go to the N.C. zoo  we like this zoo they have large areas for the animals to roam in not just a cage and since my wife is a teacher  they have come up to her school in VA to teach the kids about animals.  We have also been invited by this zoo to take her class down there and spend the night on more than one occasion.  We will do this in the next few years.  My wife and I have attended classes at this zoo at night and they are very informative and obviously care about animals.  I feel a zoo when run properly has its place.  It is a great place to teach children as well as adults that we are not the only ones on the planet and we need to take care of the world for all the creatures.  Oh crap I sound like some kind of hippie tree hugger  :willynilly:

jimbo74 [OP]

• Member since Sep '05
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:37:52 PM »
topar is a hippie tree hugger!

~ John F. Kennedy ~

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:39:54 PM »
  See this is how bad rumors get started.

DTB

• Shoutbox Moderator
  • Turtle Points: 2
  • Male Posts: 7,110
  • Member since Nov '05
  • Squirrels and beer don't mix
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:41:09 PM »
hey, i found a picture

RIP KYOTA
toyminator2000 – There has to be dumb people in order for there to be smart people
Low down & durrrrrrty Rock Stacking Web Wheeler :driving: Too many Yuppies..:shake:...Not enough Hippies :flamer:  Hobbies: stealing cookies, slangin' tacos, owning tequila bars, wheeling with paco

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: Jan 03, 2008, 05:44:02 PM »
Sexy huh yeah I know chicks dig me!  :laugh:

NorCalToy

• Official Super Badass
  • Offline The 2K Group
  • Member since Jun '07
    • View Profile
    • Buy me a beer
« Reply #44 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:28:42 PM »
Went to the Baltimore zoo a few years ago.  If I was an animal there I would have bitten everyone.  Everywhere we went people were being mean to the animals and the folks that worked their did not seem to care.  My wife and I typically go to the N.C. zoo  we like this zoo they have large areas for the animals to roam in not just a cage and since my wife is a teacher  they have come up to her school in VA to teach the kids about animals.  We have also been invited by this zoo to take her class down there and spend the night on more than one occasion.  We will do this in the next few years.  My wife and I have attended classes at this zoo at night and they are very informative and obviously care about animals.  I feel a zoo when run properly has its place.  It is a great place to teach children as well as adults that we are not the only ones on the planet and we need to take care of the world for all the creatures.  Oh crap I sound like some kind of hippie tree hugger  :willynilly:
i wouldnt last long in a zoo (as an animal)

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: Jan 03, 2008, 06:52:42 PM »

i have heard pretty good things about the NYC Zoo. I have been to the Sacramento Zoo and the San Diego Zoo. Sac is a joke, the animals look pitifully depressed and sad and people do the same as you said, jeer and yell and throw crap at the animals. The San Diego Zoo was better but it still wasnt that great. enclosures were still pretty small and most of hte animals did not seem happy at all. i have heard of a zoo somewhere in the states that has wide open areas with compatible animals, where you ride a safari bus around to look at them. the enclosures are at least a dozen acres or more each and it simulates a real environment, not just an enclosure. i dont mind zoos such as that where it is as realistic and the most comfortable for the animals. but i have heard a lot of negative things about the SF Zoo and many others. I dont expect the SF zoo to recover from this one. from what i have read they have had a lot of trouble in the past. I am all for education but sometimes I feel its better to watch a film or a lecture than to see the animal in all its depressed, suffering glory. the tigers at the Sac Zoo just paced back and forth in front of the glass. I tried to look into its eyes but there was nothing there but blackness. The animals I see on TV in the wild have life in their eyes, most animals at the zoo do not.
85 4Runner Build  /  Cool Foreign Toyotas  /  Toyota: We Want Diesel FB Page    Rockcrawlintoy – i guess moms will put the pups up on the beach when they go fisting

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Jan 03, 2008, 07:08:15 PM »
I agree with what you said about seeing the life in the animals eyes most zoo animals just lie around but I also wonder how much of this is because most of these animals are more nocturnal.  I would like to see them at night when all the people are not at the zoo.  This is why my wife and I will take her class to spend the night at the zoo some day.  I feel that for a child seeing the animal in person is a big eye opener and great tool for teaching them about the earth and its creatures so if a few are at a zoo and not in the wild I think thats a plus for the rest of the animals.  If they can teach us knuckle headed humans to think about something other than ourself.  Okay I am done MrsWM you may start the  :biked: now.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Jan 04, 2008, 06:46:03 AM »
Sexy huh yeah I know chicks dig me!  :laugh:

Chicks dig BO covered by the stench of petrulli oil  :yupyup:

Okay I am done MrsWM you may start the  :biked: now.

Ok I'll give you a     just for GP's but I've said my piece already.  :gap:

Carrion    
Life is like a bowl of beer flavored chocolate covered dog turds.. it makes no sense. :pokinit:

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Turtle Points: 730
  • Male Posts: 13,860
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #48 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:26:10 AM »
i have heard of a zoo somewhere in the states that has wide open areas with compatible animals, where you ride a safari bus around to look

You'd be referring to San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park, it is in a seperate location from the zoo. Not only do they have the tram around the enclosures but you can also walk the park. No you're not in the inclosure's but it is a wide open environment for the animals and you almost can't detect the enclosures at all. They also have campouts where you stay overnight in the park with the animals to see how they are different at night. It is a very cool place for animals and should be how all "zoos" are modeled after, unfortunately most zoos are just cages. Just to get in the place you walk inside the bird enclosure, yes inside with all the different birds. It is a very large enclosure that has several sections to keep the predator birds away from the others.

http://www.sandiegozoo.org/wap/index.html
The Ghost-Rider/Ghost Runner

No matter how far you fall, the ground will always catch you

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #49 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:29:31 AM »
Oh, and since nobody has mentioned it yet the L.A. Zoo sucks.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:31:47 AM »
You'd be referring to San Diego Zoo's Wild Animal Park, it is in a seperate location from the zoo. Not only do they have the tram around the enclosures but you can also walk the park. No you're not in the inclosure's but it is a wide open environment for the animals and you almost can't detect the enclosures at all. They also have campouts where you stay overnight in the park with the animals to see how they are different at night. It is a very cool place for animals and should be how all "zoos" are modeled after, unfortunately most zoos are just cages. Just to get in the place you walk inside the bird enclosure, yes inside with all the different birds. It is a very large enclosure that has several sections to keep the predator birds away from the others.

Busch Gardens is like that too and the disney animal park is as well I believe, I've never been there, that I can live with if we have to keep wild animals captive for our selfish viewing pleasure. In some areas you can hardly see the animals cause they are off wandering the outback.

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #51 on: Jan 04, 2008, 09:38:51 AM »
Busch Gardens is like that too and the disney animal park is as well I believe, I've never been there, that I can live with if we have to keep wild animals captive for our selfish viewing pleasure. In some areas you can hardly see the animals cause they are off wandering the outback.

Oh yeah I went there when I was in Orlando right after they opened and you are right didn't see much but they (Disney) do make the ride a little more interesting it's more like an Indiana Jones tour. At the San Diego Wild Animal Park they have a lot more animals than Disney does so you generally see most of the animals, plus they are set up like the Serningette Planes so viewing is real easy and they have view points throughout the park. If you go there you definitely see a difference in the animals, the place looks like home for them. Disney is more like a zoo with hidden enclosures.

topar

• Offline The 1.5K Club
  • Member since Aug '06
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:26:37 PM »
Sounds like S.D. Wild animal park is like the NC Zoo.  This is the type of place that I think is okay.  Not the ones where the animals are in some cage and you can walk up to them.  If this what you want to see you might as well go to the state prison.  I cant believe I got of that easy with MWM  :disturbed:

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #53 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:29:44 PM »
Sounds like S.D. Wild animal park is like the NC Zoo.  This is the type of place that I think is okay.  Not the ones where the animals are in some cage and you can walk up to them.  If this what you want to see you might as well go to the state prison.  I cant believe I got of that easy with MWM  :disturbed:

:rofl2: I think the animals in prison are more dangerous, I have a friend that works for the CA prison system and what he says happens is scary.

46&2

• Hillbilly
  • Member since Dec '05
  • California livin'
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:33:44 PM »

Damn, I wish I had gone there instead of the San Diego Zoo itself. Though it has been about 8 years since I was there, perhaps it was not open yet when I was last in So Cal. thanks for the info though i wanted to say it was in california but i wasnt sure.

Lady Di

• Goddess of Mud
  • Rock Ninja
  • Offline Rock Master
  • Member since Nov '04
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Jan 04, 2008, 12:44:11 PM »

Sorry Topar, I was busy and didn't have time for a proper :idiot:  I'll get back to you on that.  :gap:

Where is the Mammoth?

Rocksurfer

• Momentum Man
  • Member since Jul '04
  • Lego Enforcement
    • View Profile
    • Spinnin4s 4x4 Club
« Reply #56 on: Jan 04, 2008, 10:44:33 PM »
Damn, I wish I had gone there instead of the San Diego Zoo itself. Though it has been about 8 years since I was there, perhaps it was not open yet when I was last in So Cal. thanks for the info though i wanted to say it was in california but i wasnt sure.

It was there then, I was a member of the Zoological Society up to 1998. It has been there since 1972.